Dick Brown - new Book [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Dick Brown - new Book

striblue
03-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Dick Brown and I have been exchanging emails and he is almost complete in his unpdated and revised edition on Bonefish flies. As most of you know the original book was the reference for Bonefish flies and was my bible in practicing to tie flies as I remember tying about 130 of the 150 in the book. I would have tied the rest but did not have the specific material at the time... The collection is in a frame and on my wall at CAC. I hope to have him down for a day to fish Monomoy and look forward to that book. It is being published by Lyons Press and I will provide more information about it as it becomes available.

WW28
03-20-2011, 06:11 PM
That is one of my favorite all time books. Cant wait to see a new one. Thanks

Eric
03-23-2011, 11:12 AM
you mean there's more to life than Crazy Charlies??

FredA
03-23-2011, 01:15 PM
you mean there's more to life than Crazy Charlies??

Ya, there's Gotcha's. :devil:

striblue
03-23-2011, 07:16 PM
.........and "The Horror"..named after, some say...yours truly.:lildevl:

MarshRunner
03-27-2011, 11:42 AM
John and friends,

Thanks for the nice comments about Bonefish Fly Patterns.

Hereís an update on the upcoming new edition of the book.

As John mentioned, Iíve been working on a new second edition of the book for a while. It went out of print about 5 years ago and Iíve had quite a few queries both online and at shows and clubs asking if I knew when it might be reprinted. I also had an odd request from a doctor in Toronto for any old beat up copy I might have lying around. He said used copies were going for up to $600 at some book resellers and on EBay ... and he wanted to get hold of a readable copy for less than the price of a new reel.

Anyway, I think all that craziness has finally settled down as rumors of a new edition began making the rounds, and the new edition of the book is now scheduled to release early this summer.

The second edition is considerably bigger than the original book with about a third more fly patterns, and, like the original edition, the flies are fully profiled with tying, fishing, and location notes from the patternsí creators. I substantially rewrote, expanded, and updated much of the text especially the sections on what it takes to make a good fly, prey discoveries affecting fly design, fly selection for different places and conditions, design trends among todayís best tiers, and materials & sources.

I hope you will be pleased with the results. We are currently scheduling book signings at fly shops, retailers, and other venues and the dates will be posted on my website which you will find listed in my forum profile. There is also a pre-publication listing for the book on Amazon, under Bonefish Fly Patterns, 2nd Edition, Tying, Selecting, and Fishing All the Best Bonefish Flies from Todayís Best Tiers.

Iíll post back on this string with more about the new flies in it when the book is released.

Dick Brown

P.S. And, yes, there are a few more bonefish patterns out there than Charlies, Gotchas, and Horrors, but those three are still pretty darn good ones aren't they!

striblue
03-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks Dick, that is the kind of information that is great....look forward to it and I will be speaking with you at some point about the summer or fall.

MarshRunner
07-08-2011, 05:26 AM
The book has now been released. Here's some early (and much appreciated) praise and a summary of what's new in the book.

I'll be happy to answer any questions about the book--or bones and flies in general.

Dick B

EARLY PRAISE
“With the publication of the new edition of Bonefish Fly Patterns, I feel honored to have been a small part in an unprecedented effort that is as important and pertinent now, as the day it was first published.” Tim Borski, innovative artist, angler, and flats fly designer

“Brown’s new book is a modern, clearly written treasure of fly construction, selection, and usage. I intend to devour it as avidly as I’d want a double digit bonefish to devour my fly.”—Vic Gaspeny, veteran Florida Keys flats guide and IGFA fly-rod bonefish record holder (14lb 6oz bonefish)

“The first edition of Bonefish Fly Patterns has always sat within arm's reach of my vise and I thought it always would. But with over 45 new patterns, the revised edition is sure to take the original's spot as the definitive guide to bonefish bugs.”—Dave Skok, Professional fly tier, author, photographer, and IGFA world record holder

“The new Bonefish Fly Pattern, 2nd Edition book by Dick Brown is as much for any and all bonefish anglers as it is for fly tiers. Beside great flies, from great tiers, there is a wealth of information about bonefish and their feeding preferences and habits. The Location Notes, Fishing Notes, Prey Notes and Anecdotes are a book unto themselves.”—Brian O’Keefe, veteran flats angler, angling photographer, and founder of Catch Magazine

WHAT'S NEW

Several things are new in the book. First off, I added 47 patterns in the new edition, beyond the 150 in the original. Most of the flies I added are new patterns or closely held secret patterns that have not been seen or fished by many anglers. Some were created by new flats anglers with fresh, inquisitive eyes—like Victor Trodella who developed the killer Ghost tailing fly and Omeko Glinton who gave birth to the Meko Special. Others like Mark Tomchin’s Lap Dancer, Eric Peterson’s Spawning Shrimp, Vic Gaspeny’s Threadhead, Rick Simonsen’s Simram, and Patrick Dorsy’s Kwan and Bone Slappa are creations of skilled flats veterans willing to pass along the exact recipes of go-to favorites they’ve relied on for taking big fish and/or winning tournaments for years.
The Threadhead is also an example of just how tightly guarded some patterns become. Vic Gaspeny first tied it and threw it in 1985, and he and tournament partner Richard Stanczyk (owner of Islamorada’s Bud N’ Mary’s) won or placed in many Keys tournaments for over two decades with it, as well as scoring Vic’s world record 14lb 6oz fish. We talked about it many times over that period but it took me 18 years to pry the exact recipe and details out of him!
A few of the new creations, like the Toad and the Slinky Toad, were developed in response to significant research findings in recent feeding studies that established the importance of newly discovered prey forms in the diet of Florida and Bahamian bonefish—especially the gulf toadfish. Four of them—the Bastard Crab, Big Ugly, Merkwan, and Bunny Crab—come from a true marine biology researcher, Aaron Adams, who is both a marine research scientist and an avid angler (and also director of the Bonefish & Tarpon Trust).
A couple of the additions were tried and true classics I left out of the first edition—like Pete Perinchief’s Horror and Nat Ragland’s venerable variant of his Puff permit killer, the Mini-Puff. I guess I felt like they were so common they didn’t need to be documented (and they were described in my original edition of my first book, Fly Fishing for Bonefish. But in retrospect, both flies are still very productive around the world, and I had to get them into this new edition of the book.

Finally, several new entries, like the Skok/Boyle collaboration, the Reverend Laing fly, Bevin’s Bully Special, and Trodella’s Ghost, were driven—at least in part—by new tying materials or novel uses of existing materials, which have enabled tiers to find novel solutions to old bonefish challenges like flash intensity, coloration, translucency, and splash impact.
But new patterns are only part of what I added to the book. I also heavily updated the sections suggesting flies for different destinations, the chapter on sources for fly patterns and materials, and the materials glossary. And I virtually rewrote the chapter on design alternatives and trends to capture the profusion of exciting new techniques and discoveries that today’s tiers are incorporating in flies to better induce that magic moment when a bonefish strikes. Here are a few examples:
• Development of soft-landing, reverse-splayed carapaces of wool and hair to enable crabs to land quietly and sink fast;
• Use of trailing-leg designs for better imitation of the paddling movements of swimming crabs;
• Realistic exploration of rear-facing postures in patterns to suggest the aggressive/defensive stances of attacked prey;
• Improved balancing of weight versus mass and density of materials to refine control of splashdown and sink rate;
• Creative use of new reflective materials to increase control of flash in patterns;
• Implementation of novel dubbing techniques to soften splash profiles and better display prey translucency;
• And—perhaps most exciting of all—the cascade of incredibly innovative methods for incorporating better triggering elements in fly patterns to improve hook-up rates on the water.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa325/BonefishDick/BoneFishCoverHRHiMed.jpg

www.dickbrownbonefishing.com

Dble Haul
07-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Dick-

Now that I have some practical bonefish experience, I think that I shall purchase your updated book. Many thanks for your insights and efforts towards making this new edition happen.

MarshRunner
07-09-2011, 04:47 AM
You're very welcome Mark. Feel free to post any questions you have after you read it and I'll try to answer them here.

Dick

MarshRunner
07-15-2011, 01:24 PM
UPDATE

I’ll be doing book signings at several New England venues in the next few weeks, which are listed here:
(non-sponsor link removed)

There is also some early praise from Dave Skok, Tim Borski, and others at:
(non-sponsor link removed)

Dick B

juro
07-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Please refer to PM I sent a couple of weeks ago

- thanks and best of luck with this epic publication

gunner
07-19-2011, 09:52 AM
My wife has been complaining about how many books I have. Any chance your book will come out in a Kindle version, so I can download it that way and hear less complaints?
Joe

MarshRunner
07-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Gunner, it is already offered in a Kindle format on Amazon. Hope you enjoy it.

Dick