GPS "waypoints" on your DROID phone [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: GPS "waypoints" on your DROID phone

juro
03-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Yet another reason to get Verizon / Droid... a free app called "RightHere" saves current location and allows recall. This is very useful when fishing rivers in remote areas. After fishing along a stretch of river it's often tough to find one's car once you get into the dense forest buffer zone between roads and the river.

It's also handy when doing last-minute shopping at the mall... like where did I park again? :D

striblue
03-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Yes Juro...I have got that....Droid also has a great Tide Application and Maritime weather application...all free.....not to mention a Knot guide (IF you need something you have not tied or know from memory) a great Compass as well.

juro
03-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Did you upgrade to the extended battery? Reviews say over 3 days without charging.

striblue
03-08-2011, 09:56 AM
NO...I have not, I will have to look into it...I have not used the application yet...but will look at that upgrade.

juro
03-09-2011, 09:25 PM
You're missing out on a very good app... just did a navigate to the waypoint where I was fishing just yesterday... 3,203 miles with tolls and a ferry.

MartyG
03-10-2011, 04:15 PM
I bought the Droid Pro the first day it came out. It's global so it works in the Bahamas and BVI's.:cool:

Couldn't find the app you're talking. Do you have a link.

Thanks.

Marty

striblue
03-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Yes Juro, I can not find it either...not in the droid market basket as far as I can tell.

juro
03-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Thought you said you had it loaded already? Just go to "Market" and search on "waypoint" (for dozens of choices) or "RightHere GPS" (for the specific one). That's where I got it.

Righthere might not be the best - try them all.

vtloon
03-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Does the application require a cell (3G) signal to display position?

juro
03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
It uses google maps, so if you have that running on the droid platform it will work. If you don't have verizon your coverage in remote places can be sketchy.

striblue
03-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Sorry...I did not ...I had another application and confused the two

juro
03-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Ah - I see. Well I'll bet there are several good ones... Jeff Borkowski mentioned some that support tracking like real GPS devices. It would eat battery life but could be very useful or even be a lifesaver in a sudden fog on a big tide.

chainlynx
03-10-2011, 09:50 PM
I am headed camping in the Bahamas and I am told Magellan does not offer Bahama maps. Any advice for a gps and Bahama maps? Thanks!

juro
03-11-2011, 12:10 AM
I use "Google Earth" free on-line.

Before going to a new island, I mark and save lat/long data which can be output to a file from G.E. Then upload into GPS using the cable provided and voila. Although there is no "map" just name the spots properly and they are very very useful when used in conjunction with the actual waypoints you mark on locale.

I would say that on average my predictive locations were within 10-20 feet of the actual spots with only one or two corrections needed on-site vs. the satellite image waypoints.