Movie, "The River Why" [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Movie, "The River Why"

OC
02-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Anyone see the movie yet? It has played at some festivals from what I hear. We will have the premier in Hood River next week I guess. Reviews sound bad and David Duncan took producers to court to stop the movie but lost. Juro, you want to go to the Premier? You can drink beer in the theater.

JR SPEY
02-19-2011, 09:55 AM
They finished shooting this well over two years ago, and it made it's first appearance at a festival last April, I believe. Since the reviews have not been good, I think it's likely to go straight to DVD and not get a theatrical release.

vtloon
02-19-2011, 10:31 AM
I thought it was a great book. However, I'd think it would be a difficult book to make into a movie, with it's in & out mixture of story telling and near fantasy.

OC
02-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Went to see movie last night and I will honestly say that it was the worst film I have ever watched, Tracy thought the same. It was so bad the fly fishing audience hissed at the end. It had nothing to do with the book, I know most movies don't follow well but this was putrid. I'm so sick from thinking that I wasted 2 hours away from home to watch this piece of trash That I won't say any more about it except this film will not reach the theaters.

JR SPEY
02-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Ya think that might be why David James Duncan sued to prevent it from even being finished? He had another cast and crew ready to work on his adaptation of his book, but it never got off the ground due to this one having just about finished filming when Mr. Duncan's was about to get under way. I'm thinking a script written by Mr. Duncan might have actually produced a decent movie. Oh, well. We'll probably never know.