Native Steelhead [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Native Steelhead

juro
02-08-2011, 09:23 AM
It's an addiction. I can't think straight... need to get back to the PNW. Just got word that I will be back in a couple of weeks to start a project which may go months :D

Here's the last pic I took on recent the trip...

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs289.snc6/181729_500460919314_691204314_6354959_7714373_n.jp g

petevicar
02-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Funny looking Steelhead.:wink:

OC
02-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Congrtats, Portland or Seattle?

bonefishmon
02-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Funny looking Steelhead.:wink:

You silly! That's a camera caught, yet untouched Steelhead eater. Freedom at last! Good time to explore the upper Queets if you can get across the river at the campground.
Or even get to the campground. Hartzell Creek down should be doable at the eight mile mark. Big place out there. Good luck Juro.

juro
02-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Portland Steve - looking forward to more fishing on the Hood. Also want to test the Clackamas R, looked pretty good last visit.

I want to get back over to the OP as well, probably the second weekend.

fredaevans
02-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Head for the Rogue River here in Southern Oregon. Our 'prime' winter run season is mid-Feb to April 1. Although not many do, you can even keep up to 5 'Native Fish' over (if memory serves here) 24". Just posted elsewhere, if you fly in, you'll be putting on your waders 10 minutes after you leave the airport (Tou Velle Park).

fae

juro
02-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Hi Fred - Thanks for the tip! I don't think I'll be killing any wild fish, but would love to hook some. Are you going to be fishing it during this prime season?

I just might have to call Jim Shaunessy at Beaulah and pop down there.

fredaevans
03-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Hi Fred - Thanks for the tip! I don't think I'll be killing any wild fish, but would love to hook some. Are you going to be fishing it during this prime season?

I just might have to call Jim Shaunessy at Beaulah and pop down there.

We're having a bit of a spate of high water at the moment, but the projection of the winter run is very good. Here's one 'gage' you want to watch if your fishing the upper river. For flea flickers, what you want is a cfs of under 3,000 and a turbidity reading of 7 or less.

Above either .... bring a drift rod and lots of pencil lead ... you'll need them.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=14339000

This is the gage at Dodge Bridge (next one down is the old (now gone) Gold Ray dam site. This one has all normal water flow and all the major/minor streams coming into the river above Medford.

Flows are on the high side, but water clarity is looking good!

A very late response .... My Bad!! ... but you've still got some time to do a 'I gotta get out of here' trip to my corner of the world.

Fred

Edit: Need to go into my CP and figure out why I'm not getting notifications of recent posts.

fredaevans
03-13-2011, 06:47 AM
Easy answer .... WRONG E-mail address.:o