Olympic Peninsula trip [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Olympic Peninsula trip

juro
02-04-2011, 08:54 PM
After a work project in Portland I had that fantastic weekend with Steve (OC) and Tracy in Hood River before heading out to the OP to chase steel.

The OP has a special place in my heart, it was the first place I explored when I moved to Seattle many moons ago. Now that I am in Boston, I savor every opportunity to chase steel, summer or winter, in the storied rivers like the Hoh, Sol Duc, Bogachiel, Calawah, Queets... etc.

I was chill until the end of the week, sleeping in and exploring, taking pictures, and visiting Hurricane Ridge etc. Leland Miyawaki joined me on Wednesday. I had a pull here and a poke there but just before dark last night I connected with an explosive Sol Duc fish that eventually got the better of me. It was an epic fight, but no photo this time.

Nonetheless, it was a great trip and all the mental clutter from consecutive work weekends, snowstorms, bills, etc. washed away by the broken currents flowing over hidden boulders and a line on the swing.

http://flyfishingforum.com/destinations/OP/jan2011/hohriver.jpg
Hoh River

http://flyfishingforum.com/destinations/OP/jan2011/leland.jpg
Leland on the lower Hoh River

http://flyfishingforum.com/destinations/OP/jan2011/trees.jpg
Evening light on the tree line, Olympic National Park

http://flyfishingforum.com/destinations/OP/jan2011/seastack1.jpg
Sea stack formed by ancient lava flow, mouth of the Hoh River

Jim Miller
02-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Beautiful country!Looks like a fun trip. Thanks for sharing.

Juro...you gotta come up this Spring and fish with us in NY.
(not as pretty....but maybe a better chance to hook up w/ some steel) ;)

FLGator
02-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Juro,
Glad you got back out this way and fit in some time to explore the local opportunities again. The OP is a very, very special place. Thanks for sharing.

OC
02-05-2011, 12:23 PM
What fish does Leland have on in the Pic?:confused: :confused:

bonefishmon
02-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Juro. Thanks for bringing us back. Special place indeed! Excellent photos.

Phil

juro
02-06-2011, 07:06 PM
OC - Leland was lifting on the dangle but yes it does look like he's on, the fishy guy that he is I would never be surprised!

Thanks FLGator it was awesome being able to revisit my old stomping grounds.

Jim - 50 degree days made it pleasant and there were fish around, just had to figure out which of the many rivers to hit which I did just as time ran out! March sounds like the time to hit the SR?

Phil - the Elwha was open below the bridge and it's looking great. I can't wait until the dam is out - within our lifetime we should see some big changes on the OP.

Jim Miller
02-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Juro
Yipper....
March-April depending on water level and temp. February is not bad either! :D
(River will blow out with Spring thaw/Rain somewhere in that time period)

I am going to try some of the intruder style patterns this Spring. Traditionally I have used egg, nymph and small streamer patterns in the spring. Maybe Bigger is Better???:eek:

Moonlight
02-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Hey we had a great fire and were looking forward to you and Leland joing us maybe next time. Funny your guys single malts are pretty safe around Hunnicutt, Mahony , and I. (be fearful for your wine though):D

juro
02-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Hey Pat - got too late after Leland got out of work and beelined over to Forks. BTW - I hooked up bigtime on the Sol Duc as I thought I might but the thing was too hot to handle and no pic this year. Epic fish though... as hot as a summer run.

bonefishmon
02-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Obstruction Point and Whiskey Bend Roads are high on my agenda for the next sight seeing side trip if they are passable. Both lead to or from the Hurricane Ridge Road with Obstruction Point above tree line. They are most likely gated but walkable. My first trip found me doing a little too much sight seeing and not enough fishing. Eye candy everywhere in the Park! If you love the mountains and are visiting Seattle, plan a few or three days around seeing the OP. From space I see mountain roads due south of the Hoh River. Uh oh. Another side trip and 4X4 rental.

Phil

Leland Miyawaki
02-09-2011, 09:12 AM
It was a good but quick visit Juro. It was great to fish with you again and will see you in few weeks, hopefully. They are waiting for us.

Here's my favorite pic from the trip. The First Pool, where we saw the sea stacks, smelled the ocean and heard the birds and breakers.

(sorry it's too large for this forum)

Leland.