What is a Rip Trip? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: What is a Rip Trip?

Kimosabe
02-03-2011, 08:52 AM
dumbass question :confused: :biggrin:

Paxton
02-03-2011, 11:28 AM
It's a fishing trip to the extreme end of South Monomoy where a tidal rip forms...Keith takes us out, usually in groups of 10.
Ron

teflon_jones
02-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Kim I see you're still alive. :)

sickb4st4rd
02-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Keith takes us out, usually in groups of 10.

Is there a boat involved, or is it somehow more medieval ?

edit: Apologies, that was just Cabin Fever talkin.

Mike Oliver
02-08-2011, 08:03 AM
There is a rather nice fast boat involved which means it costs a bob or two. Last year for 12 Guys it worked out at $50 each. But who knows for this year with petrol prices rising daily.

Rip Trip--- Probably one of the best fishing days ever.

Mike

sickb4st4rd
02-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Rip Trip--- Probably one of the best fishing days ever.
Mike

That's what I was thinking - yeah!

I have fished the rips, just SouthWest of Monomoy, but not for long at all. I arrived right as a blitz was happening. Unfortunately my fly fishing exploits were cut short almost immediately - due to wife and son simultaneously becoming violently seasick when the boat started bobbing up and down on the rips!

So will the Striper Clave evolve into a rip trip or will there in effect be multiple gatherings at different locations?

titleguy
02-08-2011, 01:47 PM
dumbass question :confused: :biggrin:

Par for the course from you...:hihi:

Mike Oliver
02-08-2011, 04:02 PM
That's what I was thinking - yeah!

I have fished the rips, just SouthWest of Monomoy, but not for long at all. I arrived right as a blitz was happening. Unfortunately my fly fishing exploits were cut short almost immediately - due to wife and son simultaneously becoming violently seasick when the boat started bobbing up and down on the rips!

So will the Striper Clave evolve into a rip trip or will there in effect be multiple gatherings at different locations?

Ok I attended the Clave last year. 12+1 got onto a Rip Trip on the Saturday. The other Guys many of whome stayed at the same Motel organised their own thing I am guessing. It seems a pretty informal gathering with a great dinner or Barbe to round it off. I can't make this years Clave but if I could I would be sounding out Guys who want to do a Rip Trip and help to make it happen.

Mike

Kimosabe
02-08-2011, 06:54 PM
likewise :chuckle: :chuckle:

Kim I see you're still alive. :)

striblue
02-09-2011, 09:36 PM
I expect to do a Rip trip during the clave...and to pull it off I would schedule one for Saturday... then a back up on Sunday...(you know about the wind issue)... then if Saturday is pulled off.... we could do with a Sunday if we have numbers from those who did not go on the Saturday.

PopnesetBay
02-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Thanks, John, sign me up!
Pete "PopnesetBay" Readel

striblue
02-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Pete, I can not take sign ups now. The process has not changed. Once we know who plans on attending the clave I will set up a sign up sheet. This has always been the most fair approach for all involved. We don't even have a sign up for the clave which Juro usually starts. So just do the usual, once the clave is set up watch for the RT sign up sheet. I also need to speak with Keith on the detail for this season. Sign ups now will tic off a lot of guys who want to go and find out we did it in February. Not fair and I find it easier to set up without countless emails and, I might add...cancellations...so need to know who is going to the clave first. One other thing and I might as well say it now...If anyone signs up during the clave, and does not show up because they slept in because of the night before ,and does not call, they will have to pay even if we have the numbers...we will divy that money between us which will reduce our cost.

striblue
02-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Just exchanged messages with Keith... $60 a head, 12 Maximum for the big boat and $360 for the little boat 1-6 guys....also...Myself, Juro or Jim Simms are the only he will orgainized with.

FishHobby
02-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Daydreaming about a rip trip is mighty good right now!

PopnesetBay
02-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Ok, John. Once I read your post I knew that I had jumped the gun.....my mistake, I am sorry and will wait for the posting of sign up sheets.
Been a long winter and I am not getting any younger!,,
Pete 'PopnestBay'

striblue
02-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Pete... no need to apologize....I understand and I am thinking about some warmer weather too... Earlier before the tying on Tuesday night I went down to check on my cottage , stopped into a couple of places in Chatham center to say hello to some people and then took a nice long walk out to the point at the lighthouse....watching that current and thinking that it will not be THAT long.