Atlantic Weather May Be Key Culprit [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Atlantic Weather May Be Key Culprit

bonefishmon
01-26-2011, 12:16 PM
http://www.npr.org/2011/01/25/133183300/atlantic-weather-may-be-key-culprit-in-fish-decline?ft=1&f=1001

You may have to cut and paste.

Phil

PEC54
01-26-2011, 01:05 PM
If you go back into the recorded history of striped bass populations,you will see a pattern of high and low numbers.In the 70's the fish were starting to disappear;go back to the mid to late 30's they weren't many fish ,go back even further to the late 1800's up until the turn of the 20Th century they weren't any fish. Now here we are roughly 30 years from the drop of the 70's, it does show a convincingly explainable pattern.

bonefishmon
01-27-2011, 01:05 AM
Looking back at reports on this Forum you will notice inshore vs. offshore experiences over this past year on the Cape. OK. The Southway closure aside. Some had their best year ever far from shore while others had worst near shore. Many of you who have followed the reports over the last season may know what I'm thinking. Interesting stuff to say the least.

Phil

PEC54
01-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Lots of anglers out trolling for bluefin ,were coming back complaining of hooking up with large bass,they all state it's fun ,but their in the EEZ,so you can't keep any,plus it's not what they are targeting.

striblue
01-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Yes... I remember hooking large Bass while trolling for blue fin with conventional gear and found it amazing that those bass would hit large squid rigs and daisy chains being tolled at a moderate clip....at the surface.... and big bass all in the 40 plus inches and fat. I knew guys were hitting targeted bass off South Monomoy in the shoals on the east side...but there were never as big as the ones out at the Regal Sword or at the BC bouy only about 20 milles out in the shipping lanes.