North Shore Rolls Along [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: North Shore Rolls Along

Nick
10-12-2000, 08:09 AM
Well, the inclination that the bass would be gone was not true, as the fishing was exactly as Terry had described it. I met GregO and Norm there around 6 this morning, and I was into an 8" pollack as the other suited up. We caught fat bass until around 7 on almost every cast. The fish were not on top, but hanging around the rocks below and seemed to come in waves. Norm and I left for Black (or White) beach, and continued to have success. These fish were bigger with Norm catching a keeper. Another guy there caught a 39" BIG bass on a 7wt rod. Awesome. I had to get to work, so left soon after. Norm stayed around to catch one more... I'll be back again tomorrow morning. Good to meet you guys this morning.

nick

i'm so outta here
10-12-2000, 08:16 AM
Awesome, Nick!!

Glad I was wrong,

Al

juro
10-12-2000, 08:18 AM
I love the rough terrain and the scenic character of the north shore, especially in that area. I feel a little sick tomorrow, 4 hour flu...

Lefty
10-12-2000, 08:40 AM
Mid October too! Well guys, with this good weather hanging on through the weekend, you might have to be so inclined as to go North instead of Chatham (which I remind you was dead last week...I know..I know.. the tides were off). Break the Chatham spell! (which replaced the South Rip spell!).

TerryW

grego
10-12-2000, 08:59 AM
Yes, they were there. I did not follow Norm & Nick to the next beach, because I was still clearing my 3rd line snag when they left. I tried to go to the next beach, but I could not find it, so I stll don't know where it is! Norn & Nick did very well at the Point, but my casting lane had a submerged rock, so I lost two flies & a leader & spent a lot of prime fishing time re-tying. I would guess we hooked about 25 fish in the hour around sunrise. I only managed three, but I had a 22" striper put me onto the reel, take drag & make a run for some rocks. Man these fall fish are fiestey. Pretty too, dark green strips, with a purple rainbow hue.

Lefty
10-12-2000, 09:26 AM
Yup those rocks are tough. I've done my time getting snagged up there. I use an intermediate now. Easier to manage. I noticed the strike zone to be abput 4 ' below the surface.
Did you guys take turns on the "point"? I also agree on the rainbow stripe, beautiful.

TerryW

Nick
10-12-2000, 09:40 AM
Terry,
We all kinda just walked out of the little lot and then straight down the rocks to the waters edge. There was a slight point there, but enough room for all of us to cast. I guess Greg had a little more trouble than the rest of us though.
nick

i'm so outta here
10-12-2000, 09:48 AM
Greg,

Were you throwing the QD? That may account for why you were losing flies.... and for the line tangles. I've just about had it with that line. It's great for fast moving, deep water, but the amount of trouble that goes with it had me ready to chuck the whole damn spool into the inner channel at West Wall last Friday.

Anyone have a recommendation for a quick decent replacement? Anyone want to buy a slightly used Cortland 325 grain line, real cheap!? ;)

juro
10-12-2000, 10:36 AM
Al -

This might be interesting to you... click <!--http--><a href="http://www.flyfishingforum.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=geartalk&Post=46" target="_blank"> HERE </a><!--url-->

(from the FF GEAR board down a few rows)

ssully
10-12-2000, 10:40 AM
Great news Nick! Now if they can just hold two more days.

Al_D,

I modified my casting style to shoot that QD 325 and not tangle. It was really simple. I'm a righty instead of just releasing my left hand on the line at the end of the forward power stroke. I let the line run / shoot through my index finger and thumb(made into a circle) sort of like adding a big lower guide and that seemed to smooth out any minor tangles coming out of the stripping basket and becoming major ones. Just my .02

bigcat988
10-12-2000, 10:45 AM
Al,
I have been useing a shooting head system. It can be a pain in the butt especially when your hands are cold and the wind is blowing like last Sunday. But no where near the hassel I have seen a few guys go through with the QD lines.

John

Lefty
10-12-2000, 11:23 AM
I have the same tangle problems with the QD running line section. One thing that has helped a little is to mend the line into bigger circles into the stripping basket. But I had a thought: Why not give a good ol' line stretching before we start fishing? I agree though it is frustrating, I had a few bad knot's this season in boats. There I sat looking trying to untangle a birdsnest while in the background...splash, tail slap..splash...tailslap....BLITZ!!!

Terry

grego
10-12-2000, 11:29 AM
Yup, I was fishing the QD. Most of my problems came from snagging that rock that was 30' out. But I was getting some infamous QD tangles; they seem to get worse as the temps. get cooler. I did not have my reel with intermediate line in my chest pocket as I usually do & I didn't feel like going back to get it. I guess my BIGGEST mistake was not following Norm & Nick to the next beach !!!

grego
10-12-2000, 11:30 AM
Juro,

That Rio line sounds good. It's now on the top of my list for the spring!

i'm so outta here
10-12-2000, 11:31 AM
Bigcat - I throw a shooting head as well and have the same problems in the cold and wind. I've also suffered some not so pleasant burn from the exposed core running line, but all that more than makes up for the lost time and lost flies resulting from the Cortland product. The memory in the running line is terrible. It's weird too because the Cortland Big Game and clear intermediates do not have this problem.

Sully - that's a good idea. I'll try it next time out. It can only help :)

Juro - if you think of it, could you bring along the Rio sink this weekend? Or is that your standard sink line at this point?

juro
10-12-2000, 01:39 PM
Al -

Since my QD is sitting in a baggie waiting to be sent to Cortland NY, the Rio is my main deep line. You are welcome to cast it though.

Something else we are all ignoring is the time-tested full sinking line. Eevryone makes one and they cast more like a 'fast' intermediate than a shooting head (like the dense head lines - QD, Teeny, XRL, etc).

You can get them in various densities but I believe Type IV is best. SA makes the wet cell full sinking line, which I like a lot.

Advantages:

- Easier to cast variable lengths vs. specific line section out of guides

- No junctions to crack or fail

- durable material throughout

- very controllable as to sink depth

- cultivates a 'normal' casting style

Disadvantages:

- not as easy to cast if you're used to throwing heads (but easier if you're not)

- running line sinks pretty fast too, which can be problematic in fast currents

- requires more refined loop generation by caster to cut into wind, less chuck'n duck and more loop tightness (like an intermediate line)

To tell you the truth, I went to QD because of fishing from boats. It's simply easier to be able to register the head by color and throw from a rocking transom. Ever notice how much easier it is to cast the QD than an intermediate from the back of a boat?

The full sink line was my standby line for years, in fact the one I have is at least four years old and no cracks.

All that being said, the simpler cast the dense head lines offer is nice to have but full sink lines have been without all these problems for years and are still a great way to go.

Juro

jared
10-12-2000, 02:11 PM
hi all --

plan on hitting magnolia area for the first time ever tomorrow before work --
have gotten directions to magnolia "proper" and also vaguer ones to black & white
beach...any additional suggestions/ideas/advice would be great!

plan on getting there around 5:30 or so and then waiting until i can see
well enough to figure out where the ___ to go...blue explorer, yellow jacket,
green chest pack....

do you guys generally fish the rocks in jeans & "sticky shoes" ala the West Wall
or waders??

thanks!

jared

Nick
10-12-2000, 02:22 PM
Jared,
I wore waders with felt bottoms today, not the best but worked fine for me. Magnolia is rockweed covered rocks, so be careful. The beaches we waded and waders are a must (unless you're Norm). The water was cold. I'll be there as well, probably gonna bypass magnolia and head straight for the beaches. Me and my roomate in a red saturn. Green cabela waders and a big net stripping basket. Hope to see you there.
Nick

juro
10-12-2000, 03:40 PM
Might see me up there too, if all goes right with the world tonight. It's a long haul both ways (home/work) but it would potentially be my first time fishing Cape Ann all year.

Green toyota full size pickup, tan goretex waders, no hat... not before work anyway. Not confirmed but possible...

Nick
10-12-2000, 03:42 PM
Juro, if you make it up, call me. I should be around, most likely at the beach like I said earlier. Bigger fish there. And beautiful scenery to boot. God I love catching stripers in October.

striblue
10-12-2000, 03:54 PM
Could someone give me directions on this thread or by e-mail to the North Shore locations. I will be coming from the south, probably by RT.128. Since I will not be in Chatham this weekend I thought I would try up north since It is really not far for me at all. I was going to plan on Saturday am.Dawn. Thanks in advance.

striblue
10-12-2000, 04:17 PM
OK thanks Grego, got them... no need for anybody else to send.

juro
10-12-2000, 05:31 PM
How 'bout forwarding to me? I might be there in the morning...

i'm so outta here
10-12-2000, 06:12 PM
Well, guys. You gotta know I'm envying you. This has been a great thread. Hope it gets one more shot of fishing aura in the morning. Will it last til Saturday? I'd give even money it will. Here's prayin' ;)

JohnM
10-12-2000, 06:23 PM
Guys.......

I will be there tomorrow........will be boat bound but will keep a look out for you all.......Good luck and use BIG flies !

John

striblue
10-12-2000, 07:34 PM
Juro, I forwarded the directions to your Lycos e-mail address. I hope you can plug into that tonight. if not e-mail me back with your home e-mail and I will resend... Maybe Grego already e-mailed you but anyway....

doogue
10-12-2000, 07:38 PM
Fellas,

I was thinking about hitting Chatham for one more chance at a keeper this Saturday morning. But, since I am heading down from NH the North Shore makes a lot of sense for me. I could care less about a keeper at this point. I just want a few fish. Would somebody be kind enough to e-mail me directions to the beaches referred to above? Thanks.

I just need one more shot at glory before I hang up my rod for the winter.

Thanks,

Mike Doogue (doogue@alum.dartmouth.org)