Mini Brit Invasion [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Mini Brit Invasion

Mike Oliver
01-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Hi Guys my party of 6 has been reduced to just me this year so instead of renting a house in Cotuit I am basing myself at The Old Landings in Dennisport. I have found out subsequently that there are other Brit individuals staying there to and doubles as well. We have Paul Jennings who sadly missed out on last years Rip trip and a Guy called Gary and his buddy. Stevo Binksey regrettfully can't make it over this year either. I can only make it as I got real lucky with an IR repayment of tax. Now how often does that happen. I am coming from 1st June until the 15th so will miss the Clave but hope to gain admission on a Rip trip please if one is available or I can try and organise one with Keith. The motel has wi fi so I can keep in contact that way. I have given up on cell phones.
Hope to see as many of you as is sensible. LOL.

Mikey. O.

PopnesetBay
01-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Mike-EEEE OH!
Glad to hear that you will be returning this year and hope that we can meet up during your stay. Sorry you will miss the "Clave" but work with Striblue on the Rip Trip. More Later

Pete PopnesetBay Readel

Warren
01-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Mike I will do my best to catch up with you. I have a wedding to attend June 4 in Chicago & I will most likely be there a week or more. However we should by all means try for a rip trip. I am sure we can twist an arm or two & get some takers...Right Striblue?:D

Mike Oliver
01-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Warren, we have some time before and after the wedding then. Why can't folks get married in the winter. LOL Be good to caast a line or two with you Guys again.

Cheers

Mike

Warren
01-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Why can't folks get married in the winter?

Now that sir is a the 64 dollar question. I have told my friend that is getting married that he is interfering with my striper fishing. Would he be so kind to change the date... I cannot post his reply. It lacks decorum. :D

Mike Oliver
01-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Warren I hear you. Shame all the same. I got married in January neap tides to. Must be a very close friend.

Mikey.O.

Paul J
01-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Roll on springtime.
Im really looking forward to my second trip out there.

As Mike said we got blown out on the planned riptrip last year so hopefully the weather will be kinder this time around.

I also hope to run into a few of you folks this time also

PJ

striblue
01-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Mike, Thanks for the photo's all came though... and look forward to seeing you guys this spring.

Mike Oliver
01-25-2011, 11:13 PM
John did you get them through Warren as I kept getting messages back form AOL saying they could not deliver to you.
Mike

Warren
01-27-2011, 06:59 PM
John must have got the photo's on his own, Because I have not had time to do anything with them yet Mike. Thanks

striblue
01-28-2011, 12:23 AM
I got 2 sets but did not look to see where they came from except from you you Mike.

Mike Oliver
01-31-2011, 11:12 AM
John if you only got two sets you did not get them all by a long chalk. Mostly AOL just bounced the email. I wonder if AOL would allow them through if I just sent two pics at a time. Anyone car to throw light in this prob of emailing pics. Warren managed to receive his if I sent about max 5 at a time. Thanks.

Mike

striblue
01-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Mike, I think I got them , I got two sets off about 5 to 7 or 8 pictures each...I say two sets because, I got doubles of the dozen or more photo's.

petevicar
01-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Anyone car to throw light in this prob of emailing pics.

Mike
There are sometimes limits on the size of email attachments that a recipient can download. This can be changed by changing mailbox settings.

starsky
02-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Hi Mike,

I'm coming over to the Cape with Gary in June.

I'm looking forward to meeting you for the first time and also catching up with PJ again who I have meet before in the UK.
It goes without saying that It would be nice to meet up with some of the other forum members from across the pond.
Cheers,
Mark

Mike Oliver
02-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Mark,Hi,

I did not know who Gary was coming over the pond with now I do. Will you be the AGM 20th March.

I am going to try and set up a couple of Rip Trips. No problems with numbers lets hope keith will have dates we need and the wind plays ball.

I am so looking forward to the Cape and getting into the surf and wading those fast moving flats again. Wish i could afford to come for all of May and June. One day before I pass my rods on to the young Blades coming through.

Don't forget the Deep Eel Clouser 1 or 1/0. I tye mine in Bucktail white bottom with overwing Chartreuss with just a couple of strands of any old flash stuff. I ran out last year the fish just destroyed them. I use smaller eyes than Juro's 7/32. I use 5/32 and 3/16. I am probably off the pace but I don't personally like casting those big eyes.

You coming to Shell Island.

Mikey.O

starsky
02-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Hi Mike,

Im afraid i won't be along to the AGM,in fact you have just reminded me to sort out this years membership to B.A.S.S.

Im in the middle of moving house so everthing is up in the air at the moment.

Thanks for the heads up with Juro's fly. I know what you mean in regards to the weight of flies. In the UK i have been leaning towards using as light a eyes as possible especially with a sink line. Once i get in the new house im going to get my act together and start some serious tying although im never the most enthuastic of tyers.

Gary did mention the Rip Trips and it's something which we are both definetly up for. Fingers crossed on the weather then.

Watching your clip of your antics in the surf whilst donning a wet suit makes me think you have a few years yet left before you hand over your rods:)

Im not quite sure what you mean about Shell Island unless you mean Dorset of course ?

Cheers,

Mark

Mike Oliver
02-05-2011, 07:42 AM
Hi Mark,

All the best for the house move.

The Shell Island is a Bass Fish In. It is in Mid Wales and is located about 7 miles north of Barmouth. You can google up Shell Island. Reef, river esturary and open surf beaches all within 1/2 of your tent. Nice place.

Thanks for your comments ref the fly fishing video JM took in Montauk. I am lucky that I am still slim and fit inspite of my 59 years. LOL. I plan to be doing similar and more extreeme stuff for as long as I can. My wish is to encourage more Fly Boys to take a more in your face approach to surf fly fishing. The Plugging Guys do it why not us. The wet suit helps a lot where normal waders are a liability. So you are right it will God willing be a few years yet before the new Blades get my stuff. With luck it will be burned out when they get it. LOL.

You don't need many different patterns of fly. Apart from the Clousers an all Black Lefty Deceiver or a Bucktail Deceiver is deadly at night. Std Deceivers also work well in the dawn dusk and night time periods. I have Crease Flies and Poppers and some Bunker Patterns but I can't remember the last time they came out of my box. Bouyant flies fished on a very fast sink on a short leader can do a job to.
I only shore fish.

Really looking forward to meeting with you in June. Be in touch before regarding Rip Trips if we can set one or two up.

Mike

starsky
02-05-2011, 12:08 PM
I think I remember reading a write up on that Clave at Shell Bay in one of the B.A.S.S magazines.
Thanks for heads up on flies etc. I have always wondered how well a booby style set up would work in the Salt. It's something I have been meaning to try here in the UK.
Fell free to get in touch anytime in regards to sorting out the rip trip or anything for that matter although I think you might find it's more a case of myself contacting you to bend your ear on for advice.
Talk soon then,
Mark

Paul J
02-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Needless to say it's going to be fun at the Old Landings again this year.

I love the atmosphere there when the Brits take it over as our base camp.

It's full of mad for it fish'os who just got a free pass to fish all day and night for two weeks on the trot.

I cant wait

PJ

Mike Oliver
02-05-2011, 02:34 PM
PJ,

Free, free. Did your wife pay for your trip then. LOL Any joy from Google earth on how to get to S. Beach without taking a water taxi.

Little Malcolm has dropped out because of stories about too many seals on the East side which is a shame. So we will be 1 Brit down. Hopefully we will have Crunch AKA Esa from Finland joing us to.

Mark, the Booby method has been tried by another Brit with way more experince than me. He really inspired me when descibing how effective this technique is. The takes tend to be more aggressive than strip retrives with the rod tip pulling round on the hit. The tying material is artic fox tail hair which you can buy from Foxy Tails in the uk. This fly is very effective when cast out in front of an approaching pod of fish in the surf and then allowed to sit or pulled so it dives down. The fox tail hair is extreemly flexible and even when static the fly has life.
Mark the Guys who really know the Cape are on here. I am a real newbie just keen like yourself.

Mikey.O.