Giant tuna fetches record $396,000 in Tokyo [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Giant tuna fetches record $396,000 in Tokyo

salmo
01-05-2011, 10:18 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/rawnews/ci_17011257

juro
01-05-2011, 10:37 AM
754 isn't a record fish in size, so I'd guess is the record price is relative to quality - this fish was caught locally in Japan so my assumption is it didn't have to travel very far and thus it was kept unfrozen and the quality was unrivaled (?)

Makes me want to be a bluefin angler in Japan, I could catch one fish a year and be happy, and impact the population of bluefins by only one :smokin:

JonC
01-05-2011, 10:59 AM
The truth is that this is just a new record in greed and will just encourage the slaughter of large BFT. The further this harvest goes, the fewer the fish, the higher the price, the more incentive to kill, the tragedy of the commons.
Jon

juro
01-05-2011, 11:05 AM
My philosophy is the same is the DEA... you can't stop demand so you have to stop supply, which raises price but controls demand due to price.

But free enterprise and the international presence of these pelagic travelers makes it nearly impossible to regulate as all the failed attempts to do so have demonstrated.

As mercury, PCB and other synthetic toxin levels from man's carelessness continue to rise in large pelagic species, perhaps the ultimate control will be contamination.