Puerto Rico Tarpon Club [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Puerto Rico Tarpon Club

Adrian
01-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Last minute business may have me in PR this coming week-end and wondering if its worth packing a rod and a few GPs as I may have a "free" day :smokin:

I recall Juro having way too much fun down there a couple of years back :lildevl: -

Not sure if the baby bucket mouths are active this time of year?

juro
01-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Adrian! Your application has been accepted and we anticipate your presence in the club ;)

With just one free day, you could consider the in-city option with one of the guides in the big San Juan lagoon which is packed with resident tarpon - however they can be somewhat 'educated' compared to the ones I met elsewhere on the island. I did jump a 30-40 # fish on a realistic pilchard pattern (variation of a bigeye baitfish) in that lagoon. The guides hook up constantly on live pilchards while the fly guys flailed the water. Again, remote areas of the island have tarpon that fight to eat the fly.

I did not spend much time exploring alternatives to the main resident lagoon population close to the city, instead I drove to Porta Del Sol (west end of island maybe 2.5 hours drive) or escaped to Culebra Island (an hour drive plus ferry).

There are spots I can PM you where a few hours on the road each way would result in sure hookups - really remote areas with boat rentals but I'm not sure if you are up for that (?)

Since it's USA and inexpensive to fly there I plan to explore a bit more of the near-city options in the years to come instead of blasting to the remote corners on arrival. There is a lot of real estate between the airport and the west/east ends I've fished.

Adrian
01-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Cool -sounds like some time on Google Earth is in order :)