Who wants to go to Acklins this winter? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Who wants to go to Acklins this winter?

juro
12-29-2010, 09:27 AM
I miss Felton's home cooking. Anyone interested in visiting our friend in Salinas Pt this winter? Let's do it!

2fer1
12-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Yes, I'm interested starting in March. I'd consider earlier dates, but I've got a work schedule that's not east to change.

sidelock
12-29-2010, 11:11 AM
I'd be interested also. What dates did you have in mind ? Does that location fish better on a specific moon fase ?

juro
12-29-2010, 12:12 PM
I like incoming tide mid-day best with decent tides but not too huge. The fish get way up in the mangroves on big tides and take the fly greedily but it's not my favorite kind of fishing.

But it depends on the spot - some spots you want to head right up to where they have pushed and are feeding without any waiting. Others are good for receding tide because the fish back out. Time of day is important as they are more active early and late.

The island has a broad range of habitats and the DIY aspect makes for a very educational experience.

GMflyfish
12-29-2010, 11:28 PM
Juro,
I would certainly like to visit Felton again. It was a very interesting trip last year, thanks in large part to your knowledge and experience.
GMflyfish

juro
12-30-2010, 08:53 AM
That's four.... the Taj Mahal takes 10.

Last year was a good one for intel, although we never fished a huge section of the island that was hot the year before we fished others that were mind-boggling beautiful and found everything from spooky (don't breathe or they scatter) to stupid easy (like turn and charge the fly from 15 feet away) along the way.

This year I am going to play with those giant barracuda more wow that was such a rush. I saw one at the mouth of an inlet that was over 5 feet long chasing bonefish onto the shore.

sidelock
12-30-2010, 09:13 AM
Juro, have you come across many mutton snappers on the flats down there ?

juro
12-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Not on the flats per se but they are around the docks and drop offs. The guys got some good sized ones a couple years back but they let them go - caught at the start of the day not at the end otherwise would have made a delicious dinner.

n1gdo
12-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Depending on dates etc.... I could be coerced to go back to Acklins...

Please keep me in the loop...

Vince
12-30-2010, 04:45 PM
For muttons, don't neglect the deeper turtle grass flats/beds along beaches. We've caught some nice fish there blind casting clousers, and every now and then they will move in shallow to feed where you can spot them.

http://www.ccoflyfishing.com/acklins2008web11.jpg

http://www.ccoflyfishing.com/P3120158_op_732x549.jpg

sidelock
12-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Nice fish Vince! We particularely target them on some flats in Abaco in Jan & Feb. They come on some flats on a good flooding tide and even tail and they pull like a freight train. They seem to prefer a mixed bottom with some vegitation and coral. Don't see them too often on bright sand flats however. They are in very good numbers in Jan. & Feb. down there. Best fly i found is a good mantis shrimp imitation.

juro
12-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Nice fish / pics Vince!

I also love a big blue runner on a fly - wow what a fight.

teflon_jones
12-31-2010, 12:47 PM
I'd be up for it, but only the weeks of March 6-13 or 20-27. I'm already booked for South Andros in the middle there.

Vince
12-31-2010, 02:32 PM
I'll be on Acklins with a gang of six anglers March 19-26. Staying at Ivels just north of the Airport. We'll mostly be fishing around airport and north of there.

If you guys are there then we should plan a rendevous at the infamous club Rolex!

We're also planning on bringing a smaller group down the following week (March 26-Apri 2) and fishing the same areas.

acklinsboy
12-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Nice Mutton! The truth be told; 'they are all over the flats and channels running wild!'

Salina Point Bonefish Lodge loves our fish chowder from mutton snappers or for breakfast as a stew! Very firm & tasty!

juro
12-31-2010, 05:29 PM
I can honestly say that I love that fish stew for breakfast. And no one makes grits like yours Felton! I never liked grits before last winter now I actually have ordered them at restaurants (very disappointing here!)

Swalt
01-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Juro fish stew for breakfast.

acklinsboy
01-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Ok! Yes I do remember well, 'Stew-Juro!' Its now a menu item.....

Very tasty, satisfying & filling. Served with girts &/or johnny cake, should last all day on the flats.

sidelock
01-08-2011, 07:00 PM
That's four.... the Taj Mahal takes 10.

Last year was a good one for intel, although we never fished a huge section of the island that was hot the year before we fished others that were mind-boggling beautiful and found everything from spooky (don't breathe or they scatter) to stupid easy (like turn and charge the fly from 15 feet away) along the way.

This year I am going to play with those giant barracuda more wow that was such a rush. I saw one at the mouth of an inlet that was over 5 feet long chasing bonefish onto the shore.

Juro is it an absolute must to fully book the lodge ? Can we not do it with fewer people if there is'nt any more interest ?

flatsfisher
01-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Two of us went there last Nov., there were already two guys there after they left we were joined by two others towards the end of the trip. So I'd say you don't need 10. I'm sure Felton will chime in.

Flastsfisher

bonefishmon
01-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Flatsfisher. I searched for the results of your trip in November. How did it go?

Phil

acklinsboy
01-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Correct flatsfisher!

Once we are open, we are open! Would love to have ten, however...............we'll take a single!!!

The fishing, according to all reports has been better than average. Everyone seeing, landing and releasing their fair share.

LeeG
01-10-2011, 11:26 AM
With all of the talk of groups fishing all over the place in March, I am moving my trip to later in the season. I know there is a lot of space but generally people hit the same flats up north and if you have some flexibility you'll probably find Acklins to be pretty quiet in May and June. The permit fishing is better as well. I'm getting the sense that for at least part of the year certain areas of Acklins are getting to be like Eleuthera.

sidelock
01-10-2011, 06:12 PM
With all of the talk of groups fishing all over the place in March, I am moving my trip to later in the season. I know there is a lot of space but generally people hit the same flats up north and if you have some flexibility you'll probably find Acklins to be pretty quiet in May and June. The permit fishing is better as well. I'm getting the sense that for at least part of the year certain areas of Acklins are getting to be like Eleuthera.

That's a shame ! I discovered Eluthera over twenty years ago and the first few years we fished there I can HONESTLY say that we never , ever saw another fisherman on the same flats we fished.

acklinsboy
01-10-2011, 09:56 PM
'It will be a long time before Acklins is crowded in the least'!

Almost certain, it will not happen during my life time.

But lets give it a try.....40 persons a week on Acklins!!! What a crowd! Please, PM/email me with your dates. (Some may have to sleep on the beach!......rooming space!.... Air space!???)

Fishing Acklins Island will take more than our lifetime!! Please introduce your children and grand kids to Acklins & Salina Point Bonefishing Lodge!

Will start a programme shortly for the wives/kids-native tours/basket weaving/Bahamain cooking/beach pinics etc.

Salina Point Bonefishing Lodge-Acklins Safari!

LeeG
01-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Hi Felton,
I was being a bit tongue and cheek when I said Acklins was becomeing Eleuthera but it's true there are A LOT more people fishing the island in March than probably any other time of year. Vince alone is running 3 groups between Acklins and Crooked. That doesn't take into account anything from Greys Point, Fedel, Chesters, top of the hill, or anyone else on Crooked fishing lovely bay. Now, it's also true that none of those places are likely to send people anywhere near Salinas point! You have your own piece of heaven there and people should come and take advantage of the opportunity with you.

My point was, and is, that since I usually fish Lovely bay I can choose a month where I know probably 50+ people will be hitting the same flats over the course of 30 days or I can wait 2 months and have probably 5. Acklins is a great place for more than just the month of March! Also, the increased activity does make a difference-both on the island and on the flats. I've been coming down for 8 years-it's changed.

As to bringing kids and family down there, I've done both. My wife won't step foot on the island again. My 8 year old son can't wait to get back and has an absolute blast. I've had him spend a day at the lovely bay school with his friend, Timieco. On one occasion Will organzied a hunting party comprised of 10 kids under the age of 10 and cornered a neighbor's rooster with the intent to shoot it with a home made bow that shot palm frawns (think of a balsa wood arrow!). They did a nice job cornering the rooster because Will got scratched up pretty good. Roosters are tough birds! :wink: It's special place.

juro
01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
I've been to Acklins several times but my feeling is that it's still vastly untapped. Most of the places I've been it's a big surprise to see other footsteps, and with that ecosystem footprints last a long time.

Only three of these days involved the use of a boat to reach places, the rest on foot - and both times the discoveries were mind-boggling and remote, and the permit are hardly targeted by anyone it seemed.

The marls northeast of Rolleville is a huge habitat and the domain of guides with boats, I've only seen satellite images but that area dwarfs most of the other flats on the island.

I would say that one of the roadside flats get worked fairly heavily but those bones were almost too easy on the flood tide regardless. We did not even fish those places last time I went, and it represents a tiny fraction of the opportunities available.

The most drastic effect I had seen was local netting impact on a particular area combined with a cold spell, but my guess is that roaming schools will fill that up again if the nets are pulled and will invest a tide change in that area on next visit.

There are enough honey holes on Acklins so that a group or several groups could circulate through them and the chance of bumping into each other would still be slight in my opinion.

I love the sense of real adventure that the island presents for the DIY angler, with accomodating lodges and guides for those who prefer and the welcoming people of Acklins makes it that much nicer.

Can't wait to get back there!

Swalt
01-12-2011, 09:27 AM
My first trip to Aklins was in the fall of 2002 and I went solo doing three days guided and 3 DIY. I saw no other fishermen on the flats, on the road or on the airplane. On the DIY days it seemed like I was the only person in the world. It was an unforgettable experience.

On the return trip last March with Juro's group I noticed, what seemed to me, a big difference. There were a good number of people fishing. Vince had a group down there and I guess the lodges were probably booked. I was a little concerned until we got out there fishing. We fished up north twice and down south 4 days. I remember seeing only one fisherman that was not in our group out on a flat. We passed flats off the roads up north were people were fishing but never saw them on the flats we were fishing. There was plenty of room for the 5 of us on the flats we fished. If you chose to head out on your own you would not see anyone else for hours.

The beauty of Felton's place is that its the only one down south. The lodges up north rarely head that way and the DIY'ers fishing up north normally stay up there also. To get to the best flats down south is a 4 mile hike for them. Which no sane person would make. :) From Felton's place its an easy 10 -15 minute boat ride.

I agree with Lee that May or June may be better fishing but not because of too many fishermen. I just think you would not have the chance of encountering a cold front like we did last March which I think slowed the fishing.
Walt

LeeG
01-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Walt-the guides up north have a funny routine. They are hitting the same flats day after day and don't seem to be "resting" them very much. I saw the same guide stop at the same flat every morning for 5 days straight. It might have been more but on the 6th day we left early and I didn't see where he went. Fedel takes people to further flats to avoid this so at elast he sees it as an issue.

I also agree that if you fish out of feltons, or are willing to work a bit, you can easily go a two-week trip without seeing another fisherman. This isn't like fishing out of Islamorada! My point was that the island is seeing a lot more people fishing it and in places, it's having an effect-both people and fish. Personally, I'd say you can go to top choice and starting walking to the right and you can walk and fish the next week and do well. Then you can come back and walk left and do it again. And I haven't even mentioned places like lovely bay, delectable bay or a couple of other spots that I think are pretty damn good, all of which are still well north of where Felton has his lodge. Speaking of Top Choice, is Mrs. Bain still running that as a lodge now that her business partner died and her son isn't around to help? She's a nice lady and Bernese can definitely cook.

Dave17
01-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Got this guy while he was impersonating a bone. He was running with a school in skinny water on a sugar white flat.... very close to Felton's place. Dinner that night was incredible!

vtloon
01-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Dave, nice Mutton. Was he running behind the school watching for panicked critters? They love to cruise behind a Ray and do that.

Swalt
01-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Dave, That's a nice mutton. Seems like every time I cast into cruising bones and hook something other than a bonefish it's a yellow jack.

charvey
01-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Hello to Juro,Walt, Tom, Gary and Felton-
I shouldn't be reading these posts because you guys are torturing me as I will
not be able to join you in March. Don't feel sorry for me because I'll be in
Argentina and Chile for 20 days!!! When my wife finally figures out how long I
will be away from home I may join the ranks of all of my other divorced angling
friends. I need to find someway to take care of my flats addiction. . . . maybe
February or mid April (gotta get home for trout season) Juro- please keep posting
your great photos when you get home so I can keep dreaming about next year.
Thanks to you all- look forward to joining you next time
Bob

ericnotthered
01-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Hey folks. I'm more of a lurker on this site, but an avid fisherman. Limited bonefishing experience.

I've been interested in getting to Acklins for a while, and I'm curious about the details. Are you getting any kind of a group rate? Are dates firming up? Would there be room for an additional angler?

Eric

GMflyfish
01-14-2011, 10:03 PM
I did a little searching regarding flights to and from Nassau from my location, and, unsurprisingly, found that the fares for travel on Tueday and Wednesday were substantially less than for Friday and Saturday travel. Looked at a few March dates.
Last year, Bahamas Air had a promotion, which I missed by ticketing one day too early, of a $99 round trip fare during March for anywhere they flew. Currently the fare to Spring Point (Acklins) from NAS is $244 RT which is the same as last year. Big question is whether they might have a promotional fare again this year.
GMflyfish.

GMflyfish
01-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Hi Bob,
Yes we will not feel sorry for you, just envious. Where are you going in Argentina/Chile? When? Should be equivalent to late summer time? Just a fishing excursion? I imagine you may get into some large rainbows and browns.
I know a couple guys here who went somewhere in Argentina and/or Chile a couple years ago, earlier (December), and they had a successful trip.
I hope a trip to Felton's on Acklins Island materializes this year; I'd sure like to get back. And I suspect you would also.
Have a fine trip to South America - brush up on your Spanish.
GMflyfish

Swalt
01-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Hi Bob,
20 days. Nice! I am going have to give that a try someday. I always feel like I have to fish my butt off when just staying a week. Just getting settled in when the week is over. Have a great trip.
Doubt if I make it to Acklins this Spring but I have not given up yet. If I do it will be in May or June. I have a trip planned this fall to Inagua. 2012 will look a lot better for me with Acklins. I definitely want to get back to Felton's.
Walt

GMflyfish
01-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Eric,
Responding to your post with a little info on Acklins Island.
The Salina Point lodge is quite new; I believe last winter/spring was the first opening. Operated by Pastor Felton Rolle, a very pleasant gentleman.
Bahamas Air only flies to Acklins (Spring Point, AXP) on Wed and Sat, with departure about 8:30am. So one usually travels to Nassau (NAS) on the preceding day, and I have always stayed that overnight at Orange Hill Inn, which is relatively close to the NAS airport. - about a 5 minute taxi ride. They have a restaurant at the Inn, which is small but decent. The flight back to Nassau leaves AXP at 10:30 am or so, usually allowing travel back to the states on the same day, with an afternoon flight. But you need a couple hours at least in NAS to navigate customs and baggage. Wednesday travel is preferable to Saturday.
We were met at the airport, and there were five of us last year, including Juro, who was the motivating force behind the trip. There was a rental four wheel drive vehicle at our disposal, and Juro drove whenever we used it. On the wrong side of the road. It was about an hour south of the airport to the turnoff into Feltons. Then another 15 min or so to go 1/2 mile or less into the place over what could generously be termed a road. Max speed 2 mph.
We got to fish right out front the afternoon we arrived - though I don't recall anyone catching.
Accommodations were excellent. Two per room, with two queen beds. Nice shower and private bath. No mirrors up yet, and no air conditioning yet. Actually I'm not sure if AC was to be there sometime.
Meals were excellent and overabundant. Big breakfasts, packed a lunch and cooler for the trips, and dinner at dusk. Conch, fish, grits for breakfast. Bottled water. Very nice dining room.
Had some insects (biting type) to deal with after dusk, but not a problem during the day. Protection from sunburn was very important. For me, all skin covered or lotioned.
With Juro's knowledge, we drove to some locations to fish, including all the way to the north end of the island. Generally a small hike in. Covered a lot of territory during the day, hiking to places and wading the flats.
I think we saw zero other fishermen while we were fishing. Did see a couple from the road. I did not do all that great at the catching part of fishing, but the other fellows did reasonably. I recall someone catching trigger fish in addition to bones. Some shots at barracuda, and Juro had a shot at a permit.
Weather we had was OK, if not ideal. Always seemed to be wind, though not enough to preclude fishing. On days we did not drive somewhere, Joseph picked us up in a boat and we rode maybe 20-30 min to some flats. Got picked up in the late afternoon.
It was a good group of guys, very fine, remote place, and an enjoyable trip. The Nassau airport was not one of the enjoyable parts, as you might imagine.
Shoot me a PM if you have more detailed questions. I hope a trip happens again this spring.
GMflyfish

ericnotthered
01-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Definitely interested, subject to dates and price.

FredA
01-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Herding cats again, are we. ;)

I was ready to sign up before Christmas but now I'm feeling cash poor. Need to spend some money on the cape house and anyhow, my passport's expired.

teflon_jones
02-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Is this going to happen? What dates? I'm looking to add another week somewhere else after my week on South Andros March 12-19, so if the trip was 3/19-26 that would be perfect.

sidelock
02-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Is this going to happen? What dates? I'm looking to add another week somewhere else after my week on South Andros March 12-19, so if the trip was 3/19-26 that would be perfect.

Did't you just post that you are going to be in Andros Mar 19 - 26 on the Andros thread ?

juro
02-07-2011, 08:35 PM
PLEASE SEE SIGN UP THREAD - last week in March based on tides and time to get organized.

teflon_jones
02-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Did't you just post that you are going to be in Andros Mar 19 - 26 on the Andros thread ?
Yeah I flubbed that up. I'm going to be there the 12-19, so I won't be able to do a trip if it's the last week of March. I can only do the 19-26.