Salmon River #3 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Salmon River #3

tight-lines
12-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Took the trip up to the Salmon yesturday. Water temp 34 deg flow 1000-1200, tough day. Brought the spey rod but left it in the truck, too cold, managed one very nice chromer nymphing. I'm sure the river is full of fish but they are shut down. Great to be out, fresh snow made a beautiful scene walking through the hemlocks.

Jim Miller
12-21-2010, 05:50 AM
Thanks for thec report......
as you imply winter steelheading is more about being out there and just feeling alive! :D

tight-lines
12-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks for thec report......
as you imply winter steelheading is more about being out there and just feeling alive! :D

Absolutely Jim,
BTW I plan on going up next week, hopefully mid week weather permiting , If anybody is interested in getting together let me know..:smokin:

Jim Miller
12-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Post up when you have a day picked. I might make a run out to try the new spey rod........and some new ties! :D

Any idea of how much snow they picked up this week???? :eek:

tight-lines
12-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Jim,
I don't think they got much out of this latest storm though they had a bit on the ground when I was up last. Looks like I'll be going up over the weekend. Let me know if you plan on making the trip.

Joe

Jim Miller
12-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Hey Joe
I will have to see. Sending/bringing kids back to college this weekend...leaves me only a day trip on Sat. I will let you know if I can pull it off....but doesn't seem likely.....
arghhhhhh! :Eyecrazy:

tight-lines
01-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Jim, I made it up Saturday morning and stayed through Sunday afternoon not too many people on the water . Couldn't beat the weather Saturday was balmy for January. Fish were sluggish managed two chromers on a blue moal leech swung slow and deep. Sunday weather turned a bit and water temps dropped 4 degrees I was able to land a beautiful Brown trout I would guess was about 10-11 pounds probably my largest to date so needless to say I was pretty happy she also took the blue leech swung tight to the bank at the very end of the swing. Unfortunatly left my camera in the truck :mad:
Not bad for a mid winter trip by my standards. Hope to get back up this month if the weather cooperates.

Jim Miller
01-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Good on you Joe!
Sounds like you worked hard for good results! Not a bad day of Winter fishing.:D
Any of those tiny black stones crawling around on the snow?

tight-lines
01-04-2011, 08:11 PM
No stones that I noticed Jim. Maybe a little early yet? I think I did see a few Blue wing olives come off Saturday.