Southwest Florida's Finally Getting Warm [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Southwest Florida's Finally Getting Warm

Tony Petrella
12-18-2010, 04:48 PM
WOW! It was beginning to look like a repeat of last year's freezeout when we lost a considerable number of snook, jack crevalle, and even baby tarpon during January and February.

Fortunately, temps were 76 yesterday afternoon. Rained overnight and drizzled today, but still warm without a threat of plunging temps. We hope!

Tried to find tripletail in the Gulf yesterday off Venice, but the swells were rolling too high and the water was murky. Then the wind kicked up and we decided to even leave the pompano alone.

Next week. There's always next week!

Tight Loops,
Capt. Tony Petrella

teflon_jones
12-19-2010, 03:04 PM
You can thank global warming! :)

gunner
12-19-2010, 06:39 PM
I have a "warm winter home" north of Tampa. Last week the water in the birdbath froze solid. It was warmer at my "winter home" in Maine by 3 degrees. WTF!!!!!!! I came north to warm up. No fishing done -- the fish have got to be hurting by all this cold.

risingtide
12-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Hey Tony,
I've followed this forum for about a year now and am glad to have someone else from FL following along. I live in Burnt Store Marina and plan on getting out Wed and Thursday. I plan on fishing the Cape Haze area for reds. Did you get out that way this weekend?

For the rest of you, I am going to Grand Bahama next week and plan on fishing the east end for bonefish. Hopefully the next cold front won't be so bad. Will let you know how it is.