Bearse's Shoal [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bearse's Shoal

boatdrinks
12-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Something I was thinking about on the way to work today: this season I caught way more fish in Point Rip and Hankerchief than I did on Bearse's. I'm not sure if this was coincidence or not. Bearse's is fun to fish because you can drift through a whole series of rips and not have to handle the boat the way I do at Point Rip, which takes one person at the helm, not fishing. Anyway I just thought I'd throw that our for discussion.

BigDave
12-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Did you manage to catch the squid run in the rips? We caught it last year - what a spectacle. Big bait/big fish and even the herring gulls were having a hard time hoisting the foot-long squid from the water. I only made it down to Bearse's a couple of times this year and it was dead. Most of my Chatham backside fishing was to the north. I was lucky to run across a couple of huge blitzes on tiny mackerel that had bass, bluefish and tuna all mixed in. Good krill bite this summer too - such a pretty place to fish when you can find them!

boatdrinks
12-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I love it when squid are in the rips! big squid flies and seeing the bass eat them! There was a great krill bite up by the break and then a good bite in deep water too. I fish out of Stage so it's a haul for me to get up there so I fish the rips mostly.

juro
12-02-2010, 10:47 AM
One of these years the southway shall liberate again!

boatdrinks
12-02-2010, 11:13 AM
just need one good storm!

boatdrinks
12-02-2010, 01:28 PM
I was actually thinking the issue at bearse's could be that it tends to be deeper so it's harder to get the fly down. Although I don't remember anyone catching with spinning rods either.