Happy Thankgiving [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Happy Thankgiving

juro
11-28-2010, 07:52 PM
I hope all had a great thanksgiving. What put it completely into perspective for me was watching a homeless man in the city rummaging through the post-holiday trash for his "thanksgiving". I felt a great sense of pity at first then when he looked up I realized he was quite happy about all the extra stuff he was finding. I have no excuse but to be thankful and happy with all I have.

millerbrown
11-29-2010, 05:32 PM
So he was thankful for the leftovers that he found. How do you know that, really?

striblue
11-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Miller, I think it is obvious that Juro was using this story to remind us of all we have to be thankful for...not to start an argument...again...with you....nor does it deserve a microscopic analysis or each word. try to use common sense before you jump down on ANYONE on this forum.:mad:

juro
11-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Hey no problem...

How did I know? His smile, and the things he said in the conversation with himself.

I was going to actually take a picture of him but thought that was more than a little condescending. But - there would have been no question.

striblue
11-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Juro, why in the world did you feel you needed to answer that question?????? Do not encourage. He will find fault with your response as well.:tsk_tsk: :mad:

millerbrown
11-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Hmm.....whatever you say is, I guess, ok. We all have different points of view!

striblue
11-29-2010, 07:34 PM
I guess I have no understanding why someone would ask that question... for what purpose? Especially when Juro's post was obvious. Reminds me of the method employed by Bullies. How would Juro KNOW how he REALLY felt or anyone except what juro himself perceived???????and...SO what! I have never , ever seen anyone make an issue so petty on a thread intended to convey a kind message.:mad:

juro
11-29-2010, 07:50 PM
I certainly don't take it that way but thanks John -

Miller, I can't quite tell where you're coming from but it seems like you have the man's best interest in mind which is admirable. Would you please take a moment to explain fully just what it is you're trying to say? I have a feeling your heart is in the right place. Maybe I can learn from your perspective and feel less helpless than I did on Friday.

nmbrowncom
11-29-2010, 09:49 PM
maybe i missed the point but, no matter the intent of juro's message, his suggestion that eating out of other people's garbage cans is worthy of thanks strikes me as a bit callous. had it been by an author i did not know i would also have found it offensive. however knowing juro as i do, i know that that was not his intent. given the content, if not the intent, the comment by miller brown seemed appropriate and if anything understated. what seemed to me to be waaaaay out of bounds was the over the top verbal attack, name calling and condescension directed at him.

striblue
11-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Neal...his point was NOT that eating out of garbage cans is worthy of thanks. I see it as giving thanks for those who DON'T have to eat out of cans....and people give thanks in their own way and in their cicumstances. I think that is obvious. I also feel ,that in the context of Juro's message , my comments were entirly appropriate, and I stand by them. Also, there is a history here with MB and the pattern continues. My "verbal attack" was a fair response to a clear misunderstanding of the true meaning of juro's post...or... as history tells us, an opportunity for MB, while laying in wait, to raise a petty,glib, uneccessary,remark , as has been the pattern. If you THINK it is condescenion toward him...good...it was meant to be....you have to be able to take it if you dish it out.

juro
11-29-2010, 10:27 PM
What a tangled web "we" weave.

I've edited that same word in the original post to accomodate those who didn't get it.

striblue
11-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Juro....people see that without the edit... except for a couple.....Since the "pattern" resurfaces...I am not commenting anymore ...since...this is what MB does...sits back and watches the fireworks...I will call him each time on it ....and speak my mind as well. I stand by the remarks and they , in my opinion, are not waaaay over the top...in fact.... it is MB waaaay over the top. Glib useless comments intended to provoke someone, once again in a pattern without an explaination or a winky face or something, toward someone who intended to make a timely kind comment, will be called on it....plain and simple.....how about simply responding as an "adult" with a "Happy Thanksgiving back".... Over and out.

Jim Miller
11-30-2010, 06:20 AM
Back on Topic:
Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
Whatever ones station in life, I hope it was the best Thanksgiving ever! :D

Juro....any time to fish on the west coast? Always welcome to come to NY for a steelie fix!

whayever your station in life

juro
11-30-2010, 08:22 AM
I'm waiting on word for a Boeing project... should put me squarely in the pacific northwest!

But you guys definitely have my interest and if not before the big freeze definitely in the spring!

millerbrown
11-30-2010, 06:16 PM
nmbrowncom states my position perfectly.

juro
11-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Then my edit should negate your angst, as I reserve the right to "offend" myself at will :lildevl:

striblue
12-01-2010, 10:58 AM
One more but not from me...."Never be a cynic, even a gentle one. Never help out a sneer, even at the devil." ---Vachel Lindsay
- he says....Cynicism is the conversational tone of todays world. we think ourselves clever or hip if we can come up with a quick negative response to the world around us.

I send a "thought for the Day" to my kids everyday and found this one as I sent another to the kids. There are others that would fit nicely here....wise up and get along......that goes to you also Neal....

Ralph Waldo Emerson had it right when he said..."People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character."

bonefishmon
12-01-2010, 01:01 PM
I like this one:

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. ~John Fitzgerald Kennedy

PopnesetBay
12-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Bonefishmon, looks like your avatar should be the one giving thanks as he only lost a couple of tail feathers and not his head! Our 'community' is comprised of many and each will find many different things to give thanks for and many different ways to express their thanks. To each their own!

bonefishmon
12-01-2010, 02:28 PM
I am 100% in agreement.

Phil

millerbrown
12-01-2010, 04:51 PM
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect" - Mark Twain

petevicar
12-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Sometimes you guys on the other side of the Ocean need to loosen up.
:smokin: :smokin:

Jim Miller
12-01-2010, 05:37 PM
WTF
This started as someone simply saying "Happy Thanksgiving"!

my lord.....what are we going to do at Christmas?
debate the respective worth of each others presents????... :confused:

nmbrowncom
12-01-2010, 06:36 PM
yes you are right pete, but when someone launches such a despicable and caustic refrain as "happy thanksgiving" it is bound to get get an emotional reaction.

ok now,calm down....it's a joke-on all of us....especially myself.

juro
12-01-2010, 08:58 PM
So on a much different note... that same day a little later on after escaping the madness of Black Friday NYC, the sunset on Wall St outdid all of the neon uptown (for me).

And I did snap a picture - enjoy! Onward to the rest of the holidays.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1163.snc4/150499_465123589314_691204314_5795697_4072720_n.jp g

JonC
12-01-2010, 10:10 PM
It looks totally unreal, did you get to see the Wizard?:chuckle:
Jon