Daiichi Xpoints [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Daiichi Xpoints

Swalt
11-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Had a Daiichi Xpoint X452 No. 6 straighten out on me on a bonefish. Has anyone else used these hooks and had a problem with them? Very sharp point and looks good but didn't hold up.

JR SPEY
11-25-2010, 09:41 AM
I've used them since they first came out and never had an issue. Since most of us don't put all that much pressure on a bonefish for any length of time, I'd have to guess you just got a bad hook. Now a false albacore, something similar in size to a bone, is fought differently and I could see hooks opening more often. However, I've used both the X452 and X472 on false albacore and never had a problem. I guess I'd double-check a few more hooks from that same package to make sure you didn't get a bad "batch" of hooks. The other bonefish hook I use quite often in size 6 is the Gami B45. Although it's never happened to me, that's a hook I could see opening up when major pressure is put on a fairly big bone, as the wire on it is quite thin.

Swalt
11-25-2010, 12:09 PM
JR, Thanks, I was surprised it was on the first run and I do set my drag light and let them go then. The line just went slack and the hook was straight when I retrieved. I think it must be a bad batch. I have bent a couple others with pliers and they seemed to bend easily or just break at the bend behind the barb. Guess I will just toss these. Expensive hook to have that happen with though.