Flies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flies

doctorsteve
11-16-2010, 06:45 AM
I know many (most) of you tie your own flies. But when you buy flies where do you get them from? I'm speaking of bonefish and permit mostly. I tie up my own gotchas and crazy charlies, but I don't have the time to spend tying up more complicated ones, like crab patterns. So even though I'd rather catch a fish on my own fly, I need to buy some too. What websites do you purchase good flies from?

boatdrinks
11-16-2010, 08:12 AM
As far as websites, I've always found Orvis to be good. Flies are one of the only things they price reasonably. In general I buy flies where I'm fishing though. If you buy a couple of flies for like 5 dollars you can extract a ton of info from the guy tying them.

JR SPEY
11-16-2010, 08:41 AM
In general I buy flies where I'm fishing though. If you buy a couple of flies for like 5 dollars you can extract a ton of info from the guy tying them.

That may work for trout in Montana or stripers in Chatham, but it's not a good plan for bonefish in the Bahamas or permit in Belize. I try to tie my own, and when I want a crab pattern I usually tie some version of a Del Brown Merkin. That and the Will Bauer fur crab are probably easier to tie than a gotcha. My biggest concern about buying flies is the hook used. Rarely are commercial flies tied on hooks as good as what I use when tying my own, and a good hook makes a very big difference when fishing. When I absolutely must buy something I almost always go to the Fly Shop in Redding, CA. They have a terrific variety, the quality has been very good in the ones I've bought, and they have their flies tied on good (though usually not the best, other than the Puglisi flies) hooks.

vtloon
11-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Also try Chris Windram.

Smcdermott
11-16-2010, 11:42 AM
For top quality stuff including premium hooks try giving Dave Skok a call. I believe he will do custom orders this time of year. I am sure it will be more expensive than getting something tied in Asia for Orvis but I have seen some of his custom stuff first hand an it is off the charts good. Just google him to get his website.

Sean

petevicar
11-16-2010, 11:56 AM
In the US I use Chris Whindram at Saltwaterflies.
In Europe Austin Goldsmith at UKsalwaterflies.

teflon_jones
11-16-2010, 03:49 PM
That may work for trout in Montana or stripers in Chatham, but it's not a good plan for bonefish in the Bahamas or permit in Belize. I try to tie my own, and when I want a crab pattern I usually tie some version of a Del Brown Merkin. That and the Will Bauer fur crab are probably easier to tie than a gotcha. My biggest concern about buying flies is the hook used. Rarely are commercial flies tied on hooks as good as what I use when tying my own, and a good hook makes a very big difference when fishing. When I absolutely must buy something I almost always go to the Fly Shop in Redding, CA. They have a terrific variety, the quality has been very good in the ones I've bought, and they have their flies tied on good (though usually not the best, other than the Puglisi flies) hooks.
Yeah I definitely agree. That's a big reason I tie all my own saltwater flies.

doctorsteve
11-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Yeah I definitely agree. That's a big reason I tie all my own saltwater flies.

Again, my problem is time. I work then we run the kids around to activities. I'm getting a bunch from Chris.

Swalt
11-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Two places I have gotten saltwater flies recently are discountflies and Albright Flyfishing. Both have good flies at decent prices. I think the flies Albright is selling are made by Targus. I don't tie the established patterns since you can buy them easier and cheaper.

When I tie a bonefish fly I like to experiment and try to create something that will work at the destination I am heading to. I tied some gotcha and spawning shirmp type flies with either black and white hackle or black and white barred rubber legs for a trip I just got back from. There are flats there full of small crabs with the barred back fins. The bonefish jumped all over those flies. I should have tied more.

LeeG
11-17-2010, 08:52 AM
I've used a guy names Dave Student. I can't remember where I got his name but he tied some nice stuff for me. I landed a s small permit on one of his shrimp patterns. Yellowstone Angler carries his stuff and with some searching I'm sure you could find an email or website.

SWALT-you should post a picture of those flies. They sound awesome!

Swalt
11-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Lee, I would if I had any left but they are not fancy flies. Just picture a bunny gotcha with a little orange bunny tied at the hook bend, a craft fur tail that you can bar with a marker and either barred hackle or barred rubber legs also tied at the tail.