VETERANS DAY.... Thank you! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: VETERANS DAY.... Thank you!

n1gdo
11-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Last year I posted a thank you to all Veterans and asked you to give a brief story of when you were in the service and where you served.

The stories were fun to read and even if you repeat they are still interesting so please share.

Briefly I joined the Army in 1960 at 17 fresh out of high school. Went to Ft. Dix NJ then to Ft. Devens MA. My 50th enlistment anniversary was this past September. gasp!

Because I had good teeth and the dental services were limited in East Africa I was sent to a base there! My friends rolled on the floor the day I got that news!

Truthfully it was the greatest experience of my life. I loved it there. Was in a little country called Eritrea and volunteered to stay on another year rather than come back to the States and serve the rest of my time here.

Hope to hear some of your stories.

Thank you Veterans and current Service people!!!

Happy Birthday USMC!

Penguin
11-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Those were the DAZE!!!
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/scan0011-1.jpg

juro
11-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks to all veterans for putting it on the line for our way of life in this great country!

vtloon
11-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Who is this youthful imposter?

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh218/loon110/scan0001.jpg

flydoc
11-14-2010, 02:48 AM
Sadly, my Uncle Pete, a Korean war veteran of the vicious fighting at Pusan, Inchon, and the Chosin Reservoir, passed away this year after a brief fight with lung cancer. He was with "The Old Breed"- 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division- and my hero. His son (my cousin) Joe recently finished his own tour as a Navy lawyer in the JAG corps, and had just started his own family.

Semper Fi, Pete. I'm sure you and Chesty Puller are tossing back a few cold ones up there and recalling old war stories to each other.

James Shepherd, M.D., aka "Flydoc"

n1gdo
11-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks for sharing guys.... great pics and stories..

There is a great disparity in age in my family such that some cousins were the same age as some of my uncles.

It was not until most of them had passed on that I learned that one had stormed Normandy, another was in the Battle of the Bulge, another was in North Africa, one went from France all the way to Germany, and one was a Marine who went through some of the most horrific island battles of the war.

Cannot tell you how sad I am that I can never thank them personally because like all great heroes of that era they never talked about it!

And as a final note...these kids fighting today are no less heroes to me than those of other generations. They deserve every bit of our respect and honor!