Winter Reading Recomendations [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Winter Reading Recomendations

striblue
11-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Although not fishing related, I wanted to recomend three ... can't put down books ...for the non-fiction readers out there...!) Leviathan, The History of Whaling in America -by Jay Dolin.... everything you ever wanted to know about whaling history.....2) Winston's War, Churchil, 1940 -1945...by a great military History author, Max Hastings..Great look at Dunkirk, Battle of Britain..to the end of the War.....3) Atlantic , the latest book by Simon Winchester... excellent history of the Altlantic, though geology to Poliitics and everything in between.

nmbrowncom
11-10-2010, 06:31 AM
how about something a little less intellectually stimulating like a good self absorbed political auto biography-maybe bush's new book or clinton's old one.

i saw a new retro "how to" book, i think by martha stewart, called "petticoats and petitfores" that sounds just about right. or maybe that soon to be released auto biography from one of the former dallas cowboy cheerleaders about her years playing with and for the cowboys. sure to be a pulitzer candidate.

striblue
11-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Is that another put down? or are you serious about that comment?:confused: It is either one or the other.

nmbrowncom
11-10-2010, 07:43 PM
neither serious nor a put down. just juxtaposing your serious reading recommendations with what passes off as "literature" to many people these days. no put down intended-just the opposite in fact.

alosa52
11-10-2010, 08:02 PM
I would recommend Cod o Salt both written by Peter Kaminski.

Larry

striblue
11-10-2010, 10:32 PM
My mistake then...could not tell without the use of the smiley faces, etc.

wrke
11-11-2010, 08:24 AM
I agree with Kaminski's Cod and Salt. Not fishing, but one that you truly won't be able to put down is a new book by John Vaillant . . . Tiger.

JR SPEY
11-11-2010, 08:45 AM
I think the books you guys are referring to are written by Mark Kurlansky and not Peter Kaminski.:D

wrke
11-11-2010, 09:03 AM
JR, you're absolutely right. Too quick to reply. And another of his good books is The Big Oyster, which should be the name for NYC (not the big apple).

striblue
11-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Yes, I have read Cod... and missed Salt...which I will pick up. Thanks

jimS
11-11-2010, 01:20 PM
I 2nd Bills' recommendation, The Tiger. True story about a man eating Amur tiger in vintage eastern Russia.

Another non-fishing non-fiction book worth a read is Empire of the Summer Moon by S. C. Gwynne. It is about the rise and falle of the Commanches, the most powerful Indian tribe in America.

vtloon
11-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Here's one: "Upstream (a Voyage on The Connecticut River) , by Ben Bachman. Bachman goes in stages mostly by canoe from Long Island Sound up to the headwaters of the Connecticut Lakes on the NH/Canadian border. It is a very well written mixture of history,Geology,geography, industrial evolution and philosophy.

Keep the ideas coming, it is going to be a long winter.

highway61
11-11-2010, 08:32 PM
I second Jim's recommendation of Empire of the Summer Moon. It helps us
non-historians to better understand the conflict between settlers and the plain's Indians. It is an amazing story. Two thumbs up!

Steve

OC
11-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks everyone for some interesting reading tips. I have been getting into some history books of late and enjoying them. One book that is really interesting is "The Birth of the Modern World Society 1815-1830" by Paul Johnson. It's about the early start of the industrial age, 1000 pages so it will keep you busy for the winter. Fascinating to say the least.
A historical fiction book I just completed is " Imagining Argentina" By Lawrence Thorton. Story about the dark days of the late 1970's when thousands of Argentinians disappeared without a trace.
One my daughter gave me for my birthday is," Food of the Gods" by Terence McKenna. A radical history of plants, drugs, and human evolution.
Also I'm going to learn French starting this winter. Kind of funny but I can hardly write or speak English, maybe I will do that next.
Cheers

FredA
11-12-2010, 10:19 AM
A thread here or elsewhere reminded me that it was way past time to get re-aquainted with one of my favorite writers, John McPhee ("The Founding Fish", Coming Into the Country"). Also, I never got around to reading the third book in LeCarre's Smiley trilogy. Need to rectify that.

GMflyfish
11-12-2010, 11:09 AM
I second the choice from Fred A.
Anything by John McPhee is generally fascinating, and very well written, and eclectic in scope.
My favorite author.
GMflyfish

petevicar
11-12-2010, 11:40 AM
You guys seem to read very serious stuff.
I am a big science fiction/fantasy fan.

teflon_jones
11-16-2010, 04:55 PM
You guys seem to read very serious stuff.
I am a big science fiction/fantasy fan.
Me too. What do you read? I've read lots of Piers Anthony, Isaac Asimov, and got sucked into the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time series (then the jerk died before he finished it!).

If there's one fishing book that taught me more than any other, it's called "To Catch a Trout". I don't think it's in print any more, but if you haven't read this, then you definitely should. It gives FAR more information about reading water and how currents work and where fish sit in a river than any other book I've ever seen, and it does it in a really cool way where the author is telling stories about where he catches fish. Amazing reading. The author is Norman Strung.

vtloon
02-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Long winter with no skiing allowed, so plenty of reading and thankful for the ideas here. Did read "Winston's War" and "Empire of the Summer Moon", and enjoyed both. Among many others, also read "Theatre of Fish" by John Gilmette: author's tour of NewFoundland overlaying the fishing history the current fairly bleak living. Interesting to see his view of the nearly deserted village at Ships Harbor where Churchill and FDR moored cruisers and signed the Atlantic Charter...then contrast it with Hastings description of the same in "Winston's War".

" Four Fish" by Paul Greenberg examines the overfishing of Salmon, Tuna, Sea Bass, and Cod. He then looks at fish farming attempts for all four and points out why it turns out they are poor choices for this. An interesting parallel: Cod made a substantial comeback on Georges Bank during the WW II Battle of the Atlantic, since it was unsafe for fishing vessels. The Commanche made a significant (20-30 year) retrenchment in numbers and territory during the American Civil War while the settlers/armies were busy fighting each other.

striblue
02-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Todd...That's great...I am now in the middle of "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt." It is the first in a trilogy, the next is "Theodore Rex" and the final is "Colonel Roosevelt".. Then will start the new Mantle Book called "The Last Boy - Mickey Mantle and the end of Americas Childhood"...Should end the Winter with Anthony Beevor's "Stalingrad- the Fateful Siege: 1942-1943". "Revolutionaries - and the invention of America" by Jack Rakove.....and finally Bill Sloan's , "The Ultimate Battle - Okinawa 1945. "Leviathan" was great as it now gave me a great history of whaling.... "Atlantic" was ok...good geology and history of the use of the Atlantic and did cover some of the fishing grounds I did not even know existed off the coast of South America....similar to our Georges Bank. Loved "Winston's War", information you just can't get from the usual WW2 book especially about the strengths and weaknesses of the personalities of the Allied leaders....Didn't know that FDR had had enough of him and the indecisions of the UK military leaders (Brooke et al) still understandably shell shocked from WW1. Churchill's work ethic was monumental... incredible energy.

polareyez
02-13-2011, 05:22 AM
I've also read Leviathan. When they mentioned the winter strorm washing the sheep off of the island I started thinking of the southway....

How about 1421 the year China discovered America? The author makes a pretty sound case.

gunner
02-17-2011, 08:05 PM
1421 and the sequel to it, 1434, were both very interesting and well documented.
I particularly liked the map of the world before Columbus "discovered" the New World -- it shows an accurate map of the land beneath the ice in the Artic and Antartic. Global warming had to have occurred in the relatively recent past for them to have made the maps, and we know the Vikings were farming in Greenland until the Little Ice Age happened. Anyways, this map intrigued me because it gave a good reason for the British and French to keep looking for a Northwest Passage -- at one time you could sail across the top of Canada.

boatdrinks
02-18-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm in the middle of "true compass" right now which is Ted Kennedy's auto-biography. Fascinating book, with great descriptions of the Cape in the 40's.

"In the Heart of the Sea" is awesome, talks about the sinking of the ACK whaleship Essex. "Dances with Trout" is always awesome. Just finished "On the Run" which tracks the fall bass run from Maine to NC. Even with an entire book I still don't understand it haha.

pteronarcys
02-20-2011, 06:39 PM
For those who do not mind a book with a scientific/technical bent, but who also enjoy a good read, I would recommend these two books: Neil Shubin, Your Inner Fish - A Journey into the 3.5 Billion-Year History of the Human Body and Bernd Heinrich, The Mind of the Raven. I found it hard to put either book down after starting to read them.

Adrian
02-21-2011, 08:49 AM
For some (mostly) lighthearted insights into the industry and especially any "would be" rock and roll stars out there, I can thoroughly recomend Keith Richards autobiography "Life".