VTLoon's tune up [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: VTLoon's tune up

Jim Miller
10-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Todd (VtLoon) underwent surgury on his "other" shoulder today. :eek:
If you get a chance...drop the old coot a line and wish him well. :D
Get well soon Todd ....I need you to teach me more about fishing! :)

PopnesetBay
10-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Hope the recovery goes well and you can get back to getting 'tight lines' quickly. Good excuse to get someone else to remove snow as it is on its' way.

Pete "PopnesetBay" Readel

striblue
10-26-2010, 11:24 AM
I hope he does well and wish him a speedy recovery... old fighter pilots will recover quickly as par for the course.

Penguin
10-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Phly Phishing is a dangerously curious exercise that was invented by an orthopedic $urgeon! :whoa:
and...
Regarding the shoulder... in general... If we were cars, we would all be "RECALLED"! :eek:

Todd... beware the "TOO MUCH TOO SOON" syndrome and DO YOUR REHAB carefully!
Best Regardz and Speedy Recovery!!!

flydoc
10-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Three words....UNDERHAND SPEY CASTING.....was watching Rio's instructional DVD set of Spey casting last night (featuring Simon Gawesworth and friends), and the section on Underhand Spey Casting (featuring Dana Sturn of SpeyPages fame) impressed me by far as the technique most kind to the shoulders and elbows. He even mentioned he first took it up in response to some tennis elbow pain he was having that was severely exacerbated by the regular spey casting techniques. Of course, this will mean new rod(s), new reel(s), new line(s)......you get the idea:lildevl:
Flydoc

FredA
10-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Get well soon.

So I guess this means that times have gotten less complex, don't have to worry about ski seaon overlapping with other pursuits...right!

juro
10-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Todd - I wish you a speedy recovery. Smart timing though, waiting until the local flyfishing temptations are waning!

vtloon
10-29-2010, 08:59 PM
i didn't know jim was going to post this, or i'd have added, send fly tackle in lieu of flowers.

timing is critical...surgeon said when, i said, after the fall run and the last races but recovery in time for the spring run. as fred noted, skiing bites the dust....just like last year.

doc, you're right about 2-handers, particularly if a lot of blind casting seems likely.

typing 1 hand lefty may not be fast, but it sure saves on capitol letters.

Gseries69
11-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Todd,

I think it's time that we get serious about having Juro give the VT boys (and anyone else whose interested) a full blown lesson on fishing the two handers. Turns out the OLD COOTs (You, Jim, Barry) are the the only ones I can get to go fishing...lol. Let's make it happen next spring.

Let us know when you're ready for lunch. I'm in the new building starting the 15th.

Warren
11-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Todd,

Hope your recovery goes well. I am sure the doctor said to drink lot's of beer to keep the swelling down!

jimS
11-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Hey Todd, now that the surgery is over, have your physical therapist incorporate some Spey casting exercises into the rehab process. Keep well and see you on the water this spring.

alosa52
11-04-2010, 07:58 PM
I just had a tendon reattached in my lefty thumb ( soccer injury). I have lost the whole fall trout season here. But I know that we'll get them in the spring.
Get well soon
Larry aka shadfreak

JimD
11-04-2010, 10:35 PM
I talked to Todd a couple of times, and also to his wife. Appears to me that he is "milking" this shoulder thing for all it's worth.

I second Gseries69's thought for a two-handed "teach-a-thon" by Juro if he is amenable to that. It would really help me.

And by the way Joe, OLD COOTs do fun things too!!

Jim Miller
11-05-2010, 06:12 AM
JimD
Just for the record....I would never refer to you as an "Old Coot". :D
You are way too young at heart.

Nope.... only Todd (but maybe not the restrung version) :whoa: :hihi: