DIY Rod Repair [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: DIY Rod Repair

Possumpoint
10-21-2010, 07:25 PM
I have an inexpensive Daiwa 8' 6wt graphite rod that doesn't cast worth a *!@. As best I can tell, part of the problem is the first eye after the reel is 1/2 the diameter as the ones on my other rods. I have two 7' 4wt rods that out cast it by many feet. Another problem found and fixed is that, one of the snake guides had a hunk of unknown material on it. Thinking of attempting to replace the nadequate guide with a larger size. Am I bitting off more than I can chew? Will I have a problem removing the old guide?

Assume that I would need to build a jig to spin the rod on and a detent to mount the thread on between the supports. However, I'm not too sure of what thread to use. Are the guides glued directly to the rod? If so, which glue is best?

Any advice would be appreciated. My budget doesn't allow for the substitution of more expensive equiptment.

FredA
10-22-2010, 08:41 AM
The first saltwater rod I bought was a 9 wgt Diamondback All American. The first guide is at least 1/2 the diameter of the typical guide. It's a very nice casting rod and I never thought the small guide was an impairment to its casting performance. My guess is that replacing the guide with a larger diameter will not yield the results you are looking for.

9wt
10-22-2010, 08:48 AM
You don't need a jig to replace a guide (or to build a complete rod).
Put the thread spool in an empty jam jar, run the thread through a phone book to give it some tension and turn the rod by hand. I've built a lot of rods without a jig.

A turning jig is nice for the epoxy winding finish but you don't need a perfect finish if you're replacing a guide on a cheap rod.

Michael.

Jim Miller
10-24-2010, 10:39 AM
If it is a quick fix and appearances are not critical.....you can do the treadwork with rod winding thread loaded in a bobbin... and coat the threads w/ CCG (a UV light cured epoxy).
The benefit of the ccg is that it cures in seconds and you will not have to spin the rod for a long time.

Possumpoint
10-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks to all who took time to reply. Will try waxing the guides first to see if that helps before changing the guide.