Cape Cod Bay from Shore Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cape Cod Bay from Shore Report

jalthoff
10-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Fished Scorton's for a while this afternoon, as well as Duxbury Bay on my way home.

Scorton's was deader than dead. Saw no fish, very little bait, and no bird activity. Did see a Mola Mola in much shallower water than I've ever seen (I know people have been seeing them in the canal), and saw an absolute explosion 100 yards off the beach - I'm guessing tuna, but who knows.

Duxbury bay was pretty much same story, although I saw a couple of breaking fish and hooked one small fish - lost it 15 feet from my hand. Got a reasonable look, and I'd swear it was a shad, not a schoolie striper. I remember catching shad there years ago, so seems possible.

Also discovered my waders have a leak.

Yep - stellar day!

JonC
10-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Was in Beantown Wed, fished around Winthrop, no sign of a fish, then drove up along Revere Beach and watched a big school about a quarter mile out for a while, then gave up. I guess it's about over. Also my waders leak.

BTW, and this is important, Stripers Forever is mounting an email campaign to Ken Salazar in an effort to stymie any chance that commercial quotas would be raised, please participate if you are a member now, or join and participate, it costs nothing to join and it is probably our most significant advocate for sensible management of the striper fishery.
Jon

CSJ60
10-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Plenty of striped friends around... :devil: water cooling but still another 2-3 week's to go!!! The bayside has lots of fish but the weather soured this afternoon, SW to NW 10 degree drop in temp and rain :mad: . The east end AM fishing was catching time. :biggrin:

jalthoff
10-22-2010, 08:59 AM
. The east end AM fishing was catching time. :biggrin:

Of course it was, since I was fishing PM!

jalthoff
10-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Hit Scorton's again this AM - had one for 2 seconds and then gone - saw one 20 incher caught by a spin guy. Guys came through b/c they had killed them at Sandy Neck earlier and the fish were moving west so they drove down to Scortons's but it did not materialize again. There were diving birds off and on offshore. This time of year the lack of mobility of shore fishing can be frustrating ....

Green Ghost
10-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Mobility on shore is a problem. I hate having to chase moving birds and fish from shore. Running in sand and breaking waves is hard. I saw the moving birds. I stayed where I was and they came back. It disn;t matter the fish really didn't move much and the birds did. It isn't over. It just isn't Montauk. Caught a handfull Sunday at a shore spot near you and missed more. Hang in there.

Green Ghost
11-06-2010, 01:37 PM
It started out as a nice day for fishing. West wind 5-15, manageble waves, overcast and 45 degrees. So a bit cool and windy but from the right direction. There are still fish at the east end of the canal. 8 or so boats out there, birds working, saw two keepers caught one jetty one beach. I caught a handfull myself up to 25 inches. Fat and healthy on the fly. That is before the wind changed to 20 to 25 steady northeast and the waves grew to 4-6 ft. The boats (except one) vanished. Warmer temps this week should keep them around. Do not give up. She has only began to hum a little bit.