Slugs and Hisses to OC [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Slugs and Hisses to OC

FredA
10-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Happy birthday Steve.

I'll have three fingers tonight to toast ya. Skol.

juro
10-09-2010, 07:13 PM
OC - may the years continue to be good to you! Happy bday

OC
10-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys for your kind words and drinking for me. Spent my B-day in the rain painting the bottom of our Rhodes Chesapeake, having surveyor go over her and passing papers to new owner. On top of it have a bad case of stomach flu, both way deals. But you know what, I let go of my first true love, The Rhodes, And I'm blessed with a beautiful wife who sails hard and fly fishes, how many of us have a wife who has been a welder, wood cutter, mid wife in Africa and now a Physcian. To think she married an old dirt bag like me. And think of all the wonderful friends who put up with me, a person who swears too much, drinks too much and catches too many fish.:hihi: I know just the great friends I've met here on flytalk have been worth every moment signing on, how many years? A lot more than it says up in the corner. I pray for those members who are really sick at this time and wish them a speedy recovery. For me it's been a great life, I'm lucky to be lucky and I'm lucky to have so many wonderful friends.

bonefishmon
10-11-2010, 05:58 AM
Happy Birthday Mr. 30 going on....................? The steelhead in your local waters are waiting for you to hook them so they can come to hand and greet the birthday boy personally. We look forward to your reports. Blessings to you and yours for a very content (and lucky) fall and winter!

Phil

OC
10-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Boy don't I wish you three guys would come out at the end of the month to go fish the Snake R and the Grand. Do you know how much BS would fly and how much trouble we could get into besides catching lots of fish on top. It just boggles the mind, it could be a social science project in anthropology beyond anything Margret Mead ever thought of. Why for 4 or 5 days we could become so anthropocentric, drinking single malt, catching steelhead, building fires, catching steelhead, cooking, catching steelhead, freezing on the river at 5am, catching steelhead, drinking camp fire coffee, catching steelhead, watching 6 man football on Friday night at the high school, catching steelhead.
As OC once said or maybe it was someone else, "Life is not a practice run it is the real thing! And I know none of you have taken a wild steelhead on a waker in the dark before."
Later guys and show up if you dare. I bet Moonlight shows up as as he acts in mysterious ways.

juro
10-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Well boys I believe the gauntlet has been thrown down! What say we do as Admiral Gray and his son - they built a wooden ship before the Panama Canal was dug and sailed from Pembroke Massachusetts to cross the Colombia bar and name the great river after his ship the SS Columbia which is how it got it's name.

He sailed back with tales of adventure, which inspired his son to exceed dad by going up the Snake River. The son stayed and built the Gray mansion which is a popular lodging spot to this day.

Moonlight
10-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Lame for missing your Birthday Hope to see you in the Snake soon...:D

striblue
10-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Sorry I did not get to you sooner..but Happy Birthday...

KerryS
10-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Happy birthday. A bit late.

Kerry

OC
10-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks again guys. It's not every day you get to be 59, **** where do they go. Got to keep going, going, going. Kerry headed over to the Snake on the 31st for 5 days or so, your welcome to fish with us.
Cheers

juro
10-21-2010, 11:56 AM
OC - I'm thinking about it too, will send a PM.

KerryS
10-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Kerry headed over to the Snake on the 31st for 5 days or so, your welcome to fish with us.
Cheers

Spent the last week of Sept. at the Ronde. Might be tough convincing both my bosses (wife & work) I need to take another week to fish the Snake but thanks for the invite.

juro
10-21-2010, 12:07 PM
How was the Ronde? I'm jonesin for spey + steel

KerryS
10-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Juro,

The Ronde was hot! I mean day time temps were mid eighties to low ninties. Fishing was so so. We were there a bit early but we do it on purpose to miss the people crush that comes later. Because the weather was sunny and very warm I think the fish were hunkered down and not moving much. Still we had one guy in camp hookup 8 steelhead one morning landing 7.

OC
10-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Fishing still slow but steady at a fish or two a day per rod from what I hear. Crowds are down and that is good. Fish have to be somewhere, but where? Should be about 250,000 of them. Weather about to change and that could be a real great thing. Series of lows across the Pacific moving east on a strait jet stream. Hope that gets fish moving, stopping as each system moves on.
Kerry you need to get sick and Juro needs a plane. Really is plenty of room on the Snake to fish as much as you want.

KerryS
10-23-2010, 02:11 PM
OC,

I would love to call in sick from the Snake. The last time I did something like that was a large number of years ago when I called in sick from Reno. I told my boss I was winning and I wasn't leaving until I lost. He fired me over the phone.

OC
10-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Ok, ok, I give up trying to make your lives more exciting. Side note caught my first steel of the fall behind the house this morning. Upper river opened for first time in many years now that the Dam has been removed. Nice little hatchery hen about 25 inches, dinner for tonight.

Doublespey
12-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Hey OC,

Great to see you over there at the Shed!! Bummer that I missed your B-day announcement - I'm sure Poppy would have joined us in a belated toast. :D

Some of your namesake wakers looked pretty awesome - hope you got another fish or two on 'em after we left.

I only got down to the Snake one afternoon. It was slow for us, but being there reminded me what an incredible place it is esp. that last hour before darkness.

Damn - I've only been gone a month and I'm already thinking about next year -

Cheers!

Brian

Doublespey
12-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Didn't see the Snake report follow-up until now. Stupid alternative browsers. :cool:

Sounds like everyone else had the same luck on the Snake and Ronde. Amazing #s of Chinook in the river, which is part of the reason I believe that the fish were a lot less aggressive than normal.

Tight Lines,

Brian