Bayside bass this AM [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bayside bass this AM

JonC
09-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Found a bunch of fish in ankle deep water, feeding heavily and quite willing to be caught although I'm nt sure what they were eating. They would take a sand eel fly out oF competitive zeal but not when alone, they were definitely rooting on the bottom as they swam around schooled up, you could see them flashing as they went over on their sides to pick stuff up and then later they were tailing actively, I showed them a crab to no avail but it probably was just the wrong color. The birds were also working this bait heavily although not right over the fish. All told I probably ended up catching 15+ fish a couple were keeper size and most of the others were close. No one else anywhere in the vicinity, a fun morning.
Jon

FredA
09-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Sounds like they were rooting out sandeels.

JonC
09-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Upon reflection I think you may very well be right and that the eel that I was using was way too big, 4.5" and the bait I was seeing was probably half that size. Sometimes it's hard to think in the moment.
Jon

saltfly
10-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Brine shrimp......They're almosy impossible to see.Try staying in one place and tap the bottom.The sand color will change alittle and they'll show up in contrast to the darker sand.:hihi: