Forum excursions [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Forum excursions

juro
09-29-2010, 04:44 PM
So there's been talk about a fall trip to fish for steelhead in the pacific northwest, the inevitable trip to the tropics for bones, Felton's palace is a favorite. Maybe also a spring trip to fish for trout (back to the roots) somewhere maybe out west? before salmon fishing in the Canadian maritimes next summer.

And I believe Dave Kopij's new stomping grounds are in redfish territory (November?). He should have that figured out soon.

What other ideas do people have for flyfishing friends travel?

teflon_jones
09-30-2010, 11:58 AM
I've been looking to get a trip down to South Andros for next April. The weather in Acklins was terrible in February so I'm not going that early again!

If people come out west, I have a drift boat that can be used too. I've fished many of the waters in CO by now after 2.5 years here and can point people where they need to go.

Gseries69
09-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Well, here's what I've been doing last couple years. We're alway looking for value so no fancy lodges and such but...

Belize for tarpon, permit, bones (small). El Pescador has been running a 2 for 1 deal around August which is the peak of their tarpon migration. Last I checked it came out to about $1,800 per angler and included room, guide, all meals, and local beer (Belikin).

New Orleans redfish in Nov/Dec. Not lots of fish but big fish and sight casting to them. We've been fishing with Capt Gregg Arnold, Travis Holeman, and Barret Brown. All great guides. Hotel rooms were cheap that time of year as well as airfare.

Road trip to the Muskegon and Manistee Rivers in Michigan. Fish Western NY on the way out. Inexpensive house rental in Newaygo. Going again this year. Learning to swing flies on the spey rod out there and landed several fish last year.

OC
10-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I like the idea of the Missisippi River Delta red fish. Though not the best time of year for fish the weather has not gone too cold yet. Most important we can help put some great people back on their feet from food, lodging, guides, gas stations, hookers, :lildevl: and the state.
Cheers
OC

Dave17
10-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I just took my first red on the flats the other day. Great fishing down here. When the tides are big enough to jump the channel walls copper tails are all over the grass flats.

My place is right on the beach and there's an inexpensive hotel, great bars and restaurants three blocks from my house.

Atlantic Beach Fl right outside of Jacksonville. Anybody's welcome, just drop me a note....

Dave17
10-02-2010, 01:22 PM
BTW, if anybody ever wants to do a trip to Craig, MT to fish the Missouri I'm on the next plane. I spent a couple of weeks there during my extended trip out west last year. Great people and even better fishing. It was, by far, my favorite river that I fished. Probably looking at next spring after runoff.

BIG fish and they run like a bonefish. Here are a couple of shots from last year....

petevicar
10-02-2010, 01:47 PM
I just took my first red on the flats the other day. Great fishing down here. When the tides are big enough to jump the channel walls copper tails are all over the grass flats.

My place is right on the beach and there's an inexpensive hotel, great bars and restaurants three blocks from my house.

Atlantic Beach Fl right outside of Jacksonville. Anybody's welcome, just drop me a note....

Hey Dave
What's the nearest airport?

petevicar
10-02-2010, 01:48 PM
I like the idea of the Missisippi River Delta red fish. Though not the best time of year for fish the weather has not gone too cold yet. Most important we can help put some great people back on their feet from food, lodging, guides, gas stations, hookers, :lildevl: and the state.
Cheers
OC
Red fishing can be good all year round. In the winter however the big reds come into the Delta. Best fishing is from November to January.

GMflyfish
10-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Hey Dave17.
I've fished the Misssouri near Craig - both upstream and downstream - for a number of years. Have had some good days and some slow days. Last summer I caught the same brown trout (about 20 inches) three days in a row. The fish are pretty well educated, in general; there are some big ones in there.
I've usually gone there via Bozeman, about 130 miles away. Holter dam controls the water level, but the flow rate can be very high, or sometimes quite low in a dry year.
Great spot.
GMflyfish

bonefishmon
10-03-2010, 12:45 AM
Dave. Try below the Hauser Dam and bring a seven weight rod with lots of backing on the reel. Scuds.

Phil

juro
10-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Big reds sounding like a good one... Pete Vicar's pictures linger in the mind.

Dave17
10-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Pete,

Jacksonville International is closest. Orlando is two and a half hours away and a much bigger airport.

juro
10-04-2010, 11:55 AM
KOPIJ KLAVE!

petevicar
10-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Now that sounds like an interesting idea. :lildevl: :smokin: :D

wrke
10-04-2010, 04:40 PM
I may be a candidate . . . I got as far as New Hampshire on saturday heading to my week of fall Atlantic salmon fishing in New Brunswick . . . river had come up nearly 2'. Returned home with my tail dragging. Terrible after looking forward to that week all year long.
Bill

Dave17
10-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Let's do it! I'll put some intel up on the area over the next couple of days.

petevicar
10-05-2010, 06:19 AM
I think DIY could be a problem as, in my experience, redfish like mud flats.
Wading means that you could sink up to your neck or deeper.:frown: :frown: :frown:

Dave17
10-05-2010, 11:30 PM
There are certain hard grass flats that fish well but the tides have to be right. I also have access to yak rentals and there are plenty of guides. Mosquito lagoon is two hours south and is also supposed to be fantastic. Cumberland Island and Savannah to the north. The reds will even run the outer beaches in an area that looks just like south beach.

When the time comes they'll be more water than you could fish in a month. As a working stiff again I haven't had many days on the water but I should have a better sense of the whole scene soon. We're coming up on the best time of the year so I'll keep you posted.

woodtac
10-11-2010, 09:35 PM
I watching this thread with increasing interest . . .

teflon_jones
10-21-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm also looking for additional people to head to Andros next March from the 12th-19th. I'm going with two buddies and could use up to 3 more people. It's a liveaboard boat with everything included except alcohol. I can't link to it since they're not a sponsor, but Google the Sea Hunter Liveaboard and the third link you get back will give you all the details.

The short of it:
$2995/person all inclusive except booze
3 more spots open
Semi-guided, i.e. the guides take you from the boat to productive flats, drop you off, and then move you around during the day.
I'm looking to charter a seaplane from Florida to drop everybody off right at the boat. This is much faster, easier, and not that much more expensive when compared to having to fly there, take a taxi, then a boat trip to the liveaboard.