Albie locator [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Albie locator

juro
09-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Let's try an experiment... We have people from Chatham to Montauk sniffing for albies this time of year. It's hard to burn spots with fish who move so fast by the time you get there it's too late. However the big picture can help us decide which way to drive until the short season is over.

I volunteer to report general vicinity information from the elbow to the soundside beaches on the cape.

Can we get a show of hands for other regions in the albie and bonito fall range?

Redfisher
09-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Juro

I fish the area from Stage Harbor/Hardings Beach to the rips and then north on the outside to Chatham Light. I'll post if I see any albies.

I was out yesterday for a couple of hours. Found plenty of blues and one keeper bass but no signs of albies ( and I was looking for them ). Round trip I ran over 33 miles.

Dan

juro
09-27-2010, 03:57 PM
I checked Herring River and Stage. For forage fish I saw mullet, anchovies, silversides, large bunker, small bunker, juvenile black sea bass, scup, and several other species I didnt recognize. Signs of big bass caught previous night (scales, cleaning remains). No hardtails popping while I was there.

jalthoff
09-27-2010, 04:22 PM
As posted earlier, Albies all over Montauk Friday and Sunday, and Block Island was completely devoid of Albies - never even saw any suspicious splashes!

bonefishmon
09-28-2010, 05:42 AM
We have some Bonito down here in the usual up and down where did they go fashion. A boat is needed. Very few have been caught. The FA's have disappeared for the time being. The water is clearing up from the storms so, maybe a good bet for Albies soon.

Phil

boatdrinks
09-28-2010, 10:21 AM
there were some bones at the tip of Monomoy on sunday, other than that no hardtails that I've seen.

bonefishmon
09-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Found some this morning in my neck of the ocean. Very spotty but they were caught.

Phil

bruce.campo
09-29-2010, 08:09 PM
I need to find another job and move... YOu guys are making me drool. I'll be at RI 10/8, and will post.

bonefishmon
10-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I need to find another job and move... YOu guys are making me drool. I'll be at RI 10/8, and will post.

The weather is finally co-operating. Got drenched this morning catching Ablies. First light right through to about noon was excellent. The sun came out and they were gone from where they were this morning. A howl again tomorrow.

Phil

Penguin
10-06-2010, 10:39 PM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/2006-02-24003.jpg

juro
10-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Pete - get this on one of your new creations? I like the staggered herringbone approach you did on the last series of pictures.

FredA
10-07-2010, 07:35 AM
I like the staggered herringbone approach you did on the last series of pictures

I've been staring at that damn fly for two days now trying to figure out how the hell he did that and how I could get my arthritic fingers to do the same.

juro
10-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Yeah Pete - fess up! I've been thinking same Fred.

bonefishmon
10-09-2010, 10:46 AM
There were just as many fisherman as there were Albies this morning. Avoid the weekends!

Phil

Redfisher
10-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Went out this morning to look for albies. Ran from Stage Harbor to Saquatucket Harbor, trying to stay in calmer water, and checked inshore and offshore. No birds, no fish and no bait that I could see. I did not run into any of the harbors.

The wind and waves have kept me onshore till this morning, but the forecast looks better for the next few days so I hope to get down to Monomoy Point to check that area.

A fisherman died yesterday, just off Race Point, when the twenty foot center console he and his two friends were in sank in five to six foot seas and twenty plus knot winds. The ocean can be a very dangerous place so you have to temper your drive to catch fish with an honest and thoughtfull evaluation of conditions.

Dan

boatdrinks
10-12-2010, 09:04 AM
I ran all over the sound yesterday morning from stage down to Monomoy and around the corner. There were tons of birds of every kind, even saw a gannet, but no breaking fish and nothing in the rips that I could find. Not my weekend.

LeeG
10-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Saw people looking for them upisland and around GH but didn't see any signs of them. Too small a sample to be really helpful though. Sorry.

Gseries69
10-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Found them on Friday. Up and down, couldn't get any good shots at them. PM for details.

boatdrinks
10-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Friend of mine in Jersey is slaying them.

bonefishmon
10-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Pretty much over in my area. If anyone has any intel please PM me.

Phil

juro
10-18-2010, 06:20 PM
SWE in Newport just posted that the gannets, mullet and big bunker have arrived in Rhody. Should be some big stuff down that way if you can get in front of it...

Paxton
10-18-2010, 07:45 PM
RI friend scoped out 5 beaches in RI today...yes....stripers...but all 100 to 200 yds offshore :frown:
Ron