Landlocked in September [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Landlocked in September

blindcurvw
09-21-2010, 11:54 PM
I love New England fall colors; particularly, Black & Silver.

vtloon
10-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Curve, nice looking fish. Not sure which river. I drove by the Peterson Dam road yesterday and it (1st gate) was open for about 75' into the closed second gate. First time I've seen that open; I'll have to check on that.

blindcurvw
10-14-2010, 09:37 PM
I assume you are referring to that bitch Nicole (Tropical storm, not my sister, in case she see's this). That was a lot of rain, rivers only just got back to fishable this past weekend and now another flood watch in affect w/ this Nor'easter coming.

Glad I took yesterday off to go salmon fishing. Been a good early season even w/ the high water.

blindcurvw
01-06-2011, 04:25 PM
This was the big one of the fall, personal best, scaling from photo a few different ways put length at 26-29" but memory/guess would be at the 26" end or range, and 7+lbs. Solid fish.

Water temp was around 59-60F. Had a dozen or so salmon, mostly small ones, holding tight to bottom in the shade of some big boulders in a slow pool that was around 7-8' deep and fully illuminated at 2pm in the afternoon. Water was crystal clear so able to watch everything unfold vividly.

Picked out what I thought was the biggest fish (prob a 3-4lber), studied the current, made a couple unsuccessful drifts before I found the right line to drift the wet fly and do a rise right in front of my target.

Fly was 5-6feet upstream of target when I saw this beast come up from the blind side of an adjacent boulder, turn down stream, swim a few feet and inhale my favorite BWO soft hackle. Guess he decided after the morsel past by that it was a meal worth eating.

I lifted the rod and got a solid hook set, immediately it went airborne. First jump was a full head over tail somersault peaking 3 feet over the water. Don't remember how many more jumps it took but was at least two more big ones before settling down and bulldogging me on the surface for what ended up a 10 min battle. Still don't know how the 6X tippet didn't break.

tight-lines
01-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Very cool!!!

juro
01-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Nice... I need to get up there in 2011!