Monomoy, Friday? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Monomoy, Friday?

FredA
08-03-2000, 07:28 AM
Well, another non-fishing weekend. Weather is looking up for Friday so I think I'll blow a vacation day and head to Monomoy. Anyone one else have the same inclination?

Regards,
Fred A

juro
08-04-2000, 06:59 PM
Sorry Fred... I dreamed about a Friday like this on the water but am still at the office as we speak.

Good luck, hope you re-united with that big fish you hooked off Cold Storage that day I saw you!

FredA
08-04-2000, 09:29 PM
Did the trip despite the late breaking forecast for clouds on the Cape. Hadn't been to the east side yet and figured it was a good time to explore. As it turns out, with the tide running out till about ten, Kieth advised heading east working to the channel between North and South M., and then up the west side for the incoming. Kieth indicated the channel was yielding big fish, though the population density may not be as great. Picked up a couple of fat 18 - 22" on the east side. Norm, who I had met on the causeway, was killing 'em. Walked across the moguls (interesting landscape)to the channel between north and south. Caught my first keeper type (29 to 31). Another fat healthy fish. All in all a great day.

Fred A

juro
08-07-2000, 06:13 PM
Nice job Fred! Hope you got a photo... but if not I'm sure you won't forget that image any time soon. Another Monomoy cherry popper!

FredA
08-08-2000, 12:10 PM
I did lay him down next to my rod for a picture. I was anxious to get 'em back in the water so I didn't dig for the tape. As I remember, tail was about an inch beyond the butt and the working end about an inch beyond the stripping guide, I think, which would make it about 30 ". Whatever - biggest fish I've caught on the fly anyhow.

Fred A

juro
08-08-2000, 03:51 PM
Can't wait to see it! Congrats. Monomoy sure has been good to us.