Anyone seeing anything? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Anyone seeing anything?

jalthoff
09-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi all

I'm going to be fishing from shore Thursday, and I'd love to hear any thoughts people have on locations. Over the last week or so I've gotten skunked in Pleasant Bay (lots of bait, no bass) and Sandwich (lots of bait in the creek, saw one swirl). I've also walked around South Beach and the Bathtub a bit and saw nothing.

Anyway, I'm going to put in a good hard push Thursday morning. I'm debating between Sandwich creeks, Pleasant Bay, doing a real long walk out South Beach to see if I can find anyone migrating through, maybe even taking a trip to North Monomoy (assuming anyone is still running boats out there this late in September).

I'd love to here people's thoughts - no honey holes needed, just anyone's general thoughts on areas.

On Thursday Sandwich High is 6:30 ish and Stage Harbor High is 7 ish ....

Thanks!

flydoc
09-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Bring wire for the bluefish. Or wait until later in the month for the bass to return- water still looking a bit too warm for shorefishing for stripers, unless you can plug into a Rip Trip to the tip of South Monomoy.
Flydoc

FredA
09-13-2010, 01:15 PM
I fished all last week in the Brewster flats area. The catching sucked as did much of the fishing because of weed, wind or weed and wind. The huge tides, while interesting, flushed out tons of weed. I got stubborn and didn't move around figuring the area I was fishing eventually would turn on. I would hope it would get better as the tides settle down.

jimS
09-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Agree with Fred. This past week it was downright awful, both bayside and the elbow. cSJ60 did manage to catch and release one legal bass on Saturday. This time of year, moving from one spot to the next is pretty important. The fish are moving too..

jalthoff
09-16-2010, 05:36 PM
Did get out today around Chatham ... donated some flies to some blues, and no hook ups on stripers, but the cold nights seemed to have had an impact - I saw more bass in shallow water today than I have in a few weeks. Maybe things are going to start turning on ......

striblue
09-16-2010, 06:24 PM
We have a ten man rip trip Saturday so will report back as to what things are down there...

boatdrinks
09-18-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm excited to hear how you guys do since I'll be out next weekend

jimS
09-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Trip cancelled due to large swells and long shore current. A misstep could be a disaster.

boatdrinks
09-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Did anybody get out this weekend?

FredA
09-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Had some good mid incoming dawn action inside the outer bars of the brewster flats. Been looking for this since mid august when it typically starts and it just hasn't happened for me. It's been spooky dead. Glad to finally see it. I suspect it'll be fleeting.

juro
09-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Had every intention of striper pursuit... but at the shore, littlenecks were underfoot such that one scoop would yield a half dozen; oysters were laying ripe for the picking; a few dozen blue crab including some softshells were in the bag before we strung up the poles so we decided that was enough. And saved the fishing for a better tide.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs644.snc4/60465_430774694314_691204314_5212704_4624887_n.jpg
Sauteed softshell blue crab

juro
09-20-2010, 05:33 PM
That being said, there were a lot of big bunker in and some large bass and blues carcasses at the Oyster River ramp.

http://www.facebook.com/juro.mukai#!/video/video.php?v=430096574314&ref=mf

PopnesetBay
09-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Juro: Facebook is telling me that that video has either been removed or I can't view it because of security settings. What is the scoop?
Pete R
PopnesetBay

juro
09-20-2010, 09:28 PM
How about this one..

BUNKER MADNESS (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=430096574314&ref=mf)

OC
09-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Jeepers Juro, Do you eat like that every night? If so we have a free cabin for you out here in Hood River all you got to do is cook one meal a day. We have a huge organic garden, Salmon, steelhead, sturgen, elk, deer and a few sheep to fool around with if you so desire.:smokin:

juro
09-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Jeepers Juro, Do you eat like that every night? If so we have a free cabin for you out here in Hood River all you got to do is cook one meal a day. We have a huge organic garden, Salmon, steelhead, sturgen, elk, deer and a few sheep to fool around with if you so desire.:smokin:

OC - I just might take you up on that! I find preparation of nature's bounty as interesting as tying a fly, except we get to eat it instead of the fish!

Currently trying to decide between the Clearwater / Snake (ID) or Deschutes / Lower Columbia tribs (OR).

flydoc
09-21-2010, 12:11 AM
and a few sheep to fool around with if you so desire.:smokin:

Dear God, OC, whatever you do- don't let him near the sheep!!!!:eek:
Flydoc

juro
09-21-2010, 05:49 AM
Ha ha - not baaaaaaaaaaaaaad Doc :lildevl:

boatdrinks
09-21-2010, 08:52 AM
That looks awesome, getting back into oyster season (although I don't think it really ends on the cape)

highway61
09-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Had some good mid incoming dawn action inside the outer bars of the brewster flats. Been looking for this since mid august when it typically starts and it just hasn't happened for me. It's been spooky dead. Glad to finally see it. I suspect it'll be fleeting.

Fred,

I will be coming down to the cape this weekend and was wondering how the fishing was on the Bay side. Your report here is encouraging. I will be bringing my yak with me so I can get out on the bars and so I don't have to worry so much about the incoming tide forcing me back to shore. Have you, or anyone else, seen more evidence that the fishing is picking up there?

Steve

juro
09-21-2010, 09:31 AM
That looks awesome, getting back into oyster season (although I don't think it really ends on the cape)

September 1st thru May.

juro
09-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Fred,

I will be coming down to the cape this weekend and was wondering how the fishing was on the Bay side. Your report here is encouraging. I will be bringing my yak with me so I can get out on the bars and so I don't have to worry so much about the incoming tide forcing me back to shore. Have you, or anyone else, seen more evidence that the fishing is picking up there?

Steve

Yes they're there but moving around. Don't necessarily expect them in the usual holes, use the yak to find them. All the Brewster ramps are open now.

boatdrinks
09-21-2010, 01:46 PM
September 1st thru May.

no I meant they're tasty all season, not what the leagal season is haha

juro
09-21-2010, 02:39 PM
They sure are! Just talking about them makes me want a half dozen chilled and on the shell.

boatdrinks
09-21-2010, 04:00 PM
They sure are! Just talking about them makes me want a half dozen chilled and on the shell.

Yeah I know what I'm having this weekend!!!! Anyone going to oysterfest up in Wellfleet in a couple weeks?

boatdrinks
09-21-2010, 04:15 PM
I'll be out this weekend, probably fish stage inlet on friday and head down to the rips on saturday morning depending on what the wind does. Anybody else going to be around?

boatdrinks
09-21-2010, 04:15 PM
I'll be out this weekend, probably fish stage inlet on friday and head down to the rips on saturday morning depending on what the wind does. Anybody else going to be around?

juro
09-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Oysterfest for sure! I'll be around on the weekend but booked (guiding). I also need all the cycles I can get to put multiple coats of primer and paint on the rowing dory so I can get around for SCALLOP season :)

boatdrinks
09-22-2010, 08:53 AM
sounds awesome! I wanted to enter the amatuer side of the shucking contest at oysterfest but still not sure if I'll be up that weekend.