Heading to R.I. next week [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Heading to R.I. next week

bruce.campo
09-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Leaving Tuesday evening, fishing Wed-Fri or Sat (depending on fishing). Anyone going to be around, or would like to hook up, send me a PM.

Will post a report when I get back.

Bruce

bonefishmon
09-13-2010, 01:17 AM
Hopefully you'll hit it just right. Really slow right now but these cooler nights will change things quickly. PM me for spots if you need help.

Phil

BigDave
09-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Good timing! Fishing is picking up!

bruce.campo
09-14-2010, 01:24 PM
keeping my fingers crossed and hoping is chills. fishing the breachways during the day and backponds at night...

Adrian
09-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Got my first two albies from shore in one of the breachways around this time of year. Definitely check them out at first light. Especially if the peanuts are in thick.

vtloon
09-15-2010, 06:53 AM
I'll be down in Fisher Island Sound Fri and Sat for a sailboat race/brother bonding. I plan to fish Block Island Sun morning. Report to follow.

bonefishmon
09-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Fishing is getting much better. Phil

bruce.campo
09-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Wednesday - Got into blitzing fish off of weekapaug beach - Bass and blues for about 2 hrs... Just a ball. Bass up to 32" and bluefish to 15 lbs. All on the incoming tide. Once the tide turned, game over...

Thursday saw spotty albie action on the Weekapaug Breachway (I say spotty since I didn't hook up :confused: ). Guy next to me landed 3, I mean RIGHT NEXT to me. After talking to him, the only difference I'm seeing is I'm using intermediate line and he is using fast sinking (ok - maybe differet flies, but come on...)... thoughts anyone Ablies weren't in big time. Maybe 4-5 shows for the incoming, but its early.

No action at Weekapaug beach on an incoming on Thursday (hey, did someone forget to tell the fish what the plan was...).

Fished Napatree from the jetty to the point and got a few shorts. Storm came soon after and that was about it for fishing.

Looked around this morning, and did a little fishing in the back pond at Napatree but nothing...

time to head home and plan the next trip.

Signed - desperately seeking an albie...

jalthoff
09-20-2010, 08:12 AM
I'll be down in Fisher Island Sound Fri and Sat for a sailboat race/brother bonding. I plan to fish Block Island Sun morning. Report to follow.

VTLOON -

Did you fish Block, or were the Igor swells too big? Heading to Block for 3 days of fishing starting this Friday, so curious whether you got out ....

vtloon
09-20-2010, 06:53 PM
VTLOON -

Did you fish Block, or were the Igor swells too big? Heading to Block for 3 days of fishing starting this Friday, so curious whether you got out ....

Yup, fished Block Sunday am. Swells were huge..the breakers at the corner were downright scary; we could not get in anywhere near tight enough. * Fished the New Harbor entrance but no Albies or Bones around, flats were barren too and very little bait. Only fish were a couple of 2# rat-Blues (the 3rd one bit me off, big surprise) while we were gassing up (and Mud-Sliding up) Saturday night at Champlins.

* One boat tried to get in tight after we said no-way; it's now lots of little fiberglass chips. Two (very lucky) people were in the water but a rescue swimmer with fins & a rescue float got them to the town rescue boat. CG 40 and a helo were scrambled as well.

jalthoff
09-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Yup, fished Block Sunday am. Swells were huge..the breakers at the corner were downright scary; we could not get in anywhere near tight enough. * Fished the New Harbor entrance but no Albies or Bones around, flats were barren too and very little bait. Only fish were a couple of 2# rat-Blues (the 3rd one bit me off, big surprise) while we were gassing up (and Mud-Sliding up) Saturday night at Champlins.

* One boat tried to get in tight after we said no-way; it's now lots of little fiberglass chips. Two (very lucky) people were in the water but a rescue swimmer with fins & a rescue float got them to the town rescue boat. CG 40 and a helo were scrambled as well.

Yikes - I hope it calms down by Friday - thanks for the report ....

bonefishmon
09-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Water is still stained inshore this morning. Should be OK by Friday. Air temps hitting the fourties at night. Things should wake up quite nicely.

Phil