Last time I fished a big storm... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Last time I fished a big storm...

juro
09-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Insane numbers of hungry keeper bass came inside a small inlet and sat in front of me for hours until I was too tired to fight any more. Wind was east north east and I could barely cast but it only took 30' to reach them.

The wind was so strong I had to move the car so the door could open without being overly stressed and the rain was horizontal. The sides of my rain hood beat my cheeks so badly they were beet red and the sand from the beach sand-blasted my legs.

I wonder...

flydoc
09-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Reminds me the time Adrian, Jamie (from the UK), and myself were trekking across the top of the tub during the afternoon of Day 1 of a Spring Clave a few years back (after the morning's festivities at the Canal)- horizontal rain right in our faces- I ended up bailing out to heed the call of nature. To this day, I still call that storm "Hurricane Adrian";)
Flydoc

jalthoff
09-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Same experience for me on Nantucket years ago - huge school of bass up in a narrow opening with a big, sustained Northeast wind howling right into the opening. When the tide finally turned, they stacked up in a 10' by 10' area about 20' from the shore just chowed on all the bait being flushed out .....

North side creeks?

bruce.campo
09-05-2010, 04:40 PM
My experience was a few years ago on Martha's Vineyard in the fall. Had a nasty Northeaster and was fishing eel pond. Could only toss your flyline up in the air and the wind would "cast" it 60 feet. A few strips, and your fly would get smashed, cast after cast. Sand and rain beating you up... but just GREAT fishing...

Sigh...I need to be near some water soon..