Race Point Shark Sighting [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Race Point Shark Sighting

juro
08-24-2010, 10:02 AM
You may have already seen this but it's a real close encounter...

http://wbztv.com/slideshows/great.white.shark.20.1873337.html#

striblue
08-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Yes..I have been poopooing all this but I must stand corrected...even my boys will not go surfing with their gang...that home movie capturing a seal hit was TOO close to shore...It must now be some concern wading off south beach although we usually stay in the inch surf...I confirmed the Monomoy Rip sighting and during discussions we all agreed that we have never seen ANY sharks in those rips over the years. I have fished those rips for years and never had seen anything nor did I hear of anything until this year. Nothing on the sound side...the seals are not there, but if the water cools and it will you have to watch if the seals move into the west monomoy flats. Hate to be out there 1/2 mile on the flats on the incoming and see seals around in the distance.

FishHawk
08-24-2010, 04:33 PM
I agree, we make jokes about the sharks but they mean business.:eek: It looks like they're extending their range. FishHawk

juro
08-25-2010, 08:22 AM
These bad boys have always been around. When I worked on USS Arleigh Burke in the early 90's they were commonly reported by Maine fishermen. The Gloucester sighting this year did not surprise me.

When the southway was open I've found dead seals with huge bites missing washed up on the flats since almost a decade ago and once had the harbormaster push me and two clients from Oregon off the J bouy flat because there was a white shark over 10ft long just at the dropoff.

Now that the seals are concentrated between Race Pt and the SM rip ol' mr toothy is focusing there too but I'm sure they're not hesitant to follow the seals anywhere.

It does create a bit of concern though you won't see me trying to swim across from Claflin to Nauset any time soon!

striblue
08-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Yes..that is my feeling too. They have been around. I remember the one lounging at the dropoff and also I remember finding a dead seal with a huge circular bite on the north tip of south mononomy on one of our cancelled Rip trips when Keith would drop us off there as an alternative This had to be about 7 or 8 years ago.

FredA
08-25-2010, 10:54 AM
I remember that munched on seal. It was 9-27-03 according to pics from that day. I'd been thinking about that seal and wondering if the attack occurred on the west side or was the seal deposited from the east by the hard current running right up against the north tip shore that year.

striblue
08-25-2010, 12:15 PM
That's right...I remember the pics now...and one of me inaction that you got without my knowledge....oh.. That night before!

FredA
08-25-2010, 01:03 PM
I'll post it tonight, just cause I'm a nice guy.

bruce.campo
08-25-2010, 02:17 PM
So, if we go out, we should make sure we have bite-wire, right?

I can remember 10 years ago fishing off Wasque and watching guys up the beach that were wading walk back to dry-land... no more then 10 feet off the beach comes a huge shark fin swimming right by... Was just awesome to see.

Looking forward to seeing the pics. That must have given you pause for thought when you saw the seal...

saltfly
08-25-2010, 03:33 PM
These bad boys have always been around. When I worked on USS Arleigh Burke in the early 90's they were commonly reported by Maine fishermen. The Gloucester sighting this year did not surprise me.

When the southway was open I've found dead seals with huge bites missing washed up on the flats since almost a decade ago and once had the harbormaster push me and two clients from Oregon off the J bouy flat because there was a white shark over 10ft long just at the dropoff.

Now that the seals are concentrated between Race Pt and the SM rip ol' mr toothy is focusing there too but I'm sure they're not hesitant to follow the seals anywhere.

It does create a bit of concern though you won't see me trying to swim across from Claflin to Nauset any time soon!
I took a bunch of photos [400mm lens] of a dying seal at sunset drifting with the incoming tide last Sept14th through the mooring balls at Potters lndng.It had a Big bite mark on it's side.I e-mailed the best shot to Greg Skomel on the Vinyard.Definately a White.The seal was found the following morning on the beach by the "green" at Eastward Ho.

tight-lines
08-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Wow... we, the family, just spent the last week basically playing out at race point light includeing Friday the 20th.
A little scary to say the least, I saw a few loner seals were around but the vast majority were around the bend north of head of the medow see attached.
Fishing was slow water seemed very warm.