What you DON'T see... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: What you DON'T see...

Penguin
08-21-2010, 04:44 PM
might rain on your parade...
'on my second week of doxycycline and feelin' better...
the brown tic on the right came off my pup...
what's left of the deer tic on the left was buried in the back of my leg and discovered after I started feeling crappy...
BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/P8141359.jpg

FishHawk
08-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Glad you got it in time. It's also carried by mice along with deer. The Cape is loaded with deer ticks

bonefishmon
08-21-2010, 11:54 PM
I was wondering what the trouble was when I called. I had one of the worst cases you could imagine. I was sent to Yale New Haven as a Guinea Pig early in the Lyme Arthritis study period. 104 degree fever and the doctor was very puzzled. Showed him where the leasion was from the bite and he sent me straight to Yale. Dr. Alan Steer, the guy that figured it all out at Yale had me for a test patient. Poked and drew samples. I was LOADED with Spirokettes. My shoulders froze up solid as it went straight to my football injuries . By the grace of God I can still cast a fly rod but painting the house is no longer an option. So glad you got it treated Pete. Take good care of yourself while healing.

http://www.vaccinationnews.com/DailyNews/June2001/StalkDocSteereReLymeDis.htm

Phil

flydoc
08-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Pete- glad you got diagnosed and put on the doxycycline in time- starting to think they should put it in the water supply down here:roll:
Lost track of the number of those little buggers I've pulled off patients at my office- including a rather engorged one I found underneath an elderly woman's right breast- poor lady thought it was a SKIN TAG- until I told her this "skin tag" had legs that were moving.....:eek:
Doc

P.S. I've found a permethrin-based tick repellant called No Stinkin' Ticks, made by a company called Scent Shield (they also make scent control products for hunters)- you can by it online at Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas- you spray it on your clothing/shoes/boots (NOT on your skin) and let it dry BEFORE wearing in a tick-ridden area.

polareyez
08-23-2010, 03:37 AM
if you cover yourself with Tufflye......:chuckle:

9wt
08-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Google "travel medicine".

You should find a company that sells the Permethrin spray as well as a Permethrin soak for treating clothes. They also sell Picardin repellent , an effective alternative to DEET that won't wreck your flyline.

Michael.