Rip Trip next week [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rip Trip next week


striblue
08-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Today's rip trip organized by Phil ( Bonefishmon) was cancelled . I just called Admiral Ed and was told it was too windy. So...although September is a good time to set some up is there any interest next week..like a thursday or Friday...or even the weekend. We can do a 6 man or 12 man. The tides were good today and I have not checked them for next week... We need and outgoing for at least half a day. I can get 6 by word of mouth but 12 would be great. Simms may also be down so he would be a definite. Just sign in here if you would like to go and the days you can make it...knowing that weather or more importantly wind is always an issue. Phil tried for two trips and failed... So if necessary I would like a shorter window... A 24 or 12 window to get the guys but will start to see if we can get numbers now. OK? I know that the boat guys seem to be doing well at the rips and with stripers not just blues and , who knows, maybe a school of bones will fly in for a brief visit. I'll wear one of my pith helmets just to embarrass everyone..it will not embarrass me;) :smokin:

juro
08-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Similar tides will cycle two weeks from now. I think I'm in Boston that second weekend though.

bonefishmon
08-20-2010, 08:21 PM
We gave it a good try. I'd like to join you but the mortgage needs to get paid this month.
I took three days off from work this week for a much needed R&R Cape fix. We were not disappointed. We found fish but not many. Thanks John for all your help and thanks to all the provided help with the fishing. It was good to see Ron, Gary and Steve and fish with them for a while. This Forum rocks! Get to the Rips if you can guys. It's a great trip.

Phil

Warren
08-21-2010, 06:24 AM
John I may be able to go next week. This coming week is out. I'll keep an eye on the Board.

highway61
08-21-2010, 12:55 PM
John,

I will be able to go next saturday, but the tide will be much better the following weekend. High tide on saturday the 4th will be at 8:30am.

Steve

jimS
08-21-2010, 01:10 PM
John, I don't arrive on the Cape until Monday, 30 Aug. I'm in for a Rip TrIp thru beginning of Oct. How's the mung been this month?

FishHawk
08-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Jim the mung has been spotty . It's all depends on the direction of the wind. Fishing is very slow . Too many water skiers , jet skies and boats.:mad: The only place that's been consistently good is the Canal. FishHawk

striblue
08-21-2010, 03:05 PM
I can wait till the weekend before labor day...will want to do some in September and I will have some crews ready for some trips

Paxton
08-21-2010, 05:30 PM
John...Garry (Polareyes) and I are available for a Friday Rip Trip. Count us in if a trip is possible.
Ron (Paxton)

bruce.campo
08-22-2010, 07:38 PM
I'd be interested in a rip-trip sometime in Sept. Coming from PA, I'd take a few days off and come early and "get warmed up"...

Paxton
08-22-2010, 08:09 PM
John...re-reading the posts....I am now not sure if you are still planning a rip trip this friday??????????????
Ron

striblue
08-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Ron...I am still thinking about Friday..if the weather works....I would do it...I am also thinking that if the tide is not optimal...I will move the group around the corner...about a 1/2 mile right on the tip....try a new area at the point....there is another small rip and the water is basically not effected as a flow but rather just in and out tide with deep holes..but we will have to make the call probabaly Wednesday...short notice is required because of weather. Ok? Also..I have a list of guys who want to go, one guy I guided, also guys from my fishing club...Simms will be back...we may schedule the future ones by PM or email because of the lack of interest...I will schedule them usually on optimum tide and weather and they even maybe on 24 hour notice. I will be working this out with Keith to get hold of the best dates in 4eptember and early October...I will reserve the best dates during those two months with Keith

Paxton
08-23-2010, 07:07 AM
John...no lack of interest with Garry or I.....I am available almost any day, Garry on Fridays and weekends.
Thanks for the clarification.
Re Wednesday calll on the trip....I have a consult gig that day, but should be home by 5 pm
Ron

striblue
08-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Simply put...my thinking, and I feel Simms will agree is that we set these up on no more than a weeks notice with calling the cancellations earlier, Like no shorter than 12 hours. On occasions I would want to put a trip together on 2 or 3 day notice..this I feel would help everyone with planning...just trying to make these more workable.

boatdrinks
08-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Ron...I am still thinking about Friday..if the weather works....I would do it...I am also thinking that if the tide is not optimal...I will move the group around the corner...about a 1/2 mile right on the tip....try a new area at the point....there is another small rip and the water is basically not effected as a flow but rather just in and out tide with deep holes..but we will have to make the call probabaly Wednesday...short notice is required because of weather. Ok? Also..I have a list of guys who want to go, one guy I guided, also guys from my fishing club...Simms will be back...we may schedule the future ones by PM or email because of the lack of interest...I will schedule them usually on optimum tide and weather and they even maybe on 24 hour notice. I will be working this out with Keith to get hold of the best dates in 4eptember and early October...I will reserve the best dates during those two months with Keith

I like that spot you're talking about.

woodtac
08-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Any time after Labor day, I can get down there fairly easily and on short notice and would love to have the chance to join in on a trip. Thanks.

highway61
08-23-2010, 10:32 AM
John,

For the most part I have a flexible schedule and am available on short notice.

Steve

striblue
08-23-2010, 12:43 PM
I am calling Keith today to see if he can on Friday...I got a report from Cross Rip outfitters on Nantucket which is good and expected...bonito are in and have been caught off the Bar......the Bass fishing is picking up since the waters are cooling...this is around the island but also the sound. I don't have tide info yet..for the Rip...but will check it out.

bonefishmon
08-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Low at 8am. Phil

striblue
08-24-2010, 12:17 PM
I think the better decision is to bag Friday..we don't have numbers and the tide is the worst we could have... Only an hour of fishing during peak time after 8 am...the water would still move from right to left even at the turn..but the overall incoming will effect the beach. We should shoot for dates the following weekend where we have numbers and good tides...then start really planning September.

polareyez
08-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Sounds good to me.

bobsold
08-24-2010, 07:10 PM
When you talk about sept and the tip of Monomoy, I think of albies. Would you be expect to be able to run into albies based on what you've seen in past years. I would think by the middle of Sept they'd be there and reachable.

striblue
08-24-2010, 09:33 PM
I have NEVER run into albies down there...but we have not had many September trips. I think one group did see them out of range from that rip. The infrequence of our getting down there makes seeing them plain dumb luck......I have had good luck on 3 occasions in all the years I have fished from shore in that area.... with lucky timing... at the mouth of Stage Harbor....fishing twice on the Hardings side and once on the Moriss Island side....incoming on all three ocassions.... and was fortunate to be in a local, at the time, where they actually stayed around in catching range for a longer period than the run and gun boat results.

boatdrinks
08-25-2010, 08:59 AM
There were albies at the tip of Monomoy at Labor Day last year. Saw them up as far as High Bank.

juro
08-25-2010, 09:05 AM
I've seen them thick in the rips from a boat and highbank (around and to the outside quite a ways) is a hardtail magnet. Again, the most unbelievable year I can remember (9 years ago?) great numbers of them got up inside Pleasant Bay and terrorized the bait up past Ryder Cove for almost two weeks. You could get shore shots at them from various accesses in Chatham and Orleans.