Aitutaki Bonefish [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Aitutaki Bonefish

Aitutakiflyfish
08-10-2010, 06:37 PM
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh255/Aitutakiflyfish/Bonefish/bonefish8Aug003.jpg
We may not have the numbers of bonefish that some of you have seen at your usual destinations but we have the size that brings dedicated fly fishermen to our flats. This little beauty was caught Sunday morning by myself on the flat in town.

Walker
08-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Wow - that is a beautiful picture and a monster of a bonefish.

Aitutakiflyfish
08-11-2010, 12:24 PM
You can get shots at much bigger bonefish than this one. The big ones are tough to pick up but it has been done more than once. Then you just stand and watch line scream out and you shake in you shoes.

LeeG
10-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Hi Butch,
It looks like you have your own piece of heaven out there. Everything I've seen on the Cook islands looks amazing.

Please let me know if I'm reading the lay of the land correctly, you seem to be the only guy out there focussing on flyfishing. You do not have a lodge per se but there are a bunch of nice places that can be rented for short money. Cars can be rented on the island but it's not clear to me whether DIY bonefishing can be mixed in with guided fishing. Frankly, it's too far to go to spend a lot of time learning it on your own. The big issue as I see it is that it takes 2 days to get there and costs about $2,500 from the east coast of the US. Can you give us an idea of what it might cost to put together a trip? Thanks.

Aitutakiflyfish
10-01-2010, 11:56 AM
I have sent you a personnal message with the info you might need to plan a trip. The hard part is in the planning the easy stuff is walking around on beautiful white flats chasing our bonefish. Well maybe not easy to catch but it sure is fun.

Aitutakiflyfish
10-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Right now you can find flights from LAX to Rarotonga for under $1000R/T. Remeber that we use NZ dollars so you will get a decent conversion rate on your money on accommodations and stuff. Some of the places to stay are right on some great DIY flats that you can walk right out to or grab a kayak and get to. It isn't that tough to get to or visit and fish.

Bjorn
10-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Hey Butch, are those flights out of LAX on certain days? I can't find that fare.

Some day Butch... some day I'll get out there... 2012 is my hopeful time frame.

Is Aitutaki full of Bluefin Trevally like I've heard of on Penryhn? I caught a couple in Hawaii that were F-U-N when I couldn't find bonefish.

Aitutakiflyfish
10-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Bjorn, the flight from LAX to Rarotonga is only on Sunday night as there is only one flight a week. Check out www.cheapoair.com.
We have all kinds of trevally in the lagoon. blue fin, yellow fin, black fin, goldens and GT.s. You can definitely fill your time with those on a fly rod. I love trevally because they are such dirty fighters.