First trip to Oregon [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: First trip to Oregon

tight-lines
08-07-2010, 12:21 PM
My first trip to Oregon was a success, awesome country. Did some hike in trout fishing on the Lower Crooked and Middle Deschutes canyons. Had a blast with those native redband trout and the hikes although a bit extreme, were spectacular. We then headed east to the North Umpqua River and spent a day casing steelhead, no success but again a marvelous place. Finally we floated the lower Deschutes, water temps were a bit high 60-67 degrees and we limited our fishing to very early and late. It was my first trip with the spey rod and it was as much a learning experience for me as an angling trip. We picked up 6 fish between the two of us 3 wild 3 hatchery and two were on skated drys so we were happy. It was even more rewarding for myself since I built the rod and on;ly used flies I had tied. As mentioned in Eric’s post water temperatures were all the talk and we did seem to get a cold blast 2 days into our float, so maybe things are coming around. After visiting some of the upstream tribs it would be an amazing thing if the Steelhead could once again utilize that spawning habitat. I’m sure they’ll get it straightened out over the next few seasons and I agree if it helps the wild populations in the long run it’s a good thing.

Joe

jimS
08-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Joe, that steelhead is huge! Good job, and how did it pull compared to our Lake Erie trib steelhead? Thanks for sharing, and that area is on my bucket list.

tight-lines
08-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Jim,
That was a hatchery fish the wild fish were quite a bit smaller I'll post a pic. To compare the fight is a tough one, they seem to be much stronger fish and they have plenty of room to run on that river. Also my spey rod 12'-6" 8wt was a lot different to the 7 wt 10' single hander I use in Erie. What was surreal to me was to be fishing for steelhead in the summer and in that setting (high desert) vs. 20-30 degree temps here at home. I truely enjoyed the spey experiance even thgough I am a novice and would go back in a minute. I'd put it towards the top of your bucket...lol

Joe

juro
08-07-2010, 08:04 PM
YEAH Wow am I ever jonesin' for a steelhead spey fishing trip :Eyecrazy:

tight-lines
08-07-2010, 10:00 PM
You get one together Juro, and I'm in!!!...lol

petevicar
08-08-2010, 06:57 AM
Well done Joe.

I've just got back from Iceland, angling in rivers that are almost dried up.:(

juro
08-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Ok - let's do a fall Pacific Northwest trip this year. I'll put it together for sometime in September or early October.

tight-lines
08-08-2010, 12:40 PM
I have some time save up :lildevl:
Just got back from a trip to the local trout stream, size 26 trico's w/ 8x tippet.
....Man, I miss that pull!!!!!

Eric
08-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Great job, Joe. Excellent post.

The hatchery fish are from a different stock than the native Deschutes Type-A summer runs. They typically have another year of ocean feeding and run larger, probably because of this.

Congratulations on getting some surface action!

I'll be on the river next first week in September. Can't wait to get back.

Cheers,

Eric

OC
08-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Great job Tight-Lines,
Not bad at all for an early trip. Tracy and I fished yesterday but it was way too hot to be on the river. Still a great place to be any time of year.
Hope you all come out and fish this Fall, it's going to be a good year.