new flats boat? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: new flats boat?

OC
08-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Tracy and myself are starting to get bored watching the garden grow and our son Nolan will be ending high school in one year. We may have decided that we are made of gypsy blood, anyway till we are too old to do so so we are thinking of a perfect cruising boat to sail again in. This one boat that we are interested in is so different than our old Mason 44. I could fish flats anywhere in the world with her as she just draws 1 meter and can be beached. She is made to go anywhere in the world even the cold climates above 50 degrees north or south. Would she make a good flats boat or what. Shoot us down if you think this is crazy or is this a poor idea in modern cruising sail boats. :smokin:

www.voiliers-boreal.com/

FredA
08-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Do it. We'll come visit ya.

bonefishmon
08-03-2010, 04:56 PM
OC. Forgive me if I'm halucinating but the photos show a shot of it in an inch of trickle. Now that's shallow! LOL! Go for it

Phil

Moonlight
10-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Googles three times b4 I got back to this propwash:D Actually I saw one of those someplace it might have been here in PA! Looks good to me. Being shallow draft do they complete a rollover quicker in a "knockdown"?

boatdrinks
11-16-2010, 01:28 PM
absolutely do it

OC
02-16-2011, 03:24 PM
The boss told me I need to go to France soon and buy the Boreal. If we do she would be ready in spring 2013. Now I'm nervous:eek: God, new house being built soon and a new custom boat I think I'm going to need my blueprint eyes tuned up and my French which is non existent. WE, We, al la la. We will do flats fishing around the world for a good fee, you will just have to find us.

n1gdo
02-16-2011, 03:57 PM
I am in for a BOREAL Clave!

Moonlight
02-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Those demanding bosses are tough to deal with :lildevl:

juro
02-17-2011, 07:19 AM
OC - After looking at the pics I had to wipe the drool from the keyboard before I could type this reply. The stuff dreams are made of... "Godspeed" seems appropriate.

FLGator
02-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Go...never, ever miss a 'green light' from the boss!!
:smile:

OC
02-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys, The Boss is awwwwwesome!
Looks like I'll go over and talk business, hopefully do a sea trial between 3/21 and 3/25.
I think they only have sole fishing in that part of Northern France. 22 foot tides from what I hear.

FredA
02-18-2011, 07:08 AM
This is beginning to sound like a serious itch that needs scratching.

Off topic, do you remember the wianno senior that was striped down to the skeleton at my cousins boat shop? I was google searchin on pleasant bay and found the link below. If you scroll down the thread you'll find a pic of the boat, "Gretchen".

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?68510-Bull-and-Bear-on-Pleasant-Bay

juro
02-18-2011, 10:25 AM
She's beautiful... what curves :)

This is beginning to sound like a serious itch that needs scratching.

Off topic, do you remember the wianno senior that was striped down to the skeleton at my cousins boat shop? I was google searchin on pleasant bay and found the link below. If you scroll down the thread you'll find a pic of the boat, "Gretchen".

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?68510-Bull-and-Bear-on-Pleasant-Bay

boatdrinks
02-18-2011, 11:15 AM
beautiful boats. Were the bull and bear in Annapolis for race week?

OC
02-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Shat Fred, What you trying to do corrupt me with wooden boats? I've owned one too many Al Masons and Philip Rhodes to go that route again. Never the less Gretchen is extreamly beautiful and it is good that someone loves her. I will go back to wood but not till I'm retired from offshore sailing. Those beauties you posted would be just the right size for an 80 year old.:cool: Did Karl do the work on Gretchen?

OC
02-21-2011, 10:35 PM
The town where the Boreal is built is called Treguir. Check out Treguir, france on google earth and click on the pics along the river and the coast. The tide has to be 25 feet or more! No wonder they are famous for their flat bottom sail boats. I'll be headed over March 20th for a week of sea trials and lots of boat design talk. Hey that is the best week of fishin here on the Hood:eek: Juro take over for me while I'm out of town.

FredA
02-22-2011, 07:27 AM
I'm curious about the metal vs glass advantages/disadvantages:
Cost of materials?
Cost of build?
Performance?

Did Karl do the work on Gretchen? I would guess he did. He's done a number of restorations over the years. Always seems to have a project in progress. While he has a rep for boat prep for racing I think his first love is old boats.

vtloon
02-22-2011, 09:02 AM
OC, that design concept certainly has some major advantages for a world cruiser. Thinking about sitting on the hard, have you seen details of the centerboard trunk/centerboard interface/tolerances and a weight for the centerboard?

BTW, who's going to do the poling on the flats?

OC
02-22-2011, 11:21 AM
The centerboard wieght is over 600 pounds, hydraulic up and down with hand crank in an emergency. The tolerance's are such that it does not make noise. I'm curious to find out how you scrape barnacles out of centerboard box. The centerboard comes out easily through the top hatch from what I have been told so I guess you use the anchor winch which is right in front of the mast and a halyard to lift it out.
Fred, glass is easy to take care of as it does not rust or have electrolis problems. Aluminum is really strong and can take the cruisers nightmare of hitting a container or a whale. Aluminum is easy to repair if damaged. The boat has a computer system that monitors electroilis and lets you know how much if any. But you still can get other types of corrosion if you do not do monthly checks throughout the boat. Keeping the bilge clean really helps and when you drill a hole somewhere make sure you vac up all the aluminum filings. Everything is a trade off on a cruising boat but we want the strenght of aluminum and the abillitty to anchor and cruise in the shallow water islands of the south pacific. We just want to try something new to American cruisers, were getting up there in age and a new boat like this makes feel like were 50 again:smokin: . Of the next 6 boreals being built 3 are for Americans.
www.varen.be/nl/a/2

bonefishmon
02-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Wow. I like how the boat is anchored to windward to keep her from blowing over on her side up on the flats.

OC
03-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Well I went and did it, we are now the owners of a baby. The Boreal 44 will be started in the fall and completed in June 2013. I couldn't say no as I went for a all day sail on one of the owners 44. The day on the Britteny coast was sunny and warm and we started out with 9 knots of wind. The Boreal sailed on a broad reach at 4.8 knots without a spinnacker up. I thought that was amazing but when the winds increased to 18 knots she flew at between 8.8 and 10 knots. Better yet after the wind hit 12 knots on a beam reach I didn't have to touch the helm for over 45 minutes and the boat sailed as strait as an arrow. That gives us so many options when thinking of power consumption when the auto helm is on, there won't be a lot of juice being used. The crew who build the Boreals were top quality and their workmanship was beyond anything I've seen in a boat yard. The two owners of the company are outstanding and have years experience cruising, coaching the French olympic Finn team, managing Puma in the Volvo cup team and running the french team in the America's cup. It's a different boat than anything I've ever sailed and had offers to buy it from Frenchmen who want one as soon as possible. Tracy and I feel lucky that we contacted Boreal when we did or else we would have been late, the company is now booked for the next couple of years at 6 boats a year.
Now back to fishing steelhead for awhile.

FredA
03-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Welcome back and Congrats! With regard to loons question,
BTW, who's going to do the poling on the flats?

So does it come with a poling platform?

juro
03-29-2011, 01:48 PM
W O W

There probably aren't any words that will do justice to the life adventures that lie ahead but if there are Tracy will find them, and I will be reading!

Congratulations!

(BTW - will pole for food)

teflon_jones
03-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Congrats! Looks like an amazing boat.

Now you need to build a casting deck off the front so your fly line doesn't get tangled in the lines.

OC
03-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks Guys,
Fred, hopefully that's what we have you for from time to time. Mind you we are booked for the Atlantic crossing already. Tracy's brother and Nolan demand first crossing. But we will need polers in the East Indies, yes?
Teflon their is a stern platform but the idea is to go into the flats and drop anchor fish awhile till the tide goes off the flats and then set the BBQ beside the boat and enjoy. They have been doing that over in France a lot with the Boreal.

FredA
03-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Steve, you state the boat will be complete in June of 2013. Did you mean 2012?

OC
03-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Nope 2013, I trust you will still be in good enough shape to push a pole by then? It takes 18 months to build one of these boats. They start in the fall of this year.:whoa: :eek: :Eyecrazy:

vtloon
03-30-2011, 07:11 AM
Steve, congrats on such a major commitment; I like the way you walk the walk.

OC
04-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Some pics of my trip to Brittney, sailing the Boreal 44 and at the factory. Amazing work they do, this boat is built strong.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos[/ur

OC
04-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Sorry can't figure out why that wont work:frown:

vtloon
04-05-2011, 06:54 AM
I gave up on Picassa; Photo-bucket (free) works like a charm.

juro
04-19-2011, 05:27 AM
Well Mr.Wrye?? Inquiring minds need to know...

OC
04-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Juro, I just got the site in my post to work from Page two. Also the new house pics are there, we just broke ground yesterday. The river is directly below house site. The boat pics are from France.

http://picasaweb.google.com/1h/myphotos

Juro just go to post #29 that url works now and it is the same as the one above, maybe you can fix this one.

juro
04-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Steve - you messin' wit me? ;) That link generates a 404 (not found).

How's that sweet river been fishing lately?

OC
04-21-2011, 12:35 PM
If you go to post # 29 where I first posted the link that one is now working anyway for me. Fishing is awsome but I'm too busy with track and field coaching.

FredA
04-22-2011, 06:54 AM
Steve, the link just brings me to the home page. Do you have album names we can search on?

On a related note I tried getting on to photo bucket per loons post but couldn't get past the sguigle letters in the sign-up routine. After 5 trys I typed in F**k it. That didn't work either.

OC
04-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Fred, there should be two thumbs on that home page, one for the house and one for the boat. Just click on the pics and you come to all the photos. Anyway that was how it was maybe I should just type F it too anf them go have a drink or joint or something.:smokin:

OC
02-12-2013, 08:56 PM
Well we are down to three months and counting on the new flats boat. I'm working full time on boat stuff and Boreal is working full time on getting boat done for the end of June.

I think this will work.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos

There should be pictures from my first trip to France and the last trip Tracy and I took in September. The new pics are in with the older pics not the end file. There are some house pics of the new house we built in Hood River too.

Cheers

Steve and Tracy

juro
02-13-2013, 07:01 AM
Hi Steve -

Back on the Hood River project again now, and will probably be there late March or early April thereabouts. How's the fishing on the Hood then?

Couldn't see any pics on that link but I can only imagine how the vessel is coming together by now

best to your family,
J

OC
02-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Sorry about that Juro. I can click on it and see all the pictures. See you in spring.

FredA
02-14-2013, 03:26 PM
I think you have to make the subject directories public for others to view.

Photobucket works pretty good. I'll e'mail a link with pics of the grandson and my son's wedding for chuckles. Retirement looms this summer though I have a lot of work to do to get ready.

So, are you planning to stop and play with stripers on your way to France?

OC
02-16-2013, 09:23 AM
We will be out to have a drink with you, Donna and juro. Maybe at our house on the Cape.

Retirement is cool never let anyone kid you it is not.

juro
02-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Awesome - looking forward to your arrival, when will that be?

OC
02-16-2013, 07:06 PM
May or early June.

OC
06-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Hey Juro and Fred,

We were going to come to the cape to the cottage but Tracy's brother rented it out, Idiot! We will be in Boston area last week of June but not sure we will get to the cape now. Leaving Boston July first for Brittany, we have rented an old 17th century farm house for 3 weeks till we can move on the boat and start sea trials.

Sorry I can't go fishing with you guys on the cape or at least I don't think I can. But over in Treguier the town the boat is being built they have some type of bass screaming around on the tide chasing bait. They are all silver and look to go about 10 pounds or so. I'll give them a try, I need to find out what they are.
Keep in touch and I'll send our blog once we get it going.
Here is the boat builder web page. click on gallery at top to see the boat, www.voiliers-boreal.com Youtube has some vids also by typing in Boreal 44. There is one of the boats being built that is OK.

Later

Steve and Tracy

juro
06-03-2013, 06:51 AM
Bummer but also awesome news on the boat! We'll try to keep some of these guys around until you can make it...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151490224439315&set=vb.154300057933782&type=2&theater

FredA
06-03-2013, 07:41 AM
OC, you guys are always welcome to stay at our place. I'll be on vacation the last week in June, then vacating the cape the week of the fourth for a rental in Maine with extended family.

juro
06-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Fred - been out lately? It was red hot weekend before last

FredA
06-03-2013, 04:08 PM
I was down last week. My area had a lot of nice fish once things settled down after the cold front passed through. Cataracs and some age related macular degeneration seem to be affecting my seeing fish or it could be I'm just not calibrated yet. Structure west of the creek is flat, any troughs ar subued and a lot of gravel bars are covered with sand:(.

OC
07-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Hi Guys,

Sorry for my non ability to post pictures of the boat now that we are in France.

Everything is going well and we will start sea trials later this week. I will give you this code to view on youtube RC Louise when she was launched the other day. We are in Brittany, France in a town called Treguier. In the vid you will see she really is the perfect flats boat for fishing anyway until the mast went on. Now she is the perfect flats boat to anchor in the Bahamas as she only draws 1 meter when the centerboard is up. Go to youtube and type in 00001Lancement RC LOUISE you should come up with the video. Maybe someone else knows how to post the right thing to get it up automatically.

By the way they got some great sport fishing over here, some type of Bass that cruises the rocks, tidal rivers and beaches. I'm sure they can be caught on a fly.

Cheers
Steve and Tracy

FredA
07-23-2013, 05:12 PM
The Luanch.

00001 - YouTube

juro
07-23-2013, 08:33 PM
WOW! Congratulations OC!

Ironically, I am in Hood River

Moonlight
07-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Very nice indeed. So quick to respond to power and rudder what a dream to dock in tight quarters. But you already Knew that I'm guessing (lol):smokin:

FredA
07-24-2013, 02:09 PM
A furthur search reveals that the above clip is part 2. Here's part one.

00000 - YouTube

OC
10-04-2013, 10:14 AM
New blog site Tracy recently put together.

www.rc.louise.busywild.com

Enjoy she did a nice job.

MR OC and Mrs OC

juro
10-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Awesome... again, you and Tracy remind me that the world is big, it's out there waiting and life is short.

FLGator
10-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Definitely living the dream!!! Congratulations and look forward to reading of your adventures.

juro
12-20-2013, 09:45 AM
Enough already with the spam.

OC
03-10-2014, 03:44 PM
In Antigua, leaving tomorrow for Panama and through the canal then on to S. Pacific. Boat sailing really well, 18 days from Canaries to Martinique. First 6 days 30 to 40 KTS and big seas from two directions boat was almost perfect in those conditions. Last 12 days in 20 to 25 KTS and down wind wing on wing easy too easy I got board. Fish just OK. Did see a 5 foot tarpon at the internet cafe in Falmouth Antigua. It swam under the dock and cafe never did see it again.

Hope all of you are well and getting ready for a good stripa year.

Google RC LOUISE unvarnished for blog, we don't add much to it but you never know.

Cheers

Steve and Tracy

FredA
03-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Been following your travels. Seemed you were lingering in the carrib and was curious as to your plans.

All's well here. Got a couple of keepers at the end of '13 and beginning of '14, Emily and Hazel. Been working on the cape house doing all the stuff I was supposed to do before retiring. Looking forward to the striped ones and the opportunity to really get dialed in, with all my "free time".

You need to get Tracy to give you the keys to the blog occasionally for a little tech talk on the boat.

Great to hear from you and good luck on the crossing to paradise.

OC
03-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Thanks Fred,

Glad to hear the time has come for you to really go to work by hanging out.:D

Ya I need to have some time to write on the blog but I can't drink rum and write at the same time.

The Boat is doing great and really sails well, we will put through another test on this next passage as the trip to Panama is a lousy crossing when you get north of the Columbia coast. Lots of strong wind but really lousy seas as you start getting a very confused sea state due to the bounce back of prevailing wind swell on the centeral Amaerican coast. Usually just 4 meters at most but coming at times from the bow and the stern.

Enjoy the fishing and If I can remember after a few too many rums I will put up the webcan page for the Panama canal and the date we go through so folks can watch.

Cheers

Steve

juro
03-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Steve,

I'll be back in the hood later in the month. Let me know if there's something I can do.

Moonlight
03-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Tarpon fishing in Panama?

OC
03-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Yup Tarpon and snook in Panama! We have decided to keep the boat here on the Caribbean side of Panama for a couple years and explore this amazing area. Being it will be a big el neno year and the crossing to the S. Pacific will be lousy why not stay and enjoy all that is here. We did go throught the caanal on someone eles boat and that was just amazing. Looking foreward to getting up to the north to Bocus del Toro to surf and fly fish. A river close by that we can go up and anchor is famous for big tarpon and snook, that will be next year though as we will head for the San Blas Islands untill the begining of May. Then we will put the boat on the hard and come back in early December to cruise surf and fish for 6 months. A big change in plans but looking forward to being in Hood River 6 months and cruising 6 months.

Cheers

Steve and Tracy

OC
03-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Oh I forgot on trip from Antigua to Panama we caught and released 3 marlin in 3 days on the hand line. Scarry stuff I must say. we have some great video but I need to learn how to deal with it one of these days. biggest was about 200 pounds.

Moonlight
03-28-2014, 11:23 AM
OC that all sounds as close to perfect as any plan yet!:smokin:

OC
05-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Boat goes on the hard tomorrow and we will be back in states soon. A lot harder putting boat on hard in tropics than for winter back in states. Two weeks of hard work in temps of 95 and 90% humidity. Loose weight though!

Next year here we will fly fish a lot more as I'm starting to get how it works on the flats and the jungle rivers. Tarpon are big in rivers really big but I don't dare fish for them in the inflatable because of 4 meter long crocks. Ya got to keep the inflatable moving in those rivers or else.

Coming back from San Blas Islands under sail and in less than 6 meters of water caught and release a beautiful sail fish on the hand line we troll behind the boat. That was a shock. We seem to be hell bent on bill fish this year when we only want food, I don't have room in my freezer for 200 pounds of marlin.

Later

Steve and Tracy

Moonlight
05-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Great update Steve. Sounds like a lot of fun in the sun, hope to see you soon I still have same cell #:)

juro
05-08-2014, 01:11 PM
I'll be back in the 'hood July, let's get a beer I want to hear some world traveler tales

OC
06-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Now that Tracy and I are back in the Hood I'll try and post a few pictures. For give me if they don't come out right, 1st time trying.

So this is what our new flats boat can do! We are anchored in 1.3 meters of water by a deserted Island in the San Blas Islands, Caribbean side of Panama. Great flats fishing and the jungle rivers have some really big Tarpon.

OC
06-14-2014, 12:49 PM
I guess I should put a fish pic in the mix. Sailfish hooked and released in only 6 meters of water about 100 meters off the coast of Panama's Caribbean side.

No not on a fly rod, next time.

OC
06-14-2014, 01:02 PM
Tracy was back in the states for a couple of weeks and me and a young German guy sailed between Islands in Eastern Caribbean. This pic was taken by one of the race boats headed for Antigua Race Week. We held them off for over an hour before they passed us. They were impressed that a cruising centerboard boat sailed so well to windward. Sorry about the sail trim, once they passed us I started adjusting sails to slow down and just enjoy the ride.
Sea this day 4 meters and winds 25 to 30 KTS. Easy sailing for the new flats boat.

Sailing between islands is fun because it usually only takes about 4 or 5 hours before your sitting in a bar and your boat is anchored close by.

FredA
06-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Good to hear from you Steve as I was getting concerned about the silence. But there was nothing in the news about a gringo getting ate by a croc so I didn't pay it too much mind..

Still mired in projects here on the Cape. Fishing has be luke warm and cold, water temps have been on the cool side. Usually I'm wet wading, at least on sunny days, by Memorial day but not this year. I guess it could be an age thing also.;)

FredA
06-21-2014, 05:01 AM
On a whim I checked out the cruising forum on sailing anarchy the other day. Found your updates in the French centerboard thread. Excellent posts. Great tech talk, even for the sailing no-nothing but technically curious like myself.

juro
06-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Awesome... makes me think my cubicle is a bit confining

OC
06-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Hey Juro, see you this summer in the Hood.

Fred, ya going to SA can be a street fight a lot of times but they treated me well. That thread I was informed sold another Boreal.

Come out and visit us.

juro
07-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Looking forward to being back in da hood Steve, schedule now pushed out to August sometime will drop you a line. Maybe the lower Deschutes will have some fish to toss a fly at by time I get out there.

OC
07-03-2014, 05:18 PM
They are there already.

juro
07-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Co-worker from the seeing-eye bird maker in Hood River landed a 34" summer buck in an hour's casting on the Klick the other day.