Is This Cheating? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Is This Cheating?

bigduck10
08-02-2010, 01:06 PM
I was fishing Cheasapeake Bay last week. Hotter than you know what. We were fishing at night and we were having no luck with anything artificial.
I put on a lead head jig, put some crab on, I was using my 10 wgt with sinking line. Wham! It was on. We caught 10 using the same method. Biggest was 22 pounds.
My question, I felt like I was cheating, by not using a artificial.
What are your thoughts?

Cole
08-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Sounds like fun, but definitely cheating in my book! :rolleyes:

JonC
08-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Do you really have to ask?
Jon

FishHawk
08-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Only if you think it is. Who really cares?:eek: Your goal was to catch a fish and you used a method that worked. That's the bottom line you caught fish. FishHawk

JonC
08-02-2010, 06:46 PM
We choose to fish with flies because it is the most challenging way to pursue our quarry and therefore the most gratifying, if the thrill remains the same to catch your fish on bait, then I guess that's okay but it just ain't the same.
Jon

bobsold
08-02-2010, 07:06 PM
I'd much rather hear you caught one on a crab and released it, than you caught one on a special creation and ate it. I see no problem with your method.

bigduck10
08-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I don't even own a spinning rod or bait casting rig. Only fishing I do is with a Fly Rod. Last time I will use live bait. I like the hunt and the chase.
Only kept the 22 pound one. All the rest went back in the water.
At night when they aren't on the surface what is the fly most of you use?
I had no idea what to put on. Tried surface plugs, Deceivers, and Clousers with no luck.

Thanks,
Bill

juro
08-02-2010, 09:54 PM
How about a crab fly? :D

Dble Haul
08-03-2010, 10:36 AM
How about a crab fly? :D

Who invited this wise guy? :lildevl: :wink:

FredA
08-03-2010, 12:10 PM
If you're fishing from a boat...you're cheating.:razz:

If you're asking...you're cheating. :tsk_tsk:

I would of considered it experimenting/intelligence gathering:devil:

striblue
08-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Oh God! are we still opining on this? If you want to do it's no big deal to me > I don"t do it but I do know that the history of casting did include bait using a fly rod...before casting rods were invented..... also the early English used a rat tail to imitate a sand eel..... and we do use natural material.... fine line and I agree with FishHawk. If you ask that question expect purist to put you down....but if you enjoy that fishing or any fishing who cares what anybody thinks. I hope I don't hear purist chumming to get fish in range to cast a fly...which is a fact. Also, I saw Juro at the care wash over the weekend and he was cleaning out his car... and I observed....on the ground.... near his door a sluggo....yes...I was excited as Juro explained that a father and son were just in his spot a few moments before. naturally I backed off but said I might post it...he laughted and figure I would forget about it.:tongue: :lildevl: :wink:

juro
08-03-2010, 12:38 PM
I WAS FRAMED!!!

FredA
08-03-2010, 02:19 PM
near his door a sluggo....yes...I was excited as Juro explained that a father and son were just in his

Was it pink?

juro
08-03-2010, 02:42 PM
HAHAHHAHAHAHA

Now John's ruse has been exposed! Pink just isn't my color (unless it's being modeled by the fairer sex).

boatdrinks
08-03-2010, 02:43 PM
dynamite would be cheating I think you're ok.

FishHawk
08-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Juro: as my dear departed friend Mr. Basser would say" Welcome to the Dark Side!!!!:lildevl: :chuckle: "

striblue
08-03-2010, 06:13 PM
I believed Juro, except he had on the Dan Ackroid look in the movie "Trading Places", went the cop took PCP out of his pocket and he said...."That's not mine!". Juro have you ever seen what pink sluggos can do to kids?

bigduck10
08-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Pink sluggos!! Classic

striblue
08-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Conversation:
"Hey you, your not flyfishing by using that lure."
- "why?"
"Because your not using a fly, and you have to CAST it with a fly Rod"
- "why?"
"Well because that is just the way it's done, everybody know that."
- "who's everyone?"
"Flyfishérs that's who"
-" who are Flyfishers?"
" Unbeleivablle! Guys who flyfish.
-" they say that? Where did they learn that?"
"Didn't have too, it is just understood. It is just the way it's been done."
- "how long have you done it?"
"Twenty-five years and my father and grandfather did it too."
- Do you know if they did it another way"?
" All I know is that they just flyfished".
- " so all you know and learned was from them. Right? And don't know what others did or thought....Right?
- yes, what difference would that make?
"Nothing...I was just thinking.
- "well don't, it just the way it is."
"Why?"
- "because"
"Why?"
- "just because".

Chris
08-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Anything with pink, right Bill?

BTW. What are you driving these days John? I swear I saw you in a red corvette when I was down a couple weeks ago. I let it enter traffic on 28 in Falmouth.

striblue
08-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Hi Chris.....no...I still have the black H-3.....I know the guy and I am much better looking, but I am grumpier than he is (wink)

boatdrinks
08-05-2010, 10:40 AM
It may horrify some but I know a guy who casts 4 inch sluggos on a fly rod and does well. If you're having fun don't worry about it.

boatdrinks
08-05-2010, 10:41 AM
how do you like the H-3 by the way? I looked at those before getting the Jeep.

FishHawk
08-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Chris the Tutti-Frutti rules.:smoking: But I've got another secret fly called the "stick".
No pink in this fly but effective as hell. FishHawk

striblue
08-05-2010, 06:54 PM
I love the H3...very safe car and not as big as you think...the only draw back is the visibility...the hug roll bars and small windows requitre getting used too... And I got it after my wife passed as the single parent and felt that this was the safest on the road...also, I get better gas milage than I did with my Jeep GC.... Not by much but the gas issue is what surprises everyone...everyone mistakens it for the H2 as far as gas milage goes.

boatdrinks
08-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Do you have the 3.5L straight 5 or the 8? I've heard the mileage with the 5 isn't terrible. I looked at the "tactical edition" a couple years ago that had a 5-spd in it. That was a really cool truck, should have looked harder.

striblue
08-07-2010, 08:41 AM
I have the 5 but an automatic..I did put a brush guard....don't ask me why...I do have a hard time parallel parking.... I might take out the whole front end of a low car...I rides great though