New here [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New here

bigbadwulff
08-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Just posted in the trout forum but I also enjoy warm water. Going after some smallies as soon as the weather cools down a bit here. Gonna be near 100 the next few days here. Can't wait for things to cool off some.

Eric
08-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Welcome to the Worldwide Flyfishing Forum. You'll find warm water enthusiasts here, although with those who fish for everything from albacore to zebra fish.

Cheers,

Eric

Dble Haul
08-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Welcome. I have been doing more saltwater fishing than anything else for the past several years, but I still do plenty of springtime pike and smallmouth fishing.

desmobob
08-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Welcome aboard!

Good fishing,
desmobob

Adrian
08-03-2010, 05:43 AM
Welcome aboard.

Smallies are a blast.

Dont let the warm water put you off - the warmer it gets the more they get active - at least up here on the Housatonic. :smokin:

JR SPEY
08-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Just posted in the trout forum but I also enjoy warm water. Going after some smallies as soon as the weather cools down a bit here. Gonna be near 100 the next few days here. Can't wait for things to cool off some.

More importantly, what are your water temperatures? I find that river fishing around here (Wisconsin) tends to be better the warmer it gets. Our best smallie fishing of the year occurs when water temps are into the 80s. We've had a very warm summer around here and yet the water temps are still within range. The notion that smallmouths are "coolwater" fish is not really accurate, especially in rivers. Last summer was one of the coolest on record around here and the smallie fishing sucked most everywhere. Now, if your water temps (surface) get over 90*F that might be another issue, but the fish have to go somewhere and they have to eat regularly in those temps. If you're fishing natural lakes or reservoirs during those heat waves the fish will be as deep as the thermocline allows and many times that means beyond reasonable flyfishing range. Try moving to a river and you might be pleasantly surprised.