We're gonna need a bigger boat.... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: We're gonna need a bigger boat....

Dave17
07-31-2010, 09:58 PM
National news said there are 12 great whites that have been spotted, and are attempting to be tagged off of Chatham.... Any close encounters or stories? The lighthouse looked like a zoo.......

bonefishmon
08-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Nature has a way of balancing things. Goodbye seals.......hello stripers!

Phil

juro
08-01-2010, 06:16 AM
I don't know I have to drive around the other way now :roll:

With regional seal populations approaching 10,000 it's just nature's way of balancing things out... seems like we need a lot more to get ahead of the explosion

My theory is there are not enough places on the coast that compare to Chatham and the outer cape anymore - they have all been destroyed which puts the concentration of seals in one spot, a pristine federal preserve. I'm sure the distribution of seals pre-industrialization was wide up and down the coast.

Well I know one thing I won't be painting a seal profile on the bottom of my rowing dory anytime soon!

striblue
08-01-2010, 07:39 AM
I can not remember seeing downtown Chatham so crowded despite being hight season..."Here lies the body of Mary lee, died at the age of 103, all though those years she kept her virginity...not a bad record for this vacinity." Quint

desmobob
08-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm ready....

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww41/desmobob900ss/Cape%20Cod/SharkBaitb.jpg

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww41/desmobob900ss/Cape%20Cod/SharkBaita.jpg

:hihi:

"I love to go swimmin' with bow-legged women....."

Good fishing,
desmobob

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/107383/great_white_sharks_close_cape
http://www.nowpublic.com/environment/great-whites-cape-cod-beaches-closed-2646400.html

Warren
08-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Desmobob, is that a P-40 Pungo? or an A-10 Pungo?:biggrin:

desmobob
08-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Desmobob, is that a P-40 Pungo? or an A-10 Pungo?:biggrin:

I'll have to say it's a P-40 Pungo 140. :chuckle:

The sharkmouth nose art first showed up on WW1 aircraft but I think the P-40s of the American Volunteer Group flying in China (who copied it from the Luftwaffe 76th Destroyer Wing Bf-110s) are the aircraft most identified with it.

It's been used on everything from Cessna O-1 Birddog spotters to C-130 transports and all manner of modern jets, but it just seems to fit perfectly on that big chin of the P-40....

http://www.cloud9photography.us/Military-Aviation-Photography/SHARK-MOUTH-Military-Airplane/4407156_hre5J/7/622265548_GFvt8/Large

Good fishing,
desmobob

rooster
08-12-2010, 01:38 PM
:smokin: Hey Bob, Cool graphics, you can troll first, next Spring. I am headed to BC right now (typing this message from O'Hare!). The silvers are in and probably the sealions, also. Anyways-getting away from the heat for a few days!
I think I'll get some seal decals for Pete's hobie....,
Stay cool.
Cheers
DK

flydoc
08-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Report today of a 14 ft whitey found INSIDE Chatham Harbor- between the new Nauset break and Tern Island (the small island located near the Chatham fish pier)- Lighthouse Beach immediately closed and all swimmers/waders told to GET OUT OF THE WATER- must have been reminiscent of that beach scene from "Jaws"....except for the part where the little boy gets eaten:eek: Where's Chief Brody and Quint when yah need 'um?
Flydoc

rooster
08-12-2010, 02:12 PM
are they sure it wasn't Bob's sunken "shark bait" kayak?:chuckle:

desmobob
08-12-2010, 03:59 PM
are they sure it wasn't Bob's sunken "shark bait" kayak?:chuckle:

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww41/desmobob900ss/Cape%20Cod/SharkBait.jpg

Hmmm... length is right, but I have an alibi! And it's the saddest one: I was working!

Wait 'till those sharks get a look at the seal flipper-like phins propelling Penguin's Hobie... if that doesn't ring the dinner bell for them, I don't know what would! :whoa:

The big question now is, who will hook the first Great White on a fly? Is it possible without using a big "chum fly" soaked in blood?

Good fishing,
desmobob

2010 Cape Cod Kayak safety gear check list:

PFD -check
whistle - check
knife - check
Mossberg 590 Mariner 8-shot 12ga - check
Colt 1911 Commander .45ACP -check
Spare ammo (12 ga. 1 oz slugs and .45ACP 230gr. HydroShok) - check
Depth charges - still looking

JonC
08-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Check out Midcurrent .com today, Getting "Acclimatized" to Great Whites.

Getting "Acclimatized" to Great Whites
By
Marshall Cutchin
on August 17, 2010 6:06 AM | Permalink

Adam Coca was fishing from his 13-foot sit-on-top kayak off the coast of San Mateo last week when a great white shark knocked him into the water and proceeded to chew first on the bow of the yak and then on his paddle leash -- after pushing him around in circles a few times. Coca's response: "He plans to return to ocean fishing, even at Bean Hollow, as soon as he repairs his boat. 'Oh yeah, you gotta get back on the horse, for sure.'" Allen Bushnel in the Santa Cruz Sentinel.

read the full article here http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15798197?nclick_check=1

Jon

boatdrinks
08-17-2010, 02:27 PM
this isn't going down to the pond and chasing bluegills or tommy cod...

capt_gordon
08-17-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm talkin bout workin for a livin... I'm talkin bout Sharkin!

desmobob
08-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Check out Midcurrent .com today, Getting "Acclimatized" to Great Whites.

That guy's got brass ones!

Yeah... if a Great White ate half my kayak, I'd "get back on the horse" too. Of course, it would be a different horse...

Here's a photo of Rooster and Penguin and I headed back to the parking lot after some fishing trials with the new shark resistant (I'd even dare say "shark proof") boats, taken at a secret Cape location:

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww41/desmobob900ss/Cape%20Cod/AAV.jpg

With a "kayak" like this, you don't even have to drag it down to the water or back up the beach. Just drive! When a big ol' shahk tries to sink his pearly whites into one of these, he'll get a toothache. But the pain from the toothache will be quickly forgotten when the gunfire starts.

Personally, the biggest benefit I find in having a "kayak" like this is all the extra room for packing a nice, big healthy lunch. And snacks. And dessert. Etc. And none of that pesky paddling is required. The drawback is there's a lot of stuff on deck to get your fly line fouled in. And driving up and down the beach, your can really F-up some plover nests if you're not careful.

Good fishing,
desmobob

rooster
08-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Too cool Bob
I think you might be able to pack a lunch large enough for a few of us.
Just add Big Blue to the topside and we got it.
DK:eek:

striblue
08-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Ah the memories....yes BIG BLUE... Someday to be in a roped off area at the Smithsonian..with many stories said about it.

Redfisher
08-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Was visiting Fishing The Cape yesterday and had one of the local guides confirm a story about him that I had read on another site.

He was fishing the Monomoy rips a week or so back in a dense fog and had drifted back into the rip to land a nice striper. As he held the flyline and was about to reach down to leader the bass, a 12' Great White surfaced, grabbed the bass, and thrashing his tail , sending a spray of water into the boat, was gone.

They let the shark run off with the fish and when the line went slack started to pull-in what was left of the bass,about eight pounds of head. As the remains of the bass neared the boat the shark reappeared behind the bass and, showing all his teeth, took what was left of the bass and disappeared.

His parting advice for me was "look around before you reach down to land a fish".
That's some advice I will really take to heart!!!

Dan

desmobob
08-18-2010, 04:26 PM
:whoa: :eek: :Eyecrazy:

Now that I think about it, wading isn't nearly all it's cracked up to be. Same goes for kayaking too, really. The striper fishing hasn't been all that great for the last few seasons. I'm thinking more and more about taking up stamp collecting....

Far inland and safe at my PC,
desmobob

striblue
08-19-2010, 05:50 AM
Did you happen to get the name of that guide at Fishing The Cape?

JonC
08-19-2010, 06:59 AM
While driving down to the river last night, turned on the radio to this- http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129276935&ps=cprs
Apparently these great whites are a national curiosity.
Jon

striblue
08-19-2010, 08:19 AM
I got a PM from someone and have it...no need to post

Redfisher
08-19-2010, 02:55 PM
John

I heard the story from his own lips. I turned around as my grandson and I entered the store and there he was walking in right behind us. Hearing the story directly from him had much more impact than just reading it on the net.

I certainly won't stop fishing the Monomoy rips since I've know for many years that great whites were in that area. But knowing that there are more of them and that they will attack bass at boatside I'll be much more careful about holding bass in the water while I unhook them.

Dan

striblue
08-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Yes, I have known him for years and he is a good guy and credible, a very accomplished , knowledgeable, and reliable guide. The last of the direct Orvis guides since the shop is now affiliated with Hardy....I will miss the elog program and my great discounts... And other perks. But I really don't do it anymore and I got a reference from them and took the guy out free...I said let's just go fishing..what the heck...he wanted to see North Monomoy and was warned of the conditions.

Warren
08-21-2010, 05:31 AM
Bob, clearly yourself, Rooster & Penguin need to send those "Kayaks" down to the Jones Brothers for the Cape Fisherman Mods. They will slick those decks up nicely:biggrin:

desmobob
08-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Bob, clearly yourself, Rooster & Penguin need to send those "Kayaks" down to the Jones Brothers for the Cape Fisherman Mods. They will slick those decks up nicely:biggrin:

I was hoping there was someone around that could set me up with a twin 50-cal. gun tub that drops flush with the deck for easier casting and line management.

Thanks for the tip! ;)

Good fishing,
desmobob

Two great white sharks, swimming in the ocean, spied survivors of
a sinking ship.

"Follow me, son." the father shark said to the son shark and they
swam to the mass of people.

"First we swim around them a few times with just the tip of our
fins showing." And they did.

"Well done, son! Now we swim around them a few times with all of
our fins showing." And they did.

"Now we eat everybody." And they did.

When they were both gorged, the son asked, "Dad, why didn't we
just eat them all right away? Why did we swim around and around them?"

His wise father replied, "Because they taste better without the
sh** inside!"

flydoc
08-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Report today that someone walking the beach area halfway between Race Point Beach in P-Town and Head of Meadows Beach in Truro spotted and photographed a "large" whitey attacking a seal in shallow water.....apparently this took place just far enough from the lifeguard towers at the two tourist beaches that none of the lifeguards spotted the shark (or the beaches would have been immediately closed)....just waiting for the first report of a tourist getting taken out by one of these things.....just so long as it's a Yankees fan:devil:
Doc

P.S.- GO SOX!!!!

striblue
08-22-2010, 06:19 AM
Yes Jim, I agree. I am up in Syracuse right now..yankees hats everywhere and games on TV's at the bars and other places... I did wear my BC hat though....Where are the land sharks when you need them? (And no one say "Oh, you mean the lawyers?"...

juro
08-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Come on now, let's not get provincial. Great whites will eat Sox fans, Yankee fans, Orioles fans, Braves fans, Devil Ray fans and then come back after spring training :D

http://www.env.state.ma.us/eea/pr_images/2009_white_shark_map.jpg

Warren
08-27-2010, 05:55 AM
Juro, I hear they will eat lawyers too if ya put enough Tabasco sauce on 'em :wink:

FredA
08-27-2010, 06:50 AM
Juro, I hear they will eat lawyers too if ya put enough Tabasco sauce on 'em

Unfortunately, like seals, they just can't eat enough of them to do any good.:lildevl:

striblue
08-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Ok...now you have done it...I resemble that remark!...but I will blow it off because they don't eat lawyers.... it is a professional courtesy extended.:lildevl:

juro
08-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Lawyers are only bad when you're standing next to the WRONG one wishing you were standing next to the other :D