Whale Pass Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Whale Pass Report

Eric
07-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Got back a little while ago and wanted to file a report:

The fishing on Prince of Wales was superb. Can't wait to get back.

The silvers we caught were part of a very specialized hatchery operation explained here: http://www.ssraa.org/snow_pass_coho.htm

My friend Ted, the boat builder, is (or was) a total non-believer in flies as effective lures for these salmon. Nevertheless, he told me to bring lightly weighted, No. 4 or 6 Clousers in pink/white and green/white, as fly anglers he knew recommended them.

The typical situation was that fish would hit a Blue Fox spinner in Green/Gold finish (same ones we use here, although size 4 was preferred over size 5, and these are smallish fish) just as soon as they saw it, but became bored after a few casts. They were not bored by the Clousers, which they took with gusto on a very slow strip (took a long, frustrating time to figure that one out. I was literally the only one fly-fishing out of several dozen anglers at the Neck Lake outlet bay. I'd hook a fish every now and then on the strip-rate I normally use for silvers, but nothing consistent. Two days before I left, we were confronted with literally hundreds of fish milling around the boat --porpoising, finning, leaping and cavorting everywhere -- and they wouldn't hit nothin'. I tried a very slow strip with a pink Clouser as something different and had a solid hit after about four pulls. I hooked a fish on every cast after that, and since I was using barbless hooks, sometimes two on a cast when the initial fish broke free. Ted switched then to fly gear and immediately started hooking fish that had just before ignored his spinner. The fish stayed active for about two hours on the beginning of the flood. After that, things would quiet down until the next change.

I have never seen so many fish concentrated in one place. The limit is six fish per day and it was no trick to limit out, although we quit keeping fish after we had the eight I wanted to freeze and bring home.

Cheers,

Eric

juro
07-23-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm planning to get out to the PNW for silvers this year. Thanks for the report.

Eric
07-23-2010, 11:35 AM
All indications are it should be a banner year. We're looking for the first Silvers to enter Alsea Bay at the end of the first week in August. I wonder if the Juan de Fuca and Puget Sound fisheries are starting to heat up.

-- Eric

andre
08-01-2010, 12:26 AM
No yet a few here and there. I may give the beach a try in the afternoon tomorrow.

andre
08-03-2010, 11:06 AM
So I gave my beach a little go as I had some time, nothing. It's still early!