Monomoy Flats Clave [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Monomoy Flats Clave

juro
03-02-2000, 07:24 AM
> *Hint* Maybe Juro will show me some Cape flats. Monomoy
> comes to mind.

And don't forget Brewster!

Although it was a small group, I enjoyed the Monomoy Clave where some of us met last year. 6 of us worked the flats on a foggy morning and I had to leave at 10am; by then we all caught fish and others stayed.

I know the island fairly well, and have picked big shallow water fish up on crab flies where many others don't bother to fish due to rumor and reputation, but can hardly consider myself to be any sort of authority on Monomoy. Many of us have a working knowledge of the island and it's flats, and an island expedition always promises to be a great time.

I suggest we clave it twice - early / mid June, then again in September.

Who's in?

Roop
03-02-2000, 09:06 AM
I'm in.

How about hitting Monomoy in the AM and Brewster in the PM if the tides work out...

We need to get Ron, Mike & Tom. I have Ron's email, do you know where to find Tom & Mike?

Roop

juro
03-02-2000, 10:15 AM
Calling all Monomoy alumni... you guys out there?

I'll go dig if we don't hear...

jeffg
03-02-2000, 01:52 PM
I'm game. I logged a lot of time around there as a kid in a 13' whaler we kept in Stage harbor in the early 80's, but it may as well be a different country now with all the geological shifts that took place (not to mention biological--seals and albies??). However, my friend is buddies with an excellent guide who runs a flats boat down there--we had a great trip last year, and I'm schedualed for another one this year in early June, so I'll have the place fresh in my memory for a little return wading excursion.

Jeff Ganguly

doug
03-02-2000, 04:10 PM
I'd love to visit Monomoy for the first time....not to mention finally making a clave. I hope that I can make it...it all depends on the day.

grego
03-02-2000, 05:56 PM
I'm In. Will we do a week-day again to avoid crowds?
Also, do you really need a clear line to fish this spot?
If so, what do you guys recommend and how much $?

juro
03-02-2000, 06:28 PM
greg -

I do use a clear line, and no loops based on past experiences. There are spots I like to fish on the east side of Monomoy (no one else bothering, lots of fish) that will require the 325 grain QD, so bring it. If you don't have the clear line yet, I would recommend the 444 clear intermediate because it casts well and takes a nail knot. Many other brands do not take a nail knot (imagine that? http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif)

In the spring rush, when the fish are coming around the bend in waves it doesn't really matter if you ask me. You could catch fish with anything that puts the fly in their face.

In July and August, totally different story - I'd even dress to blend into the ambient colors then.

I really hope Ron comes, he fishes it more than I do and has some interesting perspective on what works and what doesn't, where to fish and where not to, etc.

I ended up on Rip Ryder with one of the Monomoy regulars one day. We were walking back together on the east shore toward the "tree" and I saw some shifty shadows. I stopped to cast, he said "don't bother, nothing there". I tied on a crab, second cast >THUNK< the shadows were all keeper sized bass.

Another day, the shuttle was making me wait (and wait and wait) so I started to fish the drop off as the tide swept over it. A clam digger worked the sand as I cast. The hole was loaded with stripers, nice size (but not K's). Keith started to head over so I reeled up, the clam dude said "never see anyone fishing there".

Moral I learned from it all: although the quintessential fishery on Monomoy is the skinny current sweeping over the common flats or (or guzzle or crib) there are plenty of fish in any logical station at any given time.

Oh yeah, answer: if you got the green, go for the clear 444. It's a great flats line.

Juro

JimW
03-02-2000, 09:35 PM
How do you get access to the island?

Day trip/overnight?

Does the Cortland 444 clear tip fit the bill or does this require a full clear line? I've been looking at purchasing a couple of new lines and the floater with the clear tip looks good. Is the Cortland lazer line any better than the 444?

juro
03-02-2000, 10:51 PM
Hi Jim -

> How do you get access to the island?

There are two well-known shuttles, Rip Ryder and Outermost Harbor Cruises. Rip (Keith) will do a 5am given 6 Ryders. otherwise, the trip starts at 8am. The leave from Monomoy Wildlife Refuge and Outermost Harbor, respectively.

> Day trip/overnight?

Day trips only.

> Does the Cortland 444 clear tip fit the bill or does
> this require a full clear line? I've been looking at
> purchasing a couple of new lines and the floater with
> the clear tip looks good.

I haven't gone to the tip because I have the full, but the stealth requirement doesn't really kick in until summer if you ask me.

From my experience with sinktips in the great northwest, I know that the more floating line you got the easier it is to lift and mend the line (if that's what you need to do).

Because I always strip to the last inch and often use the option of a deep sunk fly using a 10 count or even a 20 count before stripping, the intermediate full line in clear is a better all-around investment for me if I had to make a choice.

Dave Boucher loves his clear tip 444, I'm sure it's a great line!

> Is the Cortland lazer line any better than the 444?

The laser's the high-end finish for the Cortland lines. Because the last several lines I bought were Big Game series 444, I haven't used the Laser in SWFF applications but it makes a great freshwater line for trout so one would assume so.

If I had to outfit myself for the year for shore fishing, I would buy two lines (each on their own spool) - 444 clear intermediate and a 325 grain QD 444. The others are nice but there's nothing you can't tackle with these two setups... unless you hop on a boat and go mooch the rips or want to fish a popper slowly or...

http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif Juro

JohnM
03-03-2000, 10:00 AM
Juro and Gang:

Count me in.....I have had some tremendous luck at Monomoy in June and September. Even had shots at Fat Alberts in September but no hook-ups. I have already got a few trips booked for late May and can do some scouting for our group. Get those Angel Hair Clousers and Crab patterns ready !

John

mccaff
03-03-2000, 01:14 PM
I would definitely like to be at this clave. Count me in if anybody's counting. I think a weekday would be best as long as we can pick one soon.

-Jim McCaffrey

ssully
03-03-2000, 02:46 PM
IN.

Bob Pink
03-03-2000, 05:05 PM
I'm already planning options to learn more about the M-flats this summer so a clave sounds like a great place to start... In! Maybe we can locate a nice trough to run 'Double Happiness" into for the day?

tomd
03-04-2000, 09:57 PM
hope i can make it to the monamoy clave this year. bad timing last year... tom

brendan
03-08-2000, 04:05 PM
Juro,

Sign me up! I can also provide a boat.

marvin
03-08-2000, 07:29 PM
Juro,
I'm in too- as long as it's early in the month (before I get shipped out to Chicago for 2 weeks of mandatory training http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Sad.gif )

Marvin

i'm so outta here
03-08-2000, 09:14 PM
I'm in (tenatively). I'd prefer a weekend. Are we shooting for early June or early May?

Jay C.
03-09-2000, 08:25 AM
I'm game...

Jay C.

juro
03-12-2000, 11:34 PM
It has been brought to my attention that we could do something *different* on Monomoy this year. Instead of the usual North Island walkabout, we'll charter a boat for a really unique approach to this fishery. We will not have the limitations of fishing from boats because we'll be dropped off, and will be able to support lots of people. I'd suggest we coordinate the dates with arrival of squid in the rips. More details will follow.

Nathan Smith
03-13-2000, 01:41 PM
I would love to go. We should set a date early so we can leave it free.

juro
03-13-2000, 05:10 PM
I've had some real enlightening experiences with big squid coming inshore in the early season, as mentioned above. Big, fat fish before Father's Day. I would love to time our excursion to co-incide with this event. It's really not necessary to hit Monomoy to exploit this phenomena per se, it's just that we'd have a much better shot at big bass from the shore if we got lucky enough to have a run (or two or three) of big "linebackers" to the inside eddies of the rips in pursuit of squiddlies.

The game would involve large flies, poppers are good, big flies with brick red / pink white / even clear with red spots (to match chromatophores). Having a few large herring patterns and some .75" diameter ocean sand eels would be a must.

It could turn out to be another angle at the wave of anxious spring schoolies -or- the monsters from Chesapeake could appear from the depths of the boiling edges of the south tip rips.... just a meat-and-potatoes cast from shore. Who knows?

Third week in May is tough for me - birthdays, anniversaries and holidays all colliding at once. I get the feeling that's the week, for some reason (Murphy's Law). Given the choice, I'd err to the later weeks to increase the numbers of fish being around. It's looking like an early spring, I'd have to say weekend before Father's Day, June 10-11. This would cut my involvement down to Saturday afternoon and night, then all day Sunday.

How's that work out for everyone else?

JohnM
03-15-2000, 10:56 AM
Juro:

This weekend works well for me as I am on the Vineyard the next week after (20 thru 24) and this date will allow me to put a few days between trips and keep things cool on the homefront....:) !

John

doug
03-15-2000, 12:08 PM
Juro,
I'll try to keep that weekend open! Should NOT be a problem.
DB

ronl
03-15-2000, 01:29 PM
Juro- Looks like I can make it also. One question isn't that the weekend of the MV tournament? ron

JohnM
03-15-2000, 04:41 PM
I think the MV tournament is the 17th....

John

grego
03-15-2000, 08:51 PM
I'll Keep taht weekend open !

Tod D
03-15-2000, 09:18 PM
Juro - If I can talk my brother-in-law into joining me for a early hours drive down from Boston (shouldn't be hard), count me in on Sunday.

-Tod

Roop
03-16-2000, 07:24 AM
Juro,

I'll make that weekend work & I'll bring Pete.

Put me down for 2.

Roop

jeffg
03-16-2000, 08:35 AM
Allright,
you got me--I have a wedding in Phili that weekend (stupid life-long friends). I will have just been there the week before though on a flats boat and am happy to play scout for you folks and give a detailed report.

jeff Ganguly

Lefty
03-16-2000, 09:12 AM
I've been holding out cause my summer schedule is getting packed. The bride just sent me email and says she wants to go to the cape that weekend! So I might hook up for Sun morning, but will have to see if it solidifies. Will there be a boat accross Sunday am too? Yo Juro, at this rate you are going to have to call the steamship athority and borrow The Islander! Also, time to start a new thread as this one is humungous.

TerryW

BobD
03-16-2000, 09:21 AM
A little heads up, I was speaking with a customer yesterday at the shop. Who mentioned that he spoke with some chatham guides at the show. These guys were saying that the rangers are talking about changing the rules concerning access to the Monomoys. Like no access to the flats above the mean low tide mark. No poling on the flats. Cutting back or eliminating the seal tours. It seems that the increased usage as started to erode the dunes and an increase in the amount of trash. Not sure who we can check with about this, but it sure would s%&* if they took the fisherie away.

Bob D