Chatham Lighthouse [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham Lighthouse

striblue
07-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Having simply ignored this location except for once about one or two years ago, I was thinking of giving it a try this weekend since the tides seem just right and I wanted to see if there was anything>>>>I never see anyone fishing but have not gone at my usual hour at 5AM till 9. I remember doing this but then leaving earlier for the 8am shuttle....if anyone is interested let me know and we can meet up an give it a try.... I have heard of no reports or know of anyone fishing early or seeing anglers there driving by in the morning. There could be a big "maybe "especially with no one goes and have simply given up since last year.....so maybe we just don't know for sure until we try.

juro
07-01-2010, 11:47 AM
I've hit it several times this year mayor and it's been pretty good especially on the phase nearer the curfew (as late in the ebb as possible). If for no other reason it's very difficult to fish it effectively with high volume and high flow combined, whereas easier when flow and volume have subsided. I've had fair to excellent luck depending on the day.

There's a new bowl that is excellent, and a deep trough between the two tip bars before the hole on the south beach side. Big girl is always full of seals nowadays probably because it's a congestion point for fish and bait.

I might be able to break free one of the mornings over the weekend but one pink sluggo sighting and I am out of there! :lildevl:

striblue
07-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Ok ,thanks pal. Pete Gray might try with me and I have another guy whom I will meet. I expect to see you one way or another over the weekend and will be in Chatham all week.

flydoc
07-01-2010, 12:07 PM
John- make sure to bring wire in case the great white bite heats up:D

FredA
07-01-2010, 07:00 PM
I've been thinking about the light as a change up and maybe a change in karma. Haven't fished it in a couple of years. What day is the parade? I thought I read somewhere that it was Saturday rather than the 4th as usual. Got to clear outta town by 8 the day of the parade.

boatdrinks
07-02-2010, 09:30 AM
it's saturday at 9 or 10 I think.

FishHobby
07-02-2010, 02:06 PM
John,

I'll be around this weekend and all week as well. Wouldn't mind checking that out in the early hours with you one day during the week.

-Phil

Guernseybass
07-04-2010, 10:29 PM
I fish it John, it's now the only spot in Chatham that I still fish. I've fished it through mid July the last five years, and my read is the same as Juro's - fish the last two hours and first of the incoming at dawn.

I don't fish the big tides as a) the fish don't hang in the current so much, and b) if you are lucky the fishing fleet come in later while cleaning their catch :biggrin:

I Wade out into the channel bottom and just step and cast and have always had good fishing just swinging clousers over the holes. At dead low a popper or a gurgler will
bring up some fish too.

My favourites time is to fish it just after sunset and if it coincides with the return of the fleet as soon as it is dark it can really turn on. I have been spooled there and had some big bluefish - up to 12lb on the boga, so take wire.

Mark

boatdrinks
07-07-2010, 03:02 PM
I've been hearing a lot about the fishing east of the break so I would imagine there should be some fish in the break as well. I was going to try to fish there from shore this weekend but never made it.

Dble Haul
07-08-2010, 10:55 AM
So did anybody fish it this weekend? I'm curious.

FredA
07-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Mums the word. It must have been hot.

Adrian
07-09-2010, 07:58 AM

Yes, about 100F I would say :lildevl:

Dble Haul
07-09-2010, 08:41 AM

Just what I was thinking. :smokin:

striblue
07-10-2010, 09:38 PM
All I can say is that I am going back for sure...but this week the best days will be midweek into probably Saturday ...AT DAWN...The Right lows...then go home by 9am or maybe 10 on Saturday (need to watch for ticketing after 9) and have your fishing done for the day.

Jim Miller
07-12-2010, 07:52 AM
As posted, Todd and I will be looking to fish next Monday morning (19th).
Anyone going to be around? If so it would be great to catch up! If not pls. send a PM of where all the big (and numerous) fish are hanging out. :razz: :Eyecrazy:

Seriously...fish or even meet for supper in Chatham. Will be in town Fri night thu Monday noon. (out in boat Sat. & Sun days)

striblue
07-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Jim, I am pretty sure of being around on the 19th.

Jim Miller
07-13-2010, 07:47 AM
John....I still have your cell # from last year. I try to reach you Sunday eve.
be good to catch up!

striblue
07-13-2010, 09:38 AM
OK....The news media is killing me:chuckle: ... this morning they put up on TV a big "SHARK ALERT".... and interviewed John Mulhander who is a friend and was just sitting there and lives down the street..... then Stuart Smith the Harbor master..... another sighting near the seals off the point..... OH NO! Now the light house parking lot is full and John just said that the store owners are loving it...but I saw the smirk on his face...since we all know they have been there for years... and the seal population seems as large, to me, as it has for years...just moving to the point instead of along the west side of south beach...But "SHARK ALERT">>>>"SHARK ALERT".....Beware. Smith had a smirk also on his face also... The commentators on NECN are hysterically funny with their comments.... all wide eyes and continuing to scare the bejesus out of everyone... so WE need to get there at Dawn to park and avoid the tourists with the binocs..... like they are going to see one....:whoa: :roll:

Paxton
07-13-2010, 10:18 AM
What news!!!! There are actually sharks in the ocean? Bum-bum....bum-bum...bum-bum. PTSD returning from seeing the movie Jaws. Where's Quint when you need him? John...let me know when there are 30 row boats out there to catch the sharks....that's when I want to get there early with my binocs :hihi:
Go sharks go....those big bad seals are eating our beloved strippers.
Ron

9wt
07-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Go sharks go....those big bad seals are eating our beloved strippers.
Ron[/QUOTE]

I thought it was the sharks that ate the strippers (skinny-dippers)??

striblue
07-13-2010, 11:15 AM
I memorized some great lines in "PATTON"....let's see how close I am with this other one from "JAWS".
" All know me, I'll catch this bird for you.... but it aint gunna be easy,....not like going down the pond after blue gills or tommy cods....big fish....swallow you whole... a little sinking,a little tenderizing and down you go....but I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, Chief.. I'll find him for three but catch and kill him for 10...ten thousand dollars, and for that, you get the head the tail the whole damn thing... Now you got to make up your minds...There are two many captains on this island...ten thousand for me alone, that will bring your businesses back on a paying basis...otherwise you"ll be on welfair all winter. "

"thank you Mr. Quint..we...we ...will take it under advisement"

" Mayor, Chief...ladies and gentlemen.....:wink:

I may have some of line sequence wrong...but close enough...This is what I will say if the press ever stops me at the lighthouse

Paxton
07-13-2010, 11:49 AM
John....that was a great quote/line...brings back great memories. makes me wonder if Chief Brody (Capt. Keith) will now have "shark tours". Given that he now has 2 vessels...the little one could tow a seal, the larger one carry the tourists. If he does it, I want 10% for the idea. Hope the "dark side" marina isn't reading this post :chuckle: It would take "trolling" to an all new level!!!

Sadly, yet seriously....I'm sure it won't be long before some nut bag will have to show off his machoness and swim out to play with the sharks at the Lighthouse.
Let survival of the fittest and the natural selection process prevail.

Any suggestions for tying a "seal fly"??? Do they make 30wt rods to throw it?
"I think we need a bigger boat"

Paxton
07-13-2010, 11:53 AM
PS to 9wt....at my age it is very difficult to determine the difference between "stripers" and "strippers" :chuckle:

Ron

Redfisher
07-13-2010, 12:14 PM
PS to 9wt....at my age it is very difficult to determine the difference between "stripers" and "strippers" :chuckle:

Ron

Nobody's that old!!!!

Dan

Adrian
07-13-2010, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=Paxton] Given that he now has 2 vessels...the little one could tow a seal, the larger one carry the tourists. If he does it, I want 10% for the idea. Hope the "dark side" marina isn't reading this post :chuckle: It would take "trolling" to an all new level!!!
QUOTE]

I got a better idea. Troll a tourist from the small boat and load the big one up with seals. Then when the shark grabs the tourist, throw the seals in ... :lildevl:

striblue
07-13-2010, 05:52 PM
NewsCaster interviewing Stu Smith:
"We have not had a shark attatck around here since 19 (something). What would advise under this situation?"

Smith
"Well. Ahh...I would say to be aware of your surroundings and don't swim WITH ( I highlight that word) the seals."

You have got to admit it...that is PRICELESS!

striblue
07-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Too Bad! That was an NECN Quote this morning. Smith changed the statement on C.7 at 6 tonite by using the word "near" instead of "with".
I liked the first one better.

desmobob
07-13-2010, 09:14 PM
I couldn't help myself... I just bought a big shark mouth vinyl graphic set to put on the bow of my kayak. And I named her "Shark Bait." A buddy cut the vinyl for that in a font that looks like it has blood dripping from it. Photos to follow when the shark mouth graphics arrive and are in place.

Fun stuff, this shark business.

Unless one of us gets gnawed on, of course. :p

Good fishing,
desmobob

9wt
07-15-2010, 03:22 PM

Ron

There's gotta be a Peterson Field Guide that would help with that!

Michael.

bonefishmon
07-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Nobody's that old!!!!

Dan

A good stripper blitz on South Beach can sometimes cause halucinations! I wouldn't mind seeing strippers on South Beach regardless of my age. LOL! Ron. Please bring your camera and share next time.

Phil

flydoc
07-16-2010, 01:48 PM
A good stripper blitz on South Beach can sometimes cause halucinations!

Particularly after you've downed a few rounds at The Squire....then a blitz of ANY group of strippers starts to look good....just ask Stevo!:Eyecrazy:

Flydoc