locked up rod ferrules [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: locked up rod ferrules

seuss
06-27-2010, 02:19 PM
any magic tips for unsticking a rod ferrule? i've tried soaking in water, wd40, and pulling every which way.

no luck...ugh

and the ferrules were freshly waxed prior to last assembly. never had an issue prior.

juro
06-27-2010, 02:39 PM
I've had many stuck ferrules come free by applying ice or very cold water. Often just holding the ferrule under a cold running stream has done the trick. Also those thin kitchen rubber pads for opening jars are useful non-marring grips.

desmobob
06-27-2010, 03:11 PM
any magic tips for unsticking a rod ferrule? i've tried soaking in water, wd40, and pulling every which way.

no luck...ugh

and the ferrules were freshly waxed prior to last assembly. never had an issue prior.

I use the "hold it behind the knees, force the legs apart" method for stuck ferrules. And there's the the "two-man, each with one hand on each side fo the ferrule" push-pull technique....

Best of luck to you!

desmobob

vtloon
06-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Wrap with a bag of ice cubes; leave ice on for 5 - 10 min, then pull apart. This has always worked for me.

nmbrowncom
06-27-2010, 09:54 PM
i had the same problem 2 years ago. nothing worked. sent it back to the manufacturer and they couldn't get them apart. they sent me a new rod.

FishHawk
06-29-2010, 05:04 AM
I used the two man approach with success . When pulling apart , twist and pull.
As a reminder, always apply paraffin wax to your ferrules to prevent this from happening again. Hope this helps. FishHawk

BigDave
06-29-2010, 08:03 AM
try the 2-man operation - each one armed with one of those rubber grippy things used to open pickle jars...

JR SPEY
06-29-2010, 10:16 AM
I used the two man approach with success . When pulling apart , twist and pull.
As a reminder, always apply paraffin wax to your ferrules to prevent this from happening again. Hope this helps. FishHawk

He said his ferrules were freshly waxed right prior to assembly. Of course, there's wax and then there's WAX. I like to use something with as much paraffin as possible.

Smcdermott
06-30-2010, 09:03 PM
If you don't have a rubber jar opener plain old yellow kitchen gloves provide good grip as well. Also agree with icing them down first. I just run a cube around the base of the female end.