Monomoy "shootout" tournament [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Monomoy "shootout" tournament

juro
06-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Not sure how I feel about this...

http://www.themonomoyshootout.com/

Any catch and KILL tournament seems a little unnecessary to me but there are plenty of bass around and it is within the bounds of the law. I think having thousands of dollars in prizes will motivate a larger number of fish to be killed but then again people will kill their legal catch for other reasons too.

Thoughts?

jimS
06-22-2010, 11:05 AM
I have a personal dslike for fishing tournaments that are not catch-and-release; however, last year's donation of bass filets to the Chatham Food Pantry ostensibly from the tournament certainly makes it more palatable.

boatdrinks
06-22-2010, 11:57 AM
While I doubt this tournament will have much of an impact of the fish stocks, in general I am not in favor of anything that encourages people to keep fish. Just seems unnecessary for a tournament.

polareyez
06-22-2010, 12:43 PM
What's to prevent culling a dead fish for a larger one? Why can't it be catch and release?

boatdrinks
06-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah I don't know why it can't be c&r, it makes it a little more complicated but it's definitely worth it

FishHawk
06-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Don't like this and I have a great dislike for fish counters and competitive fishing.
Run and gun fishing and fishing for money is not for me. The excuse is to donate the fish to the food pantry to make the tournament more acceptable .
FishHawk

JonC
06-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Competition is an anathema to the spirit of our sport, I know it's fun, but it teaches the wrong message, sorry.
Jon

Penguin
06-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Kill Tournaments SUCK!!!!!!!!

highway61
06-22-2010, 05:06 PM
What Penguin said!!!

BigDave
06-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Fishing for money = lame.

jimS
06-22-2010, 06:53 PM
So we agree that a C&R tournamnt is passe' and not the de jeure thing today. Okay, so does a flyfishing forum have any clout on this archaic man vs. fish endeavor? I guess the answer is that we voice our opinion and convey it to the tournament organizers. It seems strange that we have the enlightened Bass Pro Circuit that has a weight-in and then releases all fish, and we have in our back yard a catch and hold tournament. I'm not a greenie because I keep a couple of fish a year, but I really get upset when they are kept for the hero shot, frozen and discarded the following year.

PopnesetBay
06-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Tournament fishing is little more than a lame excuse for ego satisfaction. I am smarter, better and maybe luckier than everyone else and I should be regarded as the best of the best. Bullsnot!!!!! It prostitutes the art of fishing and promotes the act of catching.
Obviously I have some strong feelings about tournament fishing and particularly the participants thereof but because of the genteel nature of this site I have severely edited my response. Let the sponsors know of our intent to boycott their products.

Time to take a 'slug' of Bromo to get the taste of 'bile' out of my throat!

Pete Readel
PopnesetBay

striblue
06-22-2010, 09:02 PM
This is the first time I heard about it although I see this is the second year... Take a look at the sponsors...and we have a "yacht" club as a weigh in...It is interesting that there are so few boats and I really did not recognize any of the boat Captains. Knowing so many in Chatham it is interesting that many do not participate. I dislike tournaments anyway....next thing you will see official uniforms with the sponsors name on them.....I am somewhat wary of events that boast of Charity donations....like the Palm Beach society season with lavish parties that claim they are done for charities... they are done for people to feel like they belong...atleast there. I thought that Chatham had escaped the fishing tournament mentality and now I see that I was wrong. Each to their own I suppose.

PopnesetBay
06-23-2010, 08:50 AM
I have contacted the listed sponsors , via email, and expressed my displeasure with their sponsorship. Also stated that I would not avail myself of their services/product and would be very quick to advise others to do the same. Probably will have no effect but I feel better having done so.

Pete Readel

Penguin
06-23-2010, 10:21 AM
'sent to the sponsors...

Regarding your "sponsorship"...
The concept of a Monomoy Shootout is absolutely reprehensible and uncalled for...
Bass Master's here we come...
Kill Tournaments bring everything that is WRONG and killing fish for ego [and cash] is deplorable...
I will actively avoid shopping at your facility and won't hesitate to share my feelings...
Regrets
PeterGray
Yarmouth

Gseries69
06-23-2010, 12:30 PM
It sounds like a great cause. Ignorance I'm sure, is behind the catch and kill idea of the competition. I'm not a fan of competitive fishing unless it's for a good cause like this but it should be C&R. Goose Hummuck should be educating the other sponsors and the administrators of the event on conservation efforts.

striblue
06-23-2010, 02:50 PM
After reading Pete and Pete's post I feel better and can now claim that I am not the only "wild" man on the forum.;)

Penguin
06-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Two good reasons why you should never try to teach a pig to sing...
First... It wastes your time and...
Second... It annoys the pig...

boatdrinks
06-24-2010, 08:31 AM
There's also no fly fishing division in it so I'd already be at a disadvantage going into it even though I would not participate. The only part that sounded appealing to me was the free Narragansett. Yes I admit to loving a cold Gansett and that $350 could buy a lot more of it than they're giving away

Warren
06-26-2010, 04:49 AM
I see the Chatham Squire is on the list of sponsors, Now what? find a new watering hole:confused:

rooster
06-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Boycott the sponsors and let them know how you feel.
Rooster:mad:

Penguin
06-26-2010, 07:20 PM
'sent to the sponsors...

Regarding your "sponsorship"...
The concept of a Monomoy Shootout is absolutely reprehensible and uncalled for...
Bass Master's here we come...
Tournaments bring everything that is WRONG and killing fish for ego is deplorable...
I will actively avoid shopping at your facility and won't hesitate to share my feelings...
Regrets
PeterGray
Yarmouth

With that in mind...
Here's the reply that I received from the kind, voice of reason, 'been in business since the 40's, 'wired a bit tight, "sponsor"...

"Pete- I received your email forwarded to me from my office! I will
say that your way off base and should educate yourself before you
write and that you should you decide not to hide behind your
keyboard and make threats I will make myself available for a face
to
face so you can pitch your case! I am not worried about your
threats
in any way at all and being in business and supporting tournaments
since 1946 we are ok with your stupid threats!
This isn't our tournament ,but yes we support it! And if you feel
as
strongly as you do I will ask where do you shop? The reason I ask
is
every tackle shop on cape and nationally in one way or another has
supported a tournament! So do you shop at a chain store? Who
actually use your dollars to support peta and other organizations
who lobby to shut down certain fisheries!
Again all of this falls into your emotional rally to stop
tournaments!
In closing be really careful who you threaten and I here that your
bashing my store I will be happy to go after you in court for
liable
and use your email threat as my evidence!
If you were a true fisherman and sportsman you wouldn't attack
another your simply a man with nothing to do but but send stupidity
via email!"

So... There ya' go... That went well... a very "reasonable" reply... [in subsequent exchanges, the unfortunate bullying continued]...
I am now hiding in my basement and I will soon smash my computer and go off the grid...
'right after I readjust the perimeter intrusion proximity sensors and depart for Nepal to find myself...

vtloon
06-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Pete, unfortunate angst. I would guess the early Christians had similar success explaining Christianity to the Lions.

JonC
06-27-2010, 07:33 AM
Pigs become petulant when annoyed.
Jon

desmobob
06-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Interesting that the sponsor interpreted your message as being hostile... he mentioned "threat" four times, as well as "bashing" and "attacking."
I sure didn't read it that way.... Did your original message include some scary emoticons/smileys that we aren't seeing in the quoted version?

Stop being such a bully, Pete! :tsk_tsk:

Tournaments suck; e-mails to sponsors will be sent,
desmobob

Adrian
06-28-2010, 07:39 AM
I didn't know you could be sued for "liable"?:Eyecrazy:

Cole
06-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Wow crazy response. I was on the fence about sending a short note to the sponsors, but now I'm convinced...Firing off emails now.

boatdrinks
06-28-2010, 08:16 AM
That was some serious redneck nonsense right there. Suing you for boycotting? That seems a little tough to accomplish. It's hard to believe someone would be stupid enough to send an email like that, he's gotta know it's going to end up on the internet and ultimately hurt him.

Penguin
06-28-2010, 09:15 AM
"Would you mind if I shared your email on the forum where I read
about
the tournament to begin with...?
I think that they would find it very interesting...
Standing by..."

and he kindly returned my inquiry...

"You again are a man that hides behind a keyboard!! I guess the
question becomes is he slandering or not?? Are you ??"

flydoc
06-28-2010, 12:18 PM
The sponsor who replied to Pete needs to either talk to a lawyer (or at least consult a dictionary) before he levels such accusations at ANY individual......I believe John would concur (and correct me if I'm wrong)....SLANDER is when someone VERBALLY tells something FALSE about another individual/group/company/organization for the purpose of doing them harm, while LIBEL is doing the same thing, but IN PRINT. First off, Pete was merely expressing his OPINION about the tournament, and advising the sponsor that he was going to refrain from doing business with that sponsor as long as the sponsor was involved with the tournament. The sponsor's involvement is a FACT, not a falsehood. Merely letting other people know about the sponsor's involvement (which the tournament's website does itself), and letting others decide whether to spend their money at the sponsor's establishment, is neither slander nor libel. While I also disagree with the principle of a catch and kill tournament, it is still legal at this time, and the sponsor would have been far better served to merely point that out and reply to Pete's e-mail in a "agree to disagree" style of response. Fishing and hunting are under attack from a number of quarters, so in some ways I can understand a knee-jerk-defensive-reflex-first response from the sponsor, but that should NOT be the response they type/send back; the response they send back should be measured, and full of facts/well thought out comments supporting their side of the issue. Thrashing back in an angry,defensive, and threatening manner isn't going to win the sponsor any brownie points with anybody....it just demonstrates a lack of self control.
Flydoc

Penguin
06-28-2010, 01:18 PM
"You failed to answer my question and failed to identify yourself..."

"No peter I answered you!! What I want you to ask yourself is after I
made a threat to discredit someones store whom is simply a sponsor
in a tournament do I really want to follow through on that threat! I
don't take your threat lightly!
When you are prepared to come out from behind your keyboard and
speak I am always available!"
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

"So... micmac1...
You continue to remain anonymous while you make unfounded veiled
threats...
Interesting...
One can only imagine that you have a lot of experience being an
evasive bully...
Obviously, there is NO implied privacy for the threatening emails that
you have sent... your verbal barrage should make interesting reading
for those following the thread...
It would be so much more meaningful if you would identify yourself and
your store..."

"Ok!! And again you hide behind a keyboard! Speaks a lot about your
character!! In person anytime you wish ! Would love to hear your
views!
Gambling? I will forward these threads! And you should get
clarification on your first email that was a threat !
Peter I am prepared to discuss in person anything you wish! This
store does not get involved in any internet forums and never have!
We support local peoples tournaments and always have! They do a
great job with catch and release and conservation as well as raising
money for local charities!
Good sportsman! What are you for attacking them and the people who
donate there time and money to help? Certainly not a good sportsman!
You do what you feel is necessary and so will we ! Your threats are
un warranted and un appreciated! If you have something to say come
say it don't type it!"

"And STILL, you fail to identify yourself and continue to hide behind
your blackberry...
Three simple words... CATCH AND RELEASE!
If that's the case, then say so and this exercise is done...
otherwise, not so much..."

"I have been in this business a long time and I get it peter! Ask around the entire store gets it! We promote it every day! RELEASE FOR THE FUTURE but there are causes worth supporting isn't there?
You attacked us without really knowing our position or the facts and that wasn't right!
Would love to chat in person and when you come down I will introduce myself! Here almost everday!!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry"

Well... You get the idea...
Last year some 40 lbs of striped fillets were donated to the Chatham Food Pantry... Good cause Admirable jesture!
But... I can't help but wonder how many fish have been and will be taken and then culled for a larger entry...
When you offer cash prizes, some "sportsmen" will smell the money and will be tempted to do whatever gets them into the running...
NOT ALL, but some [one is too many]...
While culling is bad, I've heard of large bass being caught on live bait and penned for days before an event...
Then collected during the contest for entry...
Money in the mix inevitably brings out unsportsmanlike behavior...
Catch 'n Release... not perfect, but a step in the right direction...
'Give cash instead of precious fillets to the pantry so they can provide a less controversial offering and provide a more viable substitute...
Win Win...

Perhaps the Right Honourable Denny Crain will chime in... or better, the Mayor of Chatham...
inthemeantime...
IMHO...
'like I mentioned earlier...
NEVER try to teach a pig to sing...
It wastes your time and obviously annoys the pig!...
and...
KILL Tournaments SUCK!

JonC
06-28-2010, 02:08 PM
You can't argue with an idiot, he's not liable to understand.
Jon

striblue
06-29-2010, 12:57 PM
As I mentioned to Pete by phone.... Flydoc is right on. There is no issue of liable and slander here and those terms are misconstrued and not understood. nevertheless, despite the "flavour" of these string of emails the individual in the last email has extended and "olive branch". An offer to talk and perhaps feels that his anger needs to be reexamined...it appears to me. So, I so stated to Pete, and perhaps a more full understanding between both parties of their positions "could" be hashed out under more amicable situation. Just MHO.