South Monomoy tides [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: South Monomoy tides

Gseries69
06-07-2010, 09:44 AM
I have heard a few times about guys talking about good tides for the Rip Trips. I was wondering if some one could explain what constitutes a good tide for that spot? Bigger highs, lower tides, etc?

Also wondering if anyone is around to fish during the week, either Thurs or Fri or Mon or Tues between the 10th and 15th, and would be interested in heading over on the 6 passenger boat with 3 or 4 Vermonters who will be down during those dates?

Dave17
06-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Big minus tides really get the rip crankin' and fuel activity out there

Redfisher
06-07-2010, 04:56 PM
The periods of slack and maximum current for the rips do not correspond to high and low tides for Monomoy Point. As Dave17 pointed the bigger the tide range the faster the rip currents run. See this earlier thread Rip Tide Charts dated 5/20 2010 for more info. (I could not post the link.)
Dan

wolfridge
06-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Hi Gseries69, I'll be on the Cape June 14 & 15 (also through to June 27) - I'm also a fellow VTer and although I've fished Chatham often, I have not done a Rip Trip before. I would not mine joining you. I you can pm me if you like.

Tajue17
06-11-2010, 01:27 PM
a couple of us are going on sunday the 13th not sure how "good" the tide is we are just going for the day :biggrin:

Gseries69
06-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Big thanks to John Morin for helping us put together a succesful rip trip which I have learned is not the easiest task. We did not have a great tide but John knew exactly how to work the tide we had to the best of our advantage. For me it's not always the catching but more so the learning that I enjoy and John had a lot of knowledge to give. I look forward to learning more. Also met Steve (highway61) and hope to fish with him again in the future. Gorgeous place, great day, a few good fish, and of course...outstanding libations at the Squire to top it off. Thanks again John and hope to fish again with you soon.

striblue
06-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks Joe. The tides were and are key. It was great to be able to set up a 6 man crew on such short notice but we had to live with the tides. We also left about an hour later and arrived at the rip at low tide which was initially good siince we were catching fish right off the bat with my biggest of the year at 35 inchs. ALL the fish that were caught were good mid to high 20's. The we had incoming all day to around 2. Thois put optimum fishing ( the last three hours of low) at a time after our leaving at 5. So dispite no one getting skunked and the occassional fish being caught after the productive early morning the day was great with everyone catching 5 to 10 fish each. Not a usual rip trip but not bad for fishing during the least productive conditions. But we go when we can. I ended up woth 7 good fish and Art I think caught more than he did on. The last trip. We need to try for optimum tides. One more problem was seen...mug showed up on the early outgoing ...from 2 till we left...but old vets of the trip also know that the mug washes away during the faster last three hours of the outgoing.

striblue
06-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Sorry about the typos...can not seem to edit my post using my browser on my blackberry. It is not giving me the whole post...odd.

JimD
06-13-2010, 07:36 PM
John, I ditto Joe's remarks. It was a GREAT day for me: super scenery, great company, learned a lot and caught fish:).

Thanks for pulling it together for us. (I posted a few pictures at: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/12531721_Z3T6t#898853363_AE3oe. (I recommend you use "slide show" to view and don't move the mouse.)

Jim

Tajue17
06-14-2010, 06:51 AM
a couple of us are going on sunday the 13th not sure how "good" the tide is we are just going for the day :biggrin:

held off due to suspected thunder:frown:

boatdrinks
06-14-2010, 08:50 AM
looks awesome guys, I can't wait to get out there!

highway61
06-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Just wanted to add my appreciation to John for organizing the 6 man trip. Although I caught only 5, it is SM itself and the great group of guys that make this trip special. It was a pleasure to fish with the Vermont contingent - Joe, Art, JimD and Barry. I enjoyed watching them use the 2 handers. Thanks guys, now I have to explain to my wife that I need to spend more money on another rod! Btw, every time I turned around I saw Art doing combat with another fish. Finally, I had to ask what fly he was using and I am sorry to report that Art was using the infamous and highly illegal pink sluggo fly!!! A good time was had by all....Hopefully I can get on another trip in June.

Steve