Ideas for the Chesapeake [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Ideas for the Chesapeake

05-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Heading to Maryland next week to hit the big bay and chase some Stripers on the fly. Any advice for fly's besides Clousers, Deceivers, and some top water plugs?

05-20-2010, 06:39 PM
I haven't fished the bay in many years, and when I did it was before I started flyfishing, but one technique that worked great for me was to cast beyond a bridge piling, let my jig sink down, and then retrieve it as fast as I could. Everything I read about stripers at the time said "deep and slow", but for me, ripping the jig past the pilings produced a hit nearly every time. I was using bucktail jigs, but I'm sure it would work with a clouser and fast-sinking fly line also. One thing you'll have to be careful about is scraping and/or tangling your fly line on the piling -- fly lines are a bit more costly to replace than mono!

Hope this helps! Good luck, and please let us know how you do. We don't get many reports from that area.

05-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I will let you know. Went last year but a week earlier than this year. They opened up the gates on the Susquehanna because of all the rain in Pa the week before I got there. The water was very cloudy but I still managed 2 nice Stripers. 15.7 lbs and 11 lbs. Both on my 10 weight.
Not a problem this year with the water. They have had a normal spring so it should be pretty good.