Like Old times... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Like Old times...

Rip Ryder
05-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Anchored up at the South Beach drop off today waiting on a pick up, and decided to take a few casts. Tide had just started dropping. Cast north along the drop and low and behold, I stirred up 3 30in.+ fish all swimming hard for my plug only problem I ran out of line at the boat. Got all set for another cast down the beach, and I think my jaw dropped a little bit. I see a pod of 10-12 fish swimming south down the beach in 3-4 feet of water right off the beach. :Eyecrazy: What a flash back to the good old days.
I did see a group of guys fishing the flat to the north across from the refuge. They stayed put most of the day, so fish must be moving up and down the beach out of the tub again.

Matt at the refuge has been telling me of good numbers of fish in the crib area, and he has seen a few pods of good size fish. Somewhere from the west we seem to be getting some better water coming over that area.

And on the "Fringe" side of things, Capt. Tom has been telling me of guys coming into Red Top weighing their Stripers, and then reporting back finding smaller Stripers in the fish bellies during cleaning. Cannibalism on the Canal!!

Should have more to report after this weekend.

Sorry Paxton, if this keeps you up all night.

Paxton
05-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Keith, I'd write more but I am too tired. Going to CVS to get some Tylenol PM.

juro
05-14-2010, 06:52 AM
Come on weekend!!!!!

titleguy
05-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Juro- We should splash the War Canoe about 15:00 tomorrow. See you out there, or at the Squire.:hihi:

PEC54
05-14-2010, 10:06 AM
The area around Momomoy ,South Beach and Stage Harbor are just like the canal, there are no fish,keep moving there's nothing to see here! All the fish are in Ptown.:hihi:

juro
05-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Numerous reports of the south side lighting up this week. :smokin:

polareyez
05-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Not sure I've met PEC54 but I agree, nothing to see here, keep moving to Rhody or Ptown...:chuckle:

flyflicker
05-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Keith,

Keep a seat dry for me on the Striper Express.

Bill

Paxton
05-17-2010, 08:09 PM
FYI...fished NM today and also spoke with a gent that has fished SB every day for the last 2 weeks...fish are there but not on the flats, only edges of drops and channels
Saw about 70 fish in pods of 6 to 20.....no skill required...get it close and strip once anyway you want, with a clouser of any color or size......OK...the secret is out :smokin:
Ron