BIG BROTHER DAY 2010 - June 19th? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: BIG BROTHER DAY 2010 - June 19th?

juro
05-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Molly has suggested June 19th this year. Keep in mind Father's Day is the 20th (Sunday).

We need volunteers to take the kids fishing, they don't have a Father's Day per se so I am sure this will be good timing to take their mind off of that.

We'll meet at the refuge and take the kids fishing on Morris Island. There will be a shore lunch and wiffle ball game as well. It will be fun and your costs are tax deductible.

Please RSVP to confirm that you'll be keeping this tradition going strong in 2010.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/bigbrothers/brothers.jpg

woodtac
05-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Sign me up! I will be there---enjoyed it a lot last year.

Adrian
05-07-2010, 06:13 AM
I am there.

juro
05-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Molly at Big Brothers has made the announcement.

* WE REALLY NEED VOLUNTEERS *

Hope you can pitch in thanks!

jimS
05-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Juro, great cause and I've done a bunch, but have to defer this year for my son, Brad's wedding on the same day. For those on the fence, you won't regret participating once you see the true enjoyment the kids have in this activity.

juro
05-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks Jim and congrats to Brad!!

This date will approach quickly - still in need of volunteers!

vtloon
05-18-2010, 12:40 PM
I hope to come; I'm trying to find a stand-in for an event here that weekend.

Dave17
05-19-2010, 08:51 AM
I have tentative plans to be on the cape from the 12th-19th.... If they work out I will definitely help out. Sorry to be so wishy washy but it's hard to plan while interviewing.

juro
05-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Put it on the resume:

Unselfishly volunteers to teach the art of flyfishing and appreciation of the outdoors to youths missing a traditional family structure on Father's Day on the National Wildlife Refuge.

seuss
05-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Look forward to it.

flydoc
05-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Checked the schedule and I am FREE to participate. Hopefully I can get the sand out of the action of my cheap surf casting reel that I brought to the last one I attended- as much time as we spend trying to teach the kids how to fly cast, we might also want to spend a few seconds reminding them NOT to put the reels (spinning or fly) down on the sand:roll:
Flydoc

juro
05-25-2010, 06:17 AM
Great looking crew shaping up for this event! The kids will be elated but we can still may need more. I'll find out this week.

I'll also take the following actions -

1) follow up with Molly Dinsmore at BB for their headcount
2) stop in at Monomoy to introduce myself to the new mgmt (Mike Brady is now in AK)
3) pick up the usual gummy fish and prize packs

Mentors are invited to my place for Chatham-style barbeque dinner after the event.

Warren
06-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Juro, I have checked up my calender & asked the boss, I need her car:hihi:

I am in

Quentin
06-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm IN! I missed the last one or two, so I'm really looking forward to being there this year!

Q

juro
06-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Great to hear we have a good showing this year! I will talk to Molly over at BB/BS Greater Boston today and give her the good news :biggrin:

Quentin
06-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Juro,

Do you know when the fishing part of the event is supposed to start? Just wondering what time I need to be at the refuge. I know they have done the nature walk first sometimes.

Q

tomd
06-14-2010, 01:07 AM
I just now got the green light on this... thought my wife might have been out of town. do you still need people?

Tom D

vtloon
06-14-2010, 08:55 PM
I still haven't been able to get a stand-in, so I may not be able to make it.

woodtac
06-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Still planning to be there.

juro
06-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Hey sorry guys - been in corporate for meetings and don't get up for air much this week. I will talk to Molly over at BB to see where things stand.

Post later, thanks and looking forward to this weekend! Fishing has been very good!

juro
06-16-2010, 06:33 AM
Molly reports 11 pairs (22 needing assistance). If we don't get 11 mentors we can double up as we have in the past. I'll take a final headcount later this evening so please update your RSVP's.

Weather is looking good, fishing has been good as well although migration is still on so they are moving.

Location will be the Monomoy Refuge, fishing will be in the afternoon after lunch on the beach during the incoming at the same location as last year - the bluffs at Morris right of the stairs.

More info to come.

rooster
06-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Sorry guys,
I have the same excuse that Jim Simms has this year! My youngest, Jeff, gets married this weekend also! At least Jim and I can remind each other of Brad and Jeff's Anniversarys!:biggrin:
Good luck,
Dennis

Warren
06-16-2010, 05:41 PM
I have to bail on you guys, A dear friend has lost his battle with cancer & I will be in Kansas city at his funeral.

Juro sorry for such short notice

flydoc
06-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Juro- I'm still in. I picked up an extra spin cast rod at Goose Hummock today, so should have two spin cast and two fly rods on hand.

Warren- Sorry to hear about your friend in KC. Safe travel, buddy. Hope to see you again soon for some happier times and a few brews.

Flydoc

Quentin
06-16-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm still in. I'll be at Morris Island sometime in the morning and will fish up until showtime. Should be a great day for it!

I wasn't there last year, so when you say the bluffs to the right of the stairs, how far to the right are we talking? By the mansions before the first corner? Or down near the entrance to Stage Harbor?

Q

Warren
06-17-2010, 05:36 AM
Warren- Sorry to hear about your friend in KC. Safe travel, buddy. Hope to see you again soon for some happier times and a few brews.

Flydoc

Thanks Doc,

When I get back I'll take ya up on that offer:D

juro
06-17-2010, 09:44 AM
The rendezvous point for those who want to meet on locale will be the bluff area between the stage inlet and the cove. In other words, on the straightaway near the inlet but not at the inlet itself.

Once the morning plan for the kids is firm, I will post more info on possible morning activities.

juro
06-17-2010, 04:36 PM
From Molly Dinsmore June 17 at 4:05pm

At this point we have 12 matches signed up (24 people!).
So, for the schedule:

8:30 am: we meet Bigs and then caravan to park near Monomoy.

9:15-10:15: we do a nature walk/scavenger hunt

10:15-10:45: time for people to use the bathroom, we get lunch stuff, and meet you guys!

10:45 begin walk to area where we will be fishing!

--lunch, fish, games--

3/3:30 begin walking back to parking area.

Award ceremony?

ETD is 4 pm

Of course if you are going to meet the group there, please let me know so I won't be looking for you at the parking lot.

tomd
06-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Juro, I'll be bringing my daughter Ally along, she most likely won't be helping so I'll be happy to pay her fare and for food.

Tom D

juro
06-18-2010, 04:52 AM
Current Roster puts us each watching two pairs. This is really no problem, but be extra careful to have the Big Brother (or Sister) mind the safety element of this event. We can easily mind the fishing element for two pairs.

woodtac
adrian
seuss
flydoc
quentin
tomd and Ally
juro

I have a fly rod, line basket and two spin rods to bring with the usual sluggos which should be more than adequate for getting two pairs fishing after lunch and before the inevitable wiffle ball championship game.

Top water has been very effective on the blues that are in the area too.

*** if there are any exceptions to the above please update now ***

striblue
06-18-2010, 09:53 AM
I wish I could make this but have a family commitement and will not be down until tomorrow morning. Someday in the future, years from now, I will hopefully be fishing at the same location and bunp into a solitary flycaster and we will talk about the fishing and flies and tides and then I hope to hear him say to me, " I love it down here, I took up fly fishing a couple years ago , after college and other stuff, but my first time down here and when I first saw flyfishing was when I came down on a Big Brother event...always thought about it over the years, and was drawn back, do you know anything about those events?":smile:

flydoc
06-18-2010, 03:58 PM
with the usual sluggos which should be more than adequate

Juro- I made sure to pick up a pink one when I was at the Goose Hummock- I know how much you like them:biggrin:

Flydoc

Adrian
06-18-2010, 05:01 PM
********* UPDATED *************

Decided three o'dark thirties in a row is too much for me so, after a lazy start I will be at the refuge around 10:00ish if not earlier.